IGNORED

Final Drive rebuild

randys

grinding noise from the rear end, photo is what was on the sensor magnet. Going to be doing a rebuild on the drive when the parts come in.

Fortunately I am at home and not on the road someplace!

Got everything apart. The crown bearing, and the rear bearing are both good, the culprit is the pinion gear bearing. Which of COURSE takes a special tool to get off.

The "Lifetime" fluid? yes, about 4 times, lol.

Yeah, thats what I was wondering...

Hope that you can resolve the issue in short order.

grinding noise from the rear end, photo is what was on the sensor magnet. Going to be doing a rebuild on the drive when the parts come in.

Fortunately I am at home and not on the road someplace!

Eww, that looks nasty. But, isn't the GS your only means of transportation?

Got everything apart. The crown bearing, and the rear bearing are both good, the culprit is the pinion gear bearing. Which of COURSE takes a special tool to get off.

Morning Randy

Is it the front or rear pinion bearing? Or can’t you tell yet until you get it apart. Your 05 probably has the shorter rear pinion bearing as those weren’t enlarged until later in the series.

You can make your own tool to remove that pinion ring by taking a piece of pipe then cutting slots in it to match the ring notches, then silver soldering or brazing some square key stock into the slots that matches the pinion ring notches.

it is the rear pinion, or as it is called on the parts fiche, the bevel gear. I have the drive apart. I am going to work on making the tool to take it apart this week while I am waiting on the parts.

Selden, I am borrowing dads truck while the bike is down. 80$ gas fillup vs 25$, that hurts!

Morning JT

Unfortunately that video won’t help him as that video is of the old style (pre hexhead) final drive. Note the lack of hollow center spool and tapered right bearing and lack of pressed on wheel flange.

yeah, before getting into this I read all the different writeups, made sure I had the 7mm allen wrench that is not included in any set. this is all different.

I had planned on taking photos of the disassembly but once the hands got greasy I was not about to pick up the camera.

Archived