IGNORED

"Camhead" valve adjustment - are yours within spec? mileage?

D-Mac

Curiosity question.....

I've heard rumors that the new "camheads" (2010, 2011 RT/GS/GSA) might be less likely to need adjustment than earlier models.

My 2010 RT just reached 6,000 miles (first scheduled check). No adjustment needed. If you own a camhead and have checked the clearance at some point, please post your mileage and results.

Thanks!

I'll need to do my 600 mile valve lash check soon and can't seem to find the spec for the inlet/exhaust clearance. Are they like the hex heads (.006"I and .012" Exhaust)? Thanks.

17K+ miles, three service events, no adjustments, and still very quiet. Am going to check the lash when I do the 18K service weekend after next but don't expect an adjustment will be needed.

It's also stopped using oil so I'll probably go to syn at 24K. My '05 RT used oil until over 40K miles.

Bill

Morning D-Mac

While I don’t personally own a Camhead I have done the 6K valve check on two and done a 6k & 12k on another.

As to your question of “I've heard rumors that the new "camheads" (2010, 2011 RT/GS/GSA) might be less likely to need adjustment than earlier models”-----

This would have to be true as there is a pretty wide go/no-go spec on the Camhead VS a pretty tightly held precise set-to spec on the Hexheads. If the older Hexhead had the same .005” sweet spot adjustment range you wouldn’t have to do those nearly as often either.

I really haven’t figured out the wear direction on these Camheads yet as two of the 6k valves I checked were all over the place but well within the BMW given specs. I let one go and set the other to as close to mid range as I could. I haven’t done the 12k on that bike yet so maybe I can figure something out when I do that bike again. On the third bike (very early Camhead) the intakes were on the tight side of mid range but well above the min but two L/H exhaust were right at the bottom of specs. I usually re-set (other shim on valve engines) to maximum specs if I know the wear direction is to the tight side but on the BMW I don’t know yet so I just matched the L/H exhaust to the existing R/H exhaust side.

On KLR’s that seem to always wear to the tight side I always set them to the max or even max + a .001” or so even if they are in the spec range when checking, that way they can go a lot longer between the PITA valve settings.

I'll need to do my 600 mile valve lash check soon and can't seem to find the spec for the inlet/exhaust clearance. Are they like the hex heads (.006"I and .012" Exhaust)? Thanks.

Valve check is not part of the 600 mile service on the new bikes. No need to do it.

Jim VonBaden

I've done several Camheads so far and only one is was off, and only one valve. It was just a tiny bit too tight.

Jim :Cool:

• 1 month later...

I'd sure like to find what the specs are - have been looking for a good - which includes reasonable cost, not up into 3 figures - service manual that would include that.

I've got an 11 that sure sounds like a couple valves are clattering at lower engine speed. I'm particular on maintenance and service and would just like to check it for myself.

Thanks!

Intake is .13 to .23

Exhaust is .30 to .40

Steve

Are those measurements in mm?

Brian

I would hope so as .30 inches is .300” which is over 9/32”.

.40 inches would be well over 3/8”

Intake is .13 to .23

Exhaust is .30 to .40

Steve

Are those measurements in mm?

Brian

I would hope so as .30 inches is .300” which is over 9/32”.

.40 inches would be well over 3/8”

Figured as much, sometimes people mistype the decimal point - used to measurements in thousandths.

$20K bike and too cheap to buy a shop manual for it?

I load my manuals on my netbook- it and the GS-911 are on the bike for anything more than short runs.

aggieengineer
$20K bike and too cheap to buy a shop manual for it?

I load my manuals on my netbook- it and the GS-911 are on the bike for anything more than short runs.

Of course, the obvious reply is, "$20,000 bike and you need to carry a GS-911, computer, and shop manual around with it?"!

That is because the (s)dealers don't know what they are doing. :grin:

Uh, no, it's because the bikes can't go more then 2 tanks of gas without breaking down now.

Archived