IGNORED

my bike needs oil!

wilsons

Im oil stupid.

Theres 20W40 BMW m/c oil in it right now, and I have synthetic, 10W40 4stroke oil "high performance" oil lying around for the dirtbike.

Will these two play nice with one another?

also, what is BMW's idea of a 'lengthy' trip? I rode home like 27 miles from work. is that too short?

after I get that figured I need a rough idea of how much to put in it. obviously depends on where the oil level is but rough ideas are good smile.gif

Thanks!

ShovelStrokeEd

Sure, you can top up with that. You can even, on your next oil change, use that. If you hang around a bit, you'll hear a huge pile of BS regarding the use of synthetics vs dino oil and when to make the change. The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.

HairyCannonball
If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.

Would extra virgin olive oil work? grin.gif

Jay

Only for an Italian bike I am afraid. grin.gifgrin.gif

Tim

For what its worth, and I am certainly no BMW expert, our service manager recommends 20w50 for the hexheads and 10w50 for the wife's oilhead. I think I am going to split the difference and put 15w50 synthetic in both of them the next time around.

ShovelStrokeEd

OK, OK, I guess I asked for that. grin.gif

I'd be careful with those oils that have low smoke points though. Seriously, in a pinch, you could probably get away with any of the mentioned oils for a short time so long as you kept loads light. Sesame oil leaves a really nice smelling exhaust. Pachuli oil for a little nostalgia. Oil of Olay to smooth the wrinkles in the body work. Castor bean oil has been used in 2 stroke race engines for years. Ugly combustion chambers, happy bearings and seals.

Archived