IGNORED

Proof positive they're out to kill us

BerndM

Hard to tell in the video - your buddy is a bit in the distance, but it appears the car sped up to pass him, but your friend also sped up. The car thought it was past him when it merged into the middle lane.

Hard to tell the relative speeds in the video. Either you dropped back, or he sped up.

Which is not to refute your message's title.

It is required to keep your head on a swivel out there.

Hard to tell in the video - your buddy is a bit in the distance, but it appears the car sped up to pass him, but your friend also sped up. The car thought it was past him when it merged into the middle lane.

Hard to tell the relative speeds in the video. Either you dropped back, or he sped up.

Afternoon Shaman97

That’s what it looked like to me also. The black car is going noticeably faster than the bike in the right lane then all of a sudden the bike and car are at the same speed.

All I saw was what I consider an everyday occurrence around my area here -- a car trying to sneak around on the right and a rider trying to block & not let the car in.

Even if the video is deceiving it looks like the bike wasn’t going to give that car the room he needed to get in so I can’t agree with the title. I haven’t a problem with either the bike or the car (normal daily traffic jockeying). But I always refer to my uncles early words to me when I started driving many moons ago. “Remember son”, mass always has the right of way. You want to block a car with a bike you are welcome to but I sure won’t.

Been me on that front bike that car wouldn’t have been able to do that—Once I saw that car coming in my mirror or peripheral I would have either backed off & let him in or leaned on the throttle just enough to be in front of his bumper that he would have to go behind me.

russell_bynum

Afternoon Shaman97

That’s what it looked like to me also. The black car is going noticeably faster than the bike in the right lane then all of a sudden the bike and car are at the same speed.

All I saw was what I consider an everyday occurrence around my area here -- a car trying to sneak around on the right and a rider trying to block & not let the car in.

Even if the video is deceiving it looks like the bike wasn’t going to give that car the room he needed to get in so I can’t agree with the title. I haven’t a problem with either the bike or the car (normal daily traffic jockeying). But I always refer to my uncles early words to me when I started driving many moons ago. “Remember son”, mass always has the right of way. You want to block a car with a bike you are welcome to but I sure won’t.

Been me on that front bike that car wouldn’t have been able to do that—Once I saw that car coming in my mirror or peripheral I would have either backed off & let him in or leaned on the throttle just enough to be in front of his bumper that he would have to go behind me.

That's what I saw, too.

Looked like the car didn't want to get boxed in, so he/she accelerated to get in ahead of the bike. The bike decided to be an asshat and accelerated to block. The car started over...it's hard to tell...if the car was already ahead of the bike slightly, perhaps the bike was in his/her blind spot? That would agree with what happened next...the car saw that the bike was still there and moved back over. At that point, the bike slowed down again, continuing to block the car.

But even if the car was intentionally trying to muscle through, so what? Move left 3 feet, crank down on the loud handle, split through the gap between the #1 and #2 lanes (that gap is big enough I could fit my car through it) and get clear ahead of that clump of traffic. It should have been a complete non-event.

You guys might be right. I'll have to re-view the video because if that is the case and my buddy sped up to prevent the black car from pulling in, then I will have to provide him with an appropriate ass-chewing.

For some reason, things always look different while they're going on than when viewed after the fact.

There are comments I agree with and some I disagree with.

First off it looks as tho BerndM backs off seeing something might happen, NOT his buddy speeding up to block the car....not positive of course, just what it looks like because if you watch the cars in the other lane the front bike stays relatively even with them and the cars next to BerndM suddenly pass him so BerndM slows down...jmho.

But I do agree that the front bike guy looks to just not be aware enough of his surroundings. I never let people just drive next to me...they WILL, inevitably move over at some point. NOT saying that cagers have the RIGHT to move over on a bike, but WE HAVE to ride knowing most of them are just unaware and distracted...

