IGNORED

Looking for a good paint shop in Balto/DC area

DerekR1100RT

DerekR1100RT

As I was riding home tonight, I came out of downtown Baltimore on i-83N (near the prison on the right) and I caught a sight of my left hand mirror as it feel off the bike and went bouncing down the road. I back tracked twice looking for it, with no luck (so, in the off chance anyone finds a glacier green left side mirror, there's a reward!!) So I'm on a quest to replace it, I called Bob's BMW only to find they wanted $212 for a new one, primer only. While I'm willing to pay that as a very last option, I'm looking into others. So, that said, does anyone have any recommendations on a quality paint shop in the Baltimore/DC area that when I do get a mirror I can get it painted to match my bike?

I stopped by my bike shop, and he said that all the painters in and around the area that I live in are unreliable. I'm hoping one of you might have some suggestions.

Thanks

Bummer about the mirror. I can't help with the paint but before you spend the $$$ at the dealer check out Beemer Boneyard

I know it's too late now but you can make a leash for your mirror with steel fishing leader or there are sites to buy them.

Paul Mihalka

For a super paint shop: Driving toward Bob's BMW on Guilford road from rt. 1, just before you get to Bob's, on the right hand side is a non-descript gate and entrance to a warehouse. That is Bob's Bodies, no relation to Bob's BMW. He may have a small sign over the door. He doesn't need advertising or a big sign. He specializes in custom cars and motorcycles. That is where Bob's BMW sends the paint jobs. I checked with him 2 or 3 years ago. I hope he is still there.

For a mirror try to find a used one of any color, even if a bit scratched.

PS Check the bmwst Classifieds. Somebody parting out a R1150RTp. I think same mirror.

DerekR1100RT

Thanks for the information. Yeah, I've looked at the boneyard - and have put my name in for any available mirrors that come available.

Paul,

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out and let you know.

If it's going to be $$$ to match the paint, then I might compare the price of getting the bike repainted...If it's going to be $400-$500 to repaint the bike, then I might as well do that vice the $100ish that it might cost to match one mirror up to the rest of the bike.

D

Derek,

You might also check with the bmwbmw.org group, local to those of us in the Bmore/DC area. Might be able to find someone with a mirror or recommendations in addition to Paul's.

Archived