IGNORED

120mph in a 55 zone

upflying

I was sitting in traffic court this morning when a CHP officer testified about a speeding ticket he issued. Late at night, dark, two lane semi-rural road, parked on the shoulder with his Stalker radar front and rear antennas activated. Sounds of a screaming motorcycle engine heard, single headlight off in the distance, intital reading, 111 which increased to 120 just before the bike passed by. The 25 yr old male pulled over on his Yamaha R1. Refused to tell the officer how fast he was going. Defendant asked the judge for a break in the fine, judge simply laughed.

$1,000 fine plus a 60 day driver's license suspension. First time in my career I heard of a four figure, infraction traffic fine.

BTW, fishing without a license is also a $1k fine.

How does a police officer catch up to a guy doing 120 mph from a standstill? I'm surprised the speeder pulled over.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Ouch. Now, in a few months, he'll be back in on a 14601.

Had one like that when I was brand new. Didn't believe the radar (night, single lamp) so I checked the internal cal, did the tuning fork and by then he was so far past me it wasn't even funny. Didn't find any parts strewn across the road for the next couple miles so, no report either.

CHP officer said he activated his lights just before the bike passed by, bike slowed way down, passed the officer at the speed limit and then stopped.

This road has limited access, light traffic. No where to go except straight. Both the officer and I agreed the defendant was hoping the CHP officer was a no show. Automatic dismissed if that occurred.

The CHP officer used an interesting tactic during the stop. Using the PA while still seated in a patrol vehicle in "drive", the officer ordered the biker to turn off the engine, throw the keys down, remove helmet and dismount. All before the officer got out of the car.

Déjà Vu as I recall back to the time many years ago when I was getting in house training for a CDL license. The instructor stated if you had any bad infractions on your current operators license you may not be eligible for a CDL (Commercial Driver's License). One fellow in the back of the class sheepishly raised his hand and said he had a speeding ticket but, it was a bad one. Reluctantly after being coaxed, he admitted to getting a 145 in a 55! He had been test riding a Yamaha V-max! :dopeslap:

Very glad to say I can't come close to that one! :grin:

Urban Surfer

I met a fellow rider several years ago who showed me a speeding ticket. 215 kmh in a 80 zone. The ticket stated, to appear in court.

This guy had a prostectic left arm from the elbow.

Paul Mihalka
I met a fellow rider several years ago who showed me a speeding ticket. 215 kmh in a 80 zone. The ticket stated, to appear in court.

This guy had a prostectic left arm from the elbow.

You only need the right hand for the throttle... :grin:

Fish Lake Loop and parts of Sweeper Madness are posted 35 mph, IIRC. Just sayin'. :grin:

I don't know as I am against speed limits, I am not. But I am for speed limits that make sense and are not set for the lowest denominator. I really don't see the point of speed limits on the open road. In cities and near housing, that's a different matter.

The one thing I really don't like about riding is that the speed limits are too low. The other one thing I don't like is that the passing zones are striped for a Tercel, or something.

In Utah the refrain is often heard, though perhaps not with respect to speed limits, "Legalize Adulthood."

I've always wondered why a traffic cop comes to a window and the first thing he asks is "Do you know how fast you were going?" I wouldn't want to incriminate myself and the LEO ought to know. Why do they ask? As Upflying noted the guy didn't want to tell the LEO or the judge. Is it required or is it a sign of capitulation?

CoarsegoldKid
Could happen to anyone!

:cry:

Remember back when the speedo only went to 85mph... "I was only doing 85 officer."

The CHP officer used an interesting tactic during the stop. Using the PA while still seated in a patrol vehicle in "drive", the officer ordered the biker to turn off the engine, throw the keys down, remove helmet and dismount. All before the officer got out of the car.
What would he have done if the rider refused, as I would. I'd turn off the motor and maybe put the keys in my pocket. I always take my helmet off coz that let's them know I'm an old fart. But no way would I throw my keys on the ground.
I've always wondered why a traffic cop comes to a window and the first thing he asks is "Do you know how fast you were going?" I wouldn't want to incriminate myself and the LEO ought to know. Why do they ask? As Upflying noted the guy didn't want to tell the LEO or the judge. Is it required or is it a sign of capitulation?
The correct answer is "Yes" and no further elaboration is needed. If you say "No" you can't defend yourself in court since you told the officer you don't know how fast you were going.

I have a 34 mile stretch thru the National Forest.

55/45 mph

Maybe 20 houses in three small clusters.

"Speed Limit" is ridiculously low.

The 9 mile stretch of 45 has curves, sweepers, rolling road.

At the end of that stretch a right turn puts me on a 2 lane 55mph flat straight road with houses and businesses.

Makes no sense having a speelimit 10 mph lower on a rural road then bumping it up on the 20 mile stretch leading to town ( it is 60 mph on this road a few miles west).

