IGNORED

Heated Grips and Throttlemeister

topdal46

I was out riding last Sunday afternoon, had the heated grips on, my throttle acted like I had engaged the throttle lock (throttleMeister)

I turned the heated grips off and the throttle sprung back closed as normal, I tried it several times, with the heat on the throttle would stay in position. Turn the heat off and it worked normal

suggestions/ideas as to what's going on ?

With the heat on, the throttle tube expands lengthwise, engaging the throttle lock. You need to adjust it by moving the throttle assembly in from the end of the bars. Not much......if you can still get the throttle to lock acceptably when heat not on in your garage, you are in range. Good Luck!

Afternoon Phil

That can be pretty normal IF the grip has too little end gap to the end cap. The grip lengthens when heated.

Either use a thin washer shim under the end cap (or Throttlemieister) or loosen the throttle assembly and move the entire grip slightly away from the end cap.

Thanks for the input, there has been no work done on the handlebars or grips so it seems odd to have a problem pop up like this, I'll try and see how much I can move the grips around.

I'm had this bike since new June 1999, and the heated grips have been on the bike since I bought it.

ThrottleMeister is a PITA because of this. It would be nice if BMW would go back to there lock screw they use to offer.

I have spent some time "tuning" my Throttlemeister. Remove the phillips screw at the back of the throttle assembly, just left of the turn signal cancel switch. Then, using a hex wrench, loosen the screw that secures the throttle assembly. The adjustment you want is to have the TM just short of engaging when the grip heater is on HIGH, so it's best to do this adjustment with the grip heater turned on.

It may take a few tries to get it right, but once you have the proper clearance, you should be able to engage the TM at any temperature, cold through hot, although the engagement point will vary with temperature. Once I got the clearance right, I never had to adjust it again.

When I bought this bike new in Fort Worth Texas in June 1999, the dealer reccommended 3 accessories, Heated Grips, Cylinder Protectors,and the ThrottleMeister.

I've used the heated grips, never used the cylinder head covers, and the ThrottleMeister, almost never use it.

If you adjust the grip so that the Throttlemeister activates with 1/4 turn with the grips cold, it will activate with 1/8 turn when the grips are hot.

Peter Parts

Combating the strong TB springs is very valuable for long-ride comfort. But adding all that friction to your throttle is a dumb idea.

Use a counter-force spring at the throttle.

Ben

I only use mine very briefly when I need to pull up a zipper on the right side or stretch my hand. I use a Throttle Rocker all the time.

Selden,

I like your descripition, I'll take a look at that Screw, it's still cool here, 36f right now this morning.

Combating the strong TB springs is very valuable for long-ride comfort. But adding all that friction to your throttle is a dumb idea.

It's never disturbed me, whether on a motorcycle, boat, airplane or helicopter.

When I originally installed my Throttlemeister I first turned the heated grips on high then positioned the grip. I found that after a lot of use the grip will slowly migrate inward, so twice in 43,000 miles of use I have had to reposition the grip otherwise the Throttlemeister will no long hold the throttle open. When this begins to happen you can turn on the heated grips and for a short time the Throttlemeister will once again hold the throttle, but you're on borrowed time.

Archived