IGNORED

Tech Daze Manual (R-Bike)?

EricJRW

So I just went about replacing my battery, which meant of course removing the left-side Tupperware. The manual was very helpful for this task.

First thing I wanted to do was send a big thanks to Joe Frickin' Friday who put the manual together. The warning about the tank-side screws really saved my bacon.

Now keep in mind I've had the PDF sitting on my hard-drive since the early days of bike ownership, but this is the first time I've really used it.

I did note a few things that might be helpful to add, so the first thing I wanted to do was find a copy and see if it's been updated, but I can't seem to find it... So that's question one: Where is it?

So here are the three things that might be helpful for other first timers (as once you've done this, you may already know):

1. There is tab toward the nose that needs to be slipped into the fairing above. I did not notice this, and fortunately was working slow, but even though most everything seemed in place, the tab was not inserted properly.

2. The black screws, above the exhaust, have black nylon washers. I did not notice this until putting the bike back together and one was missing. I don't know when it was lost, but it could have easily stuck to the fairing rather than stay on the screw. I replaced it with a (white) #10 nylon washer from my local hardware store (until I can get a black replacement).

3. I struggled with the tank screws for quite a bit until I had the idea to use the other side to get a feel for the proper insertion angle, which is key to the process. By using my Torx driver to slightly back out the right side screws I got a good feel for the insertion angle and managed the left side screws quite easily.

All this is obvious after the first time you pull the Tupperware, but it may be helpful to other first-timers.

So again, many thanks to Joe.

One of the reasons I don't like taking the tupperware off is because I am so anal that I tape each screw next to the hole it came out of! While I am good at working on things I would go broke trying to make a living at it.

I did something very similar... I tapped the screws to a piece of paper. The paper was a copy of the screw locations from the manual. As I recall, only one (in the same color palette) was a different length, but since they were on the sheet of paper, I did not worry too much about it. It was a bit nerve-racking to get the panel to pop, but by going slow and being cautious, it really was not that bad.

I had an ulterior motive to do this work myself, as I wanted to attach a fused power lead directly to the battery. This is to be used by my compact 12v tire inflator. Its rated amperage is greater than the auxiliary power plugs, so I really wanted a direct connection. I'm pretty happy with the way the whole project turned out.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I did note a few things that might be helpful to add, so the first thing I wanted to do was find a copy and see if it's been updated, but I can't seem to find it... So that's question one: Where is it?

Here it is. :wave:

So here are the three things that might be helpful for other first timers (as once you've done this, you may already know):

1. There is tab toward the nose that needs to be slipped into the fairing above. I did not notice this, and fortunately was working slow, but even though most everything seemed in place, the tab was not inserted properly.

I'll stick this info in there and get a new version up.

2. The black screws, above the exhaust, have black nylon washers. I did not notice this until putting the bike back together and one was missing. I don't know when it was lost, but it could have easily stuck to the fairing rather than stay on the screw. I replaced it with a (white) #10 nylon washer from my local hardware store (until I can get a black replacement).

Sold my 1100RT a couple of years ago, so I'm going by memory, but IIRC, all of the black fairing/side panel screws have black washers on them.

3. I struggled with the tank screws for quite a bit until I had the idea to use the other side to get a feel for the proper insertion angle, which is key to the process. By using my Torx driver to slightly back out the right side screws I got a good feel for the insertion angle and managed the left side screws quite easily.

Yeah, the tank screws were always fussy. I had to chase one insert with a tap to clean up the threads; I heard someone else did that and managed to pierce the tank with the tap, which is pretty difficult to repair.

There is a little note of caution on page 8, but I'll add some more detail, including your idea of how to get a feel for proper alignment angle.

So again, many thanks to Joe.

Glad you found it useful. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mitch, we will await the latest issue with great anticipation.....................

And then....where will we find it?

Andy

Joe Frickin' Friday
Thanks Mitch, we will await the latest issue with great anticipation.....................

And then....where will we find it?

Andy

Same link; I'll just replace the current version with the updated version.

I looked again and it appears the only black screws I have are the ones by the exhaust. I thought there were more (at least for left panel removal), but I guess not.

I'll take another look at page 8. I thought I read the general stuff first, but I might have missed it as I went directly to the pertinent section.

Thanks again.

Eric

Joe Frickin' Friday
I looked again and it appears the only black screws I have are the ones by the exhaust. I thought there were more (at least for left panel removal), but I guess not.

Did you buy your bike second-hand, and maybe the first owner replaced (almost) all the screws with unpainted stainless?

Or maybe BMW went with unpainted stainless on the 1150's (mine was an 1100).

Bought it new. I thought there were more, but when I looked things over it was just those two. I'll look again (and see if I can find the paper I was using to keep track of which screws came from where).

On my 04 Biaritz Blue 1150 all the screws are unpainted stainless except for the ones that screw into the belly pan, which are black.

ANDY

On my 03 Biaritz Blue 1150 all the screws are painted black stainless including the ones that screw into the belly pan.

Andy

Triple checked... Only black screws I have are above the exhaust:

th_IMG_7047.jpg

Should be clickable for a larger picture.

Joe Frickin' Friday
On my 04 Biaritz Blue 1150 all the screws are unpainted stainless except for the ones that screw into the belly pan, which are black.

On my 03 Biaritz Blue 1150 all the screws are painted black stainless including the ones that screw into the belly pan.

Triple checked... Only black screws I have are above the exhaust:

OK, so I guess it's just a question of what screws BMW happens to have on hand they day they assemble your bike. :grin:

All the more reason to keep track of where they came from... Of course in Boffin's case and mine, it there could have been some human interaction on swapping the pair since the only places with a pair of screws are: above the exhaust, below the exhaust (also in picture) and the pan.

Now I really want to know what was factory.

It's seems my black screw locations are the least visible...

All the more reason to keep track of where they came from... Of course in Boffin's case and mine, it there could have been some human interaction on swapping the pair since the only places with a pair of screws are: above the exhaust, below the exhaust (also in picture) and the pan.

Now I really want to know what was factory.

It's seems my black screw locations are the least visible...

I have had my bike from new. The screws are in their original position, though they are all the same size so it is only a matter of cosmetics.

Andy

On my 2004 RT all the screws are unpainted stainless except for the ones that hold on the belly pan, which are black. But when I went and ordered a few spares, because I lost one of the SS ones somewhere on the road, the replacements they came where black. Just like the ones that hold the belly pan.

Archived