IGNORED

R1100RT Steering Lock problem...

IT Magician

IT Magician

Hello All,

I'm in a bit of bind and would appreciate any advise you can give. I stored my BMW R1100RT three years ago and just decided to get it ready for this season. I've replaced the battery, the air filter, oil filter (and oil), and spark plugs. I went ahead and put the key in the ingnition and turned it to the "on" position and found that only my rear light and front headlight power on. I am not getting any other lights or electronics come up on the "dash". And most importantly, my steering column is locked in the left direction and I can't seem to get the igntion key to turn to the position marked "P" or "R".

Do any of you know if there is some sort of trick to unlocking the steering column? I've tried all day, I've turned the steering column as far to the left and as far towards the center that it will go. But the ignition key just won't go to any postion other than "On" and "Off".

Secondly, do any of you know the difference between the "master key" and the "spare key" ? I am assuming that the key I am using is a master key because it's got the "black" plastic top with the BMW logo. The key unlocks everything else on the bike (the side bags, the gas tank, the rear seat lock), except the steering column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Danny caddyshack Noonan

For the lights, make sure the sidestand is up.

WD-40, used sparingly, may help the lock. There are specific lock lubricants out there as well. Don't recall who makes them off hand.

Archived