IGNORED

Adjusting idle

casticus

My 04 RT as I fired it up after winter hibernation now seems to have its idle set too low (under 1,000 maybe 950) and when cold won't stay running, backfires a little if rolled off all the way and then roll throttle back on. Any thoughts?

My 04 RT as I fired it up after winter hibernation now seems to have its idle set too low (under 1,000 maybe 950) and when cold won't stay running, backfires a little if rolled off all the way and then roll throttle back on. Any thoughts?

Hi,

I would do a valve adjustment if needed, then a idle sync followed by and 2500 rpm sync.

When performing the idle sync, first take off the 2 BBS out, clean them using a rag and then screw them all the way in, take them back 2 turns and adjust/sync as needed ;) Idle speed should be 1100 +/- 50 RPM.

Dan.

Morning David

Well, if it idled OK before winter storage but doesn’t now I doubt any of the base mechanicals have changed.

SO, that leaves the possibility of oil/or/fuel fouled lower spark plugs or the possibility of phases-separated gasoline.

I guess I would start by removing and inspecting the lower spark plugs, if they look OK and not all oily then possibly a gasoline issue. Maybe ride it a while unless the engine runs so bad you feel you can’t.

Otherwise look for mouse damage to sensor wires or a plugged air cleaner from small animal nest building.

Thanks for the info, I drained the tank and put "fresh" fuel in and it went from not running at idle at all to running at idle when warmed up. I gotta check the air box and spark plugs still. Good advice, thanks.

Archived