IGNORED

Heated Clothing

Buster

Picking up my new HexHead RT today. Expect cool temps for riding tomorrow. I've heard that none of the factory installed accessory outlets are rated at high enough amperage to drive the electric clothing.

I plan to add another outlet wired to the battery for this purpose but am wondering if this is really ncessary. I still can't believe BMW would build a sport tourer not set up for heated clothing right out of the box.

Any thoughts on this subject will be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks, guys. I hope the rumors I heard were in error. Apparently your experience indicates that they were. We'll see when I get the jacket liner and gloves "cooking" at full heat in the next couple of days.

Thanks again for the input. clap.gif

My Gerbing heated jacket liner does just fine off the stock power outlet, used it this morning 24 degrees will be using it again in less than an hour for a 3 hour trip back the the old home place.

There may be an issue, maybe, not, but, my experience is as follows.. Widder vest fine in accessory socket on 05 GS. Widder vest with sleeves= no heat! I switched to Gerbings anyway, and wired it to battery and have no problems.

I think it depends on how much clothing you wear. I have Gerbings jacket liner, pants liner, and socks. I used their furnished connector, thinking that the 5amp socket wouldn't handle the load.

Very timely post,my wife almost froze today returning from Northern Ca. She insisted that her Gerblings were not working and I assumed she did something wrong,until my BMW vest did not seem to work either.

We need Fernando or Paul,to enter the conversation....IS THERE A PROBLEM with R1200RT'S powering up heated clothing,from their power ports??????

Steve

Buster..

Page 87 of the R1200RT manual will give you what you need to know. Basically, the total load of the accessory sockets is limited to a total draw of 10 amps.

I guess that would equate to around 120-125 watts.

Gerbings jacket liner is what, 77 watts if I remember correctly? It might be ok for one up, but probably will need to add another outlet if two up. Just use a Gerbings BMW outlet kit, it will have a harness, 15 amp fuse, and ring terminations for the battery. Probably 25 bux or so.

Total draw on the two ST sockets is 5 amps according to my manual. Why different to the RT I don't know.

I've an Stormrider (e-x-o) heated vest and that will not work with my sockets so I've had to wire in the supplied harness direct to the battery.

Archived