Raise your hand if you've never gone 50 mph over posted limit?

75 over?

100 over?

OK one guy in Pennsylvania raised his hand.

:wave:

About 25 years ago, I spent a night in jail for ~150 in a 55. After 2 years in Germany, 150 didn't seem like such a big deal. :)

Truth is - I didn't know exactly how fast I was going at the time. Top marking on the speedo was 125 (It was an overlay sticker to show past the stupid 85 marking) and the needle was a bit past that.

It was 2 am, on a straight section of I-95 in one of the Carolinas, and not another vehicle on the road. (Except the officer on the shoulder.)

The officer would not write a ticket, said I had to appear before the judge in the morning.

IIRC, the fine (and getting my car out of impound) totaled about $500. That was pretty big money to a 20-yr old, back then.

I ask two questions at a traffic stop for speed.

Do you know how fast you were going?

Do you know what the speed limit is?

Both are intended to solicit incriminating statements from the driver. The constitution does allow you to refuse to answer those questions.

Replies to both questions are immediately written down as notes on the officer's copy of the citation.

Driver statements (if any) are presented in court if the driver contests the ticket.

Based on my expereince, the driver's that say nothing usually take me to court. The motor mouth drivers don't go to court.

About 37 years ago, I finished up a little midnite work on my CB750. I needed to do a plug check, as I had changed the jetting. So I went down to the frontage road in the industrial area, where there would be no (NONE) traffic at 2:00 am. I rounded the corner onto the (Reasonably straight) street, and hammered it to redline in every gear. At 118 mph indicated, which was all it would do, I cut the throttle and the kill switch and stopped along the side of the road. About the time I got off the bike, I saw purty lights on top of a car coming up the frontage road behind me. I figured I was going to spend a night in stoney lonesome. Cop pulled up, got out, and I knew I was home free when the first thing he said was "Now, what the hell was that all about?" Instead of "Face down on the ground, hands behind your back!" I told him honestly what I had just done, and why I chose what I thought was the safest place to do it. He listened, then said, "Don't you EVER do that when I am around again!" Got in his car and left.

I went back a few night later, (Quietly) and in the back of one of the factory parking lots was a police car......I had interupted his nap. Nicest cop I ever met.

Paul Mihalka

When I get these questions, I don't mention speed, but put a smile on my face and ask: Was I having too much fun? At one time LEO told me: Yeah, you had too much fun, but there are others who try to have a lot mor fun. Warning. Was on the BRP doing about 60 - limit 45.

Hey, we just had one ticketed for 123 in a 45zone! Primarily commercial street, but just the same. Last guy only made 108 on the same stretch of road, he lost his liscense for a year, and something like a $2K fine.

55/45 mph

At the end of that stretch a right turn puts me on a 2 lane 55mph flat straight road with houses and businesses.

Makes no sense having a speelimit 10 mph lower on a rural road then bumping it up on the 20 mile stretch leading to town ( it is 60 mph on this road a few miles west).

75 over?

100 over?

OK +70 once

The worst I ever saw someone get away with was a co worker when I was stationed in Norfolk. I saw the tickets the first was for 155/35 and a few more. He got out of it when the arresting officer fell and broke his leg on the way to court and was a no show. The judge was not happy and let my friend know he better never show up in his court again for anything.

75 over?

100 over?

I can't claim personal credit on this one, but...

Years ago I was going on a ski trip with my brother. We were in his then new 1990 Toyota Supra Turbo. I fell asleep in the front passenger seat on the way out of LA, northbound on the I5. I woke up as we're coming down the north side of the Grapevine. I look over and see the speedometer needle pinned at 175 mph. :eek: He's white-knuckling the steering wheel and grinning from ear to ear. As he backs of the gas pedal it takes a moment before the speedo needle frees itself from the pin at 175 mph. He told me he just wanted to see how fast it would actually go...

55/45 mph

75 over?

100 over?

Hmm... does 105 on curves marked at 35 on a 55 speed limit stretch count?

The dude is lucky he wasn't in Ontario. At 50 kph or 31 mph over the posted limit the fine is an automatic suspension and up to a $10,000 fine!

1-19 km/h The amount of km over times $2.50 = fine

20-29 km/h The amount of km over times $3.75 = fine

30-49 km/h The amount of km over times $6.00 = fine

50 km/h+ (speeding) The amount over times $9.75 times $1.25 = fine

50+km/hr (Stunt Driving / Racing) fine amount can range from $2,000 - $10,000

http://speedingontario.com/penalties.php

31 mph over and here your considered a stunt driving / riding or racing. Even if your alone on the road! Racing?? 31 mph!

Not to mention your insurance company is contacted, your rates go way up to the point most can not afford it and don't get caught without insurance, that's a $5000 fine!

Needless to say I'm a pretty sedate rider these days.

Archived