IGNORED

New R1200RT Owner in CT

Mindman

Hi All,

Just want to introduce myself to the group. I took delivery of a brand spanking new Thunder Gray Metallic (Shiny, not Matte) yesterday. My previous ride was a 2008 F800ST. I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs - the ST ended up being just a little too cramped. Absolutely LOVE the RT. Smoooooth as silk, and for me anyway, easier to handle at slow speeds than the ST. The only "problem" I have is that the Instruction manual for the Stereo system says "US version" but is entirely in French! No...it's not split into sections by language, and there are no alternating language paragraphs.

Thinking that it might have been a one-off problem, the dealer grabbed one from another bike - US Version - French!, and another, and another, and another....LOL.

Looking forward to many smiles on my RT, and to being a part of a terrific forum.

Welcome! :wave: I haven't ridden the newest RT yet, i've been wondering though, how different it might feel from a 2005. Decisions decisions! :)

Pat

Welcome on board.

Owner's Manual in French? I can only assume that the factory reasoned that no one reads it anyway- why incur the expense.... just sayn'

It's part of BMW's new multi-cultural program (or programme). They assume you already speak German or you wouldn't be riding a Beemer. Other new owners will get Spanish, Korean or Icelandic. No fair changing!

It's all Greek to me.

pete

To save you learning French, you can download the manual for the RT's audio system (in English) by going to BMW of Denmark. The link (below) gets you to their homepage. Once there, go to the right and click on "downloade manualer". When that opens, just scroll down the thumbnail pictures of all the bike and accessory manuals and look for the EN version of the audio system (it's a 712KB PDF). The formal title is "Rider's Manual BMW Motorrad audio system".

http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/index.html

YAY for Denmark! Who'da thunk it....Denmark with the English manual, USA with the french manual. Wonder what they have up in Quebec?

Thanks ! Downloaded it right away.

...or you could try to find a nice French girl to help you with the manual!

Congratulations on the new bike. It's a twin to mine. I've got 1100 miles so far and love it.

...Wonder what they have up in Quebec?...

Having bought my RT in Montreal, I can tell you: your choice of French, English, or both.

Welcome. This is a great forum, and the people here have helped me many times, and have gotten me through maintenance on my 06 RT.

Since we're practically neighbors, I'm sure I'll see you on the road.

Picked up my Thunder Grey '11 RT in mid December. After 7,000 miles the smile is still there. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the asylum.

beemerman2k

Wow, nice bike. Yeah, where are the pictures? Also, where in CT are you? I am working for the State of CT on a software contract, so I am often in Hartford.

Hey Beemerman2K !

As far as pictures - they'll come later once I make my mark on her. For now, she's just like stock picture - beautiful but like every other Thunder gray out there.

I Live in Newington, a suburb of Hartford, but work in Trumbull about 45 miles south of there - I LOVE MY COMMUTE ! The Merritt Parkway is a hoot!

I see you're up in MA. I've been thinking about joining Yankeebeemers.

beemerman2k

Mindman: PM me and let me know of a good evening after work where we can meet next week. I'll take some pictures of your bike and post them up here. That, and it will be a pleasure to meet you.

Welcome Mindman,

You might want to consider attending this Tech Day even if you don't have any tech work to do. You would get to meet a few of us from the area and get a nice ride in as well. :thumbsup:

BTW, I'm in the next town over to your west. :grin:

Roy

You Are in With Good Peeps here Mindman. Maybe our paths will cross in the Great Northeast. Take up Roy's advice if you can. BTW He also Has a great Camera and Eye for framing the image!

YAY for Denmark! Who'da thunk it....Denmark with the English manual, USA with the french manual. Wonder what they have up in Quebec?

Thanks ! Downloaded it right away.

Teutonic logic. Gotta love it. :thumbsup:

Hi, I'm a new member with a 2011 R1200RT in Thunder Gray (shiny) as well. I received the same US Version stereo instruction manual in a foreign language. The dealer cheerfully replaced it with an English one.

I came from a 2008 Honda St1300 so the BMW and I are getting used to each other, but things are going well. Only 1K miles so far. Very much looking forward to the great riding weather ahead here in New Jersey.

cheers

"Very few trials in life can't be fixed with a few hours on a good motorcycle"

Archived