IGNORED

Lastest Data Breach

Ken H.

I suppose by now most everyone knows about the Epsilon breach, but in case not; you may want to read up on it and be aware of the implications to any email you receive appearing to be from the businesses effected.

Fellow Canucks - the ever popular Air Miles program is on the list.

John Ranalletta

Got at least 3 of mine: Best Buy, Chase, Walgreens...

Changed email address on each yesterday. Since I have my own domain, I use the vendor's name in the email address, e.g. bestbuy@smith.com. All mail delivered to my domain mail handler that doesn't have a mailbox is routed to me. I can always tell whose selling my email address.

We'll continue to see this as long as it doesn't really cost the holders of the data when they lose it. I'm sure there are internal extra precautions'policies put in place, and additional security measures taken. But it will continue, because the cost of losing the data isn't significant enough to ensure the data isn't compromised.

A few weeks ago, a local health insurer lost the health records of their members, because a server went missing. They said they would cover the cost of those people if they were to sign up for a service from the credit reporting companies (!?) for the next two years. After that, you're on your own. Peanuts compared to the loss of health records' data.

Hilton Honors as well.

Me too. Got the email a few days ago and wonder if I'll get a Trojan email soon. It happened to me a little over a year ago under the guise of an email coming from a friend. I clicked on it and it pretty much cratered my laptop and I had to go out and change a lot of passwords, etc.

The key to protecting yourself here is never to click on links in emails. Always go to the web site of the organization and find the way to get to the information you need directly from there. If there is no way, start a new email - not a reply - to the organization asking how to access what you need directly from their web site. Insist on that, and don't click on a link they send back!

For personal emails I've taken to putting in random personal things that a spammer couldn't know if I include links.

Copied and pasted from an email I just got:

As a valued Scottrade customer or someone who previously provided us with your email address, we want to make you aware of a situation that affects your email security. We have been notified by Epsilon, a company we use to send emails, that an unauthorized person outside of their company accessed records that contained your name and email address.

This incident occurred at Epsilon. We want to assure you that Scottrade's systems were not affected and your account information remains secure.

The security of your information is important to us and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. You may receive an increase in spam email as a result of this incident. We encourage you to be cautious when opening emails, links or attachments from unknown sources. Scottrade will never ask you for personal or account information in an email.

What's funny is my work email system sent Scottrade's email into a junk file. :rofl:

I got the notice from Air Miles, and I have been getting a lot more spam in the last few days. Nothing sophisticated, though. Might be unrelated, of course.

Anybody else noticing the effects of this yet?

I got three of the notices from three vendors who were affected. It actually covered two different email addresses, and I have noticed no increase in spam......yet.

This incident occurred at Epsilon. We want to assure you that Scottrade's systems were not affected and your account information remains secure.

What's funny is my work email system sent Scottrade's email into a junk file. :rofl:

What's not funny is that Scottrade doesn't seem to get it that they did in fact, via their decision to use it with Epsilon, already compromise the security of your data.

And don't think my radar isn't waaaay up over this. I'm monitoring everyting several times a day. A previous poster mentioned that he's already getting spam email and when I thought about it I have too. It started less than two weeks ago only I didn't link it to this breach because their annoucement wasn't timely. I nuked said spam, of course, and will will continue to do so.

What's not funny is that Scottrade doesn't seem to get it that they did in fact, via their decision to use it with Epsilon, already compromise the security of your data.

Archived