IGNORED

Intersection Incidents

Dave39

So I was out on a shopping run on my little Rebel in town yesterday. I rolled up to an intersection ready to make a left turn when the arrow turned green. I got the green while still rolling so continued into the intersection, turning left. I got about 1/2 way through when I realized that a car coming in the opposite direction appeared to be running straight through and right at me, apparently through a red light in his/her direction. The sleepy, inattentive, or otherwise occupied driver suddenly noticed me and with a great screeching of brakes came to a stop part way into the intersection. I saw the car coming down the road, but assumed that the driver was awake. Bad decision. Moral: Always assume that cagers are not really all there or having an otherwise bad day. In another incident on the same ride, I stopped at a blinking red light intersection as required. It was in a relatively low-traffic residential area. Suddenly I heard repeated honking behind me. I turned around and looked the driver in the eye, to inquire about the problem. The driver in an SUV was shaking his fist and vigorously waving at me to proceed. I guess the cretin didn't understand what a blinking red meant. I suspect he wouldn't be behaving in such a manner if I were driving 4 wheels. I continued down the street at the speed limit with the SUV tailgating. He finally had a chance to pass with a great flair and show of 3-ton hp. Oh, how I wish there were more officers out there giving tickets in town. Not a good motorcycle day in Sacramento.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Dave

I feel and hear your pain. Good job scanning!

Sometimes wish I had ordnance mounted on the RT. It's just too hard to reload.

Hmmmm, maybe invent a paint ball gun that doesn't splat, instead it leaves a printed message of the users choice on the back of the cage.

Yeh, sometimes it's so tempting to confront, but probably not a good idea. I almost dismounted the Rebel to stroll over to the SUV and ask the jerk if he had any idea what a blinking red meant.

Oh, how I wish there were more officers out there giving tickets in town. Not a good motorcycle day in Sacramento.
Some members on the forum would disagree with you. A verbal warning is preferred for that driver who almost killed you.

Good situational awareness though, the only reason why I am sitting here to type this is because I never enter an intersection with a green light without checking cross traffic. (or on-coming traffic in your case)

motorman587

When I train people, cops or civilians, I use this phrase, you can be "Dead Right"! Meaning you have the "Right" a way, but people can run that stop sign or red light etc.........You can be right, but on a motorcycle it's more "dead right". Good job avoiding the collision!!!

To the LEO's on here (John and Bob),

In Folsom the officers ride RT-P's. Are you guys aware of training opportunities from local police departments? I know they have to go practice and such, have you guys heard of local cops training civilians on riding techniques etc?

I am thinking of talking to Folsom PD about this.

In Folsom the officers ride RT-P's. Are you guys aware of training opportunities from local police departments? I know they have to go practice and such, have you guys heard of local cops training civilians on riding techniques etc?

Here's what we have in Raleigh:

http://www.bikesafenc.com/

----

Urban Surfer

The fist time I was injured on a bike was at an intersection. An idiot in a small pickup turned left into my lane. He would not admit that he was at fault, he lost in court.

Now I assume the driver doesn't see me, or doesn't care. After all, it's no skin off their knees.

Quinn,

That is great! I have taken the MSF but I am ready to move on to another type of learning experience. I know they exist, just need to check into some of the classes out there.

Dave39,

Glad to hear you avoided the car. I have been in 2 accidents near Sacramento and both times the car wasn't paying attention and I got REALLY close to hitting them. Both times the drivers were females and I could see the fear in their eyes, and I hope they learned to pay attention to motos a little more.

Check out Alameda County Sheriff's website, they offer several civilian training classes. Good stuff. Went to motor school there, great training staff.

Oh, how I wish there were more officers out there giving tickets in town. Not a good motorcycle day in Sacramento.
Some members on the forum would disagree with you. A verbal warning is preferred for that driver who almost killed you.

Good situational awareness though, the only reason why I am sitting here to type this is because I never enter an intersection with a green light without checking cross traffic. (or on-coming traffic in your case)

A verbal warning for someone going through a red light?? Actually, though, I was really referring to the speeding SUV.

A verbal warning for someone going through a red light?? Actually, though, I was really referring to the speeding SUV.

Another member mentioned Roseville PD is using a kinder, touchy feely, kumbyah approach to traffic enforcement.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/10/3541376/roseville.html

I never enter an intersection with a green light without checking cross traffic. (or on-coming traffic in your case)

+1

I even do this in my car as a result of riding. Full and complete stops at lights and stop signs with one foot down (though not in the car - the foot that is :D) is another check I have to increase my awareness of hazards. When that light turned green you had the ROW but don't kid yourself that it's safe to go. The flashing light dude was just a jacka$$ - best to pull over and let him pass. The desired outcome is always to return home safely to your loved ones - regardless of any damage to your ego. Two in one day = bad mojo - I'd head home.

"Ride like you are completely invisible.......you will live longer."

Great advice from my motorcycle safety instructor that I had back in the day :thumbsup:

Archived