Might sound wrong to some of the more conscientous members here, but I would rather risk the occasional speeding ticket than just meander along in the middle of a pack of cars. I lane split, or pick diff lanes and accelerate away from traffic a bit, gapping the texting, eating, reading, makeup applying, distracted cagers to a safer distance. I call it "controlling MY environment"

If some PO wants to cite me for riding a bit over posted, or a bit over the flow of traffic, so be it....I would rather pay a ticket, but live another day.

Heads up out there guys...swivel and know cagers are just distracted and careless.

russell_bynum
Might sound wrong to some of the more conscientous members here, but I would rather risk the occasional speeding ticket than just meander along in the middle of a pack of cars. I lane split, or pick diff lanes and accelerate away from traffic a bit, gapping the texting, eating, reading, makeup applying, distracted cagers to a safer distance. I call it "controlling MY environment"

I agree 100%.

In this environment, I'm always in the #1 lane and riding faster than other traffic. This puts threats on my right and in front of me. I also look behind constantly for missles coming up on my tail.

Middle lane is a no-no unless changing lanes to overtake someone in the #1.

Evening Bob

That might work in Ca. but around my area the center lane(s) usually move faster than the L/H lane . We seem to have no enforceable “drive right” laws around here so the soccer moms and cell phone users just get in the far L/H lane and poke along at 75 mph oblivious to the world around them.

It’s kind on the new rules of the road—instead of drive right and pass left it has become drive left and pass right.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I never let people just drive next to me...they WILL, inevitably move over at some point.

+1. Whether I'm in my car or on my bike, I don't like lingering with a car in the lane next to me for more than 10-15 seconds. When that happens I take steps to break the connection: if there's space in front of me, I'm on the gas, if not, I ease off or hit the brakes to scrub off some speed, anything to put some distance between us.

beemerman2k

What kills me is when I see Mary Minivan or Michael Mini-Cooper lingering in the shadow of an 18 wheeler. They just go on for miles driving in tandem to that big truck as though life will respect their lane if some unforeseen accident happens. I never ride/drive in tandem with another vehicle, either.

ElevenFifty

I ride (mostly) the left lane or (sometimes) the right lane but almost NEVER the center lanes. In the left, I watch my 6 and will yield to an aggressive speeder. I prefer to stay just a bit ahead of the traffic flow speed and only deal with cages to by left or right, but NOT to both sides.

My first impression was 'Why are you in that lane?' You have to deal with uncertainty and blind spot awareness on two sides ... just get in the left lane and leave all the noise behind.

It looked to me as if the black car may have intended to move into your lane in between you and your buddy but you accelerated and closed the gap. He then decided to get in front of your buddy by accelerating but your buddy increased his speed a bit too. You, sensing danger, slowed down but your buddy chose to defend his lane position.

I'm not saying the driver was not at fault for failing to yield, but it seems to me that you and your buddy might have been able to anticipate cars from the right lane wanting to move over.

I would not be in this middle lane with traffic on both sides of me. I would either trail a vehicle to the right or pass it quickly.

This is a great video for learning. I don't mean to criticize you but that's what this forum is about, correct? Evaluate what went wrong and learn from it.

I never let people just drive next to me...they WILL, inevitably move over at some point.

+1. Whether I'm in my car or on my bike, I don't like lingering with a car in the lane next to me for more than 10-15 seconds.....

+2. Going way back ~ 40 years to my first Driver's Ed class, my instructor drummed something into our brains so often that I still think of it every time I drive or ride. "Always leave yourself an out"

When it comes to riding, this is some of the best advice I've ever gotten.

Very interesting and appreciated commentary guys. Thanks.

I usually do NOT spend too much time in the middle lanes for exactly the reasons mentioned above.

On this particular day (last Saturday) and yes, this was on the northbound I-15 s/o Temecula, and traffic was simply moving faster than I cared to go. I was doing a steady 80mph which is about 5 to 7 mph over my favorite 72 - 75 speed. So to avoid cars running up my 6, I settled for the #2 lane instead.

I was in a cruise controlled 80mph mode and I did not speed up until after I saw the attempted lane change by the black car.

My buddy swears (a LOT) that he did NOT try to control the lane position but then, I think he may be saying that so not to lose "face" I dunno.

