IGNORED

Stalls/Dies - Ignition Wiring harness

Jonathan Burke

Jonathan Burke

2000/1100 : 110,000K's

Periodically "dies" / "skips a beat" when coasting to a stop, or at idling speed. Replaced plugs, (Hall sensor was replaced 30,000 K's ago), checked HT leads... replugged all connectors... eventually traced the problem to:

Ignition wiring harness coming from ignition switch. 3 wires of the 5 in the loom were broken through!! Where the harness is 'cable tied' to the frame -> *CHECK*!!!!

(These wires are enclosed in the black sleeving.... not visible.)

Again, I am disappointed by the *quality* of the ignition wire used by BMW (related past issue : Hall sensor wiring!!!) in a 'high movement' area!!!!

Quick test of your iginition harness wire : gently 'tug / pull' on the ignition loom....

To remove the harness plug from the ignition switch : Right hand side of ignition switch is a dollop of red paint. Under the paint - using a FLAT 2,5 mm screwdriver, unscrew the 'grub' screw.. AND DON'T LOOSE IT!!! (Very small...)

Been there, done that. 2001 R1100R with about 25,000. I was a little disappointed in the quality of that harness as well. My symptoms really freaked me out. The bike would only stall/sputter when the bars were turned full left. It took me forever to put the pieces together and start to track down the wiring gremlin. It felt great to finally find the problem though. clap.gif

Apparently it's a problem more common that we think. The plastic coating on the wires becomes hard with age and eventually makes intermittent connection on the ignition. A preventative measure is to take off the first cable tie from the headstem allowing the cables more movement.

At least it's fixable!

Archived