IGNORED

Question about HES, grips, and throttle cable

kcumbus

Recently purchased a '96 R11RT, 41K miles. Was pleased to discover that local BMW dealer had performed all required maintenance (dealer stamps in maintenance book). After reading about the HES on this forum, I thought I might want to check into that, so went to the dealer and got all the service records. Sure enough, the HES had been replaced just a couple years ago at 38K miles. My question: assuming that the dealer put in an OEM sensor, would I presume that the life of this sensor would be equivalent to the original? I read that there is a fellow that rebuilds these things, are his superior to the OEM sensors in any way?

Also, the heated grips do not work. Are there any common failure points to look for in that regard?

The hand grips are dried out pretty badly, can anyone recommend replacement aftermarket grips, or are the OEM ones required to work with the "heaters"?

Lastly, the throttle cable seems to bind when making a hard right "handlebar lock" turn. Can someone describe the correct routing of the throttle cable?

Many thanks in advance!

-ken c

I'm having a similar throttle cable issue, on Right full lock the engine races. Scared the billy$hit out of me the first time, now I expect it and kill the engine before I crank it around in the garage. I just replaced the front fork seals and oil, required removing the handlebars. After replacement I've got the problem. Tried wire-ties but that seemed to make it worse, not as bad with the throttle cable hanging loose (lightly restrained).

My right grip was dead, fixed it a month ago. Try pulling off the bar weight and carefully peel back the outer grip a bit. Mine was open right where the wire goes around the plastic tube. Was able to pull some more wire loose from the outside of the tube, cut a new notch and soldered it back to the internal wire.

Thanks Ross, I'll bring out the ohm meter and start looking for open circuits. Hopefully someone can provide both of us with the correct routing of the throttle cable! :)

Thanks Ross, I'll bring out the ohm meter and start looking for open circuits. Hopefully someone can provide both of us with the correct routing of the throttle cable! :)

Here it is - not much to it.

Also, if the HES was really reaplaced only 2 years ago, I would relax and assume it is a later unit with better insulation.

5542.jpg.9d6c947fb560d43cff7639546a580797.jpg

Thanks Andy, my throttle cable is running along the outside of the fork leg rather than through the wire loop on the triple clamp. Appreciate the diagram, it's very clear.

I've read further about the 4 cable design (which this diagram depicts) vs the 3 cable design. I'm not sure which setup I have until I pull the fairing off again.

-ken

Thanks Andy, my throttle cable is running along the outside of the fork leg rather than through the wire loop on the triple clamp. Appreciate the diagram, it's very clear.

I've read further about the 4 cable design (which this diagram depicts) vs the 3 cable design. I'm not sure which setup I have until I pull the fairing off again.

-ken

That's easy. If you have an adjuster at the fast idle lever, you have the 4 cables and the splitter box, if there's no adjuster at the fast idle, you have the 1 piece long cable setup.

Dan.

Clive Liddell

Hi Andy,

Just looking at your diagram of the cable routing it seems to show the throttle over the bar and clamp and through the wire loop.

On my 2001 1100RT the throttle cable runs under the RH bar and under the brake hose. It would not be able to pass through the wire loop.

I was wondering if that shown is the routing for the R1150? It seems that the cable as shown is a bit longer than the original R1100RT?

Similar to an earlier post I also have an increase in idling speed when I have my BMW tank bag on and on full right lock. I am in the process of altering the tank bag securing straps to rectify this.

You know, you may well be right, I couldn't find a routing guide for the R1100RT, so maybe I have given a bum steer to some folk. That guide was for the R1150RT, so sorry if that has clouded the issue.

Andy

Archived