He did mention that when the car started to move into him, he honked his horn and the reaction of the car's driver was quite extreme. He reacted VERY quickly and seemed extremely surprised (by the wide open eyes and look of "Oh Shit" on his face. He seems to have been unaware (??) of the bike even though he pulled up on it from behind. Kind of hard to miss the bright red Ducati backpack my buddy was wearing.

I guess no harm no foul here. just another typical example of how alert we all need to be in order to survive.

Again, your comments are appreciated and enlightening.

Regards

Bernd

Nice n Easy Rider

"Kind of hard to miss the bright red Ducati backpack my buddy was wearing."

Bernd, I'm not surprised at all. I've seen far too many cagers that seem totally oblivious of their surroundings. I don't know if it's all of the internal distractions (radio, CD player, phone, passengers) or just their minds are elsewhere. Just have to always assume that the other guy doesn't know what the heck they're doing. :(

Afternoon BerndM

Just ask your friend “WHAT DID HE THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN”.

A car coming up his right hand side going faster than he was and going faster than the vehicle in front of him.

I have viewed that video about 3 times and it always comes back to—There is probably better than a 75% chance that car is coming over into the centre lane at the last minute.

The second that driver passed the motorcycle enough to have the bike out of his peripheral vision his concentration went to missing the vehicle in front of him, not that bike he just though he passed as he was going faster than the bike as he came up on it.

this was on the northbound I-15 s/o Temecula, and traffic was simply moving faster than I cared to go. I was doing a steady 80mph which is about 5 to 7 mph over my favorite 72 - 75 speed.

Just a note BerndM, I live in south riverside county right off I15, that is where I thought that was at btw..., and remeber the posted legal speed limit thru that area is 70mph. Knowing that in Cali MOST people drive 5-10mph above the posted on the freeway...I would say riding 72-75mph would keep you constantly surrounded by traffic and even being overtaken quite often. For me that is not safe.

As has been stated, middle lane makes you vulnerable on both sides, and not going faster than traffic makes you vulnerable from behind. Since we are ALWAYS vulnerable from ahead because of road debris, or the random 2x4 that fell out of a truck bed, or the charm-glow bbq that johnny glamis dropped out of his overstuffed quad trailer, middle lane-traffic flow speed riding puts you very vulnerable from all directions.

Fast lane, just above the traffic flow speed riding, "generally" makes you vulnerable from ahead, and the right or approxamately 50% less exposed.

I do realize however there are still other variables, but ANY amount that we can lower our vulnerability, lowers our chances to end up a bad motorcycle statistic.

BerndM, I am glad you haven't been taking this discussion personal, or thinking that people are being judgemental or attacking you and your riding buddy. I know I dont mean to come off that way. Just discussing safer riding techniques for all of us here...myself included. Still learning after 42 years of twisting the grip...

BerndM, I am glad you haven't been taking this discussion personal, or thinking that people are being judgemental or attacking you and your riding buddy. I know I dont mean to come off that way. Just discussing safer riding techniques for all of us here...myself included. Still learning after 42 years of twisting the grip...

+1 You've been great sport BerndM. I've certainly learned a few things from this thread. (there are no 3 lane roads/highways in my town)But I'm more prepared for them now!

"Kind of hard to miss the bright red Ducati backpack my buddy was wearing."

Bernd, I'm not surprised at all. I've seen far too many cagers that seem totally oblivious of their surroundings. I don't know if it's all of the internal distractions (radio, CD player, phone, passengers) or just their minds are elsewhere. Just have to always assume that the other guy doesn't know what the heck they're doing. :(

There is a lot of HUA (Head Up A...) driving taking place, no matter where you go.

A while back I stopped a car in a private parking lot, all my emergency lights were activated on my bike and it was dark. While I'm writing the ticket, another driver backs out of a nearby parking stall and turns straight into my bike. Got lucky, pushed the bike sideways, leaving an 18-inch gouge mark in the asphalt from the sidestand, but only minor damage. "I didn't see the motorcycle, I was busy looking at you..."

More recently I was riding a spare motorcycle, while mine was at the shop getting a new clutch. I stop a car, it pulls over in the parking lane. I finish the cite, the driver leaves, I'm standing on the sidewalk completing my notes when some jack@$$ plows into the bike from behind and totals it. Same thing, all the emergency lights were on. "What happened?" "I'm sorry, I didn't see it..." Driver appeared to be reading some kind of an add that was on his lap, while he was driving.

Today, I'm stopping a cab for a U-turn violation and right-of-way violation. I pull in behind the cab, which is now traveling in the left lane of a large street, with three lanes in each direction and a raised center divider in the middle. We're doing about 35-40 mph. Emergency lights on, blip the siren to get his attention. He makes some kind of leftward motion with his arm and starts drifting left toward an up-coming left turn lane. I take my right hand off the handle bar and point to the right side of the road. He slams on his brakes and comes to a complete stop in the left thru lane. I find myself braking hard with the rear brake and regretting taking my right hand off the handle bar and front brake. Apply heavy front brake and rear brake, while swerving right to avoid becoming part of the cab's rear bumper. Now pissed, I pull up just behind the open front passenger window and yell for the guy to get over to the right curb. He complies and pulls into the parking lane on the right side of the road. I position my motorcycle behind him, about 8-10 feet behind his cab, and walk up to his window. After I pose some rhetorical questions in a slightly louder than normal volume, the cab driver produces the necessary documents. I walk to the sidewalk and start my cite. After about 30 second I see the cab starting to slowly drive backwards. I figure the guy is trying to re-position his cab, because it is at an angle to the curb. I then realize he is starting to back up faster. I yell for him to stop, but he covers the distance to my motorcycle and whacks into the front right crash bar. I see the front wheel my motorcycle get lifted off the ground and wait for it to fall onto its left side. The driver suddenly stops. My motorcycle is now balancing on its back wheel and the sidestand, with the front wheel about 6-8 inches off the ground and the crash bar firmly planted against the rear bumper of the cab. The guy just blabbers when I get up to his window. When my supervisor comes to the scene, the cab driver can't even offer an explanation for what happened. "I got scared when I heard the siren..."

And that is a "professional" driver. Scary.

So, you don't have to 'assume' they don't know what they're doing, you KNOW they don't know what they're doing. :eek:

WOW. After those incidents, how do you keep going back?! I'd be tempted to give up my bike for a cruiser!

+1 You've been great sport BerndM. I've certainly learned a few things from this thread. (there are no 3 lane roads/highways in my town)But I'm more prepared for them now!

+2 Thanks for sharing and saving someone arse...

Hey Guys

All your comments have been much appreciated and I have digested all I've read here. So THANKS.

As we all know, driving conditions are CONSTANTLY changing and it always amazes me how inconsistent drivers are especially if they are not using cruise control. + or - 10 mph is way normal.

Yeah my buddy is definitely the more agressive of the 2 of us. I tend to try avoid riding next to anyone.

At the time of the video, I was in CC mode and set at about 78mph which for the most part was slightly faster than the lane to my right and a bit slower than the left lane, but as mentioned, that situation is very changeable.

I consider it a lesson learned, and the experience just solidifies my riding database for future reference.

Not much more I can do here I guess.

Again, Thanks!

Regards

Bernd

CoarsegoldKid
...this was on the northbound I-15 s/o Temecula, and traffic was simply moving faster than I cared to go. I was doing a steady 80mph which is about 5 to 7 mph over my favorite 72 - 75 speed. So to avoid cars running up my 6, I settled for the #2 lane instead.

I can't say I spend much time in that area but the few times I have the speeds there are incredibly fast for some reason. Probably faster than anywhere in the state. My record for being picked out of a group of vehicles for a coupon would have me thinking about the 2nd lane too. Although I have seen CHP on on-ramps painting that traffic and they seem to be fine with the flow. Still i hate coupons.

Growing eyes in the back of you head helps in these cases.

Archived