IGNORED

2005RT outdoor air temp

Tucker2930

I have read that BMW fixed the outdoor air temp on the 2006 models. Has anybody had their 2005 fixed to read the correct temp. There must be something the dealers can do to get our year model corrected.

I simply don't understand. You purchase something that has a fault and they say its not a warranty issue .... but isn't it a design fault. Who designed it ????

I certainly would like mine repaired under warranty. Can anyone help or at least advise if there is a fix.

I mentioned the outside air temp reading was 5 - 10 degrees low at my 6k service on my 05RT and BMW of San Francisco ordered a new temperature sensor, to be installed tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works. They also said as soon as a fix for the oil warning light comes along they'd let me know. It'll be nice to have them working, even tho I don't check that stuff much.

I mentioned the outside air temp reading was 5 - 10 degrees low at my 6k service on my 05RT and BMW of San Francisco ordered a new temperature sensor, to be installed tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works. They also said as soon as a fix for the oil warning light comes along they'd let me know. It'll be nice to have them working, even tho I don't check that stuff much.

Oil Warning? What about it? Not working?

As far as the temp, mine doesn't seem to be grossly off, though I admit I've never checked it...

Mine seems to start out reading about 5 degrees C too low, but then seems to creep up closer to the correct temp over the next 10 miles or so confused.gif

tickle_my_tummy

I understand that the sensor is under the rear mudguard and that BMW are looking to relocate it - I think this will be done under warranty?

Mine had the little snow flake flashing last night and was indicating a temperature of 32 degrees all the way home.

I checked my out door thermometer when I got home, my body told me is was warmer that freezing. It turned out to be 47.

I will consult my dealer about having it fixed when it is convenient for me to do a 120 mile round trip to them.

I have an 06 and the temp sensor is just below the right side panel that has the roundel on it, in between that panel and the engine spoiler. I've only ridden mine about 1400 miles so far but it seems pretty accurate although I have not compared it to anything else...

My sensor has seemed to be fairly accurate. I guess I'll check it more carefully. "First Beemer" did you break in your brakes? Almost sounds like you are using too much brake pressure and activating the ABS. How long have you had the RT?

My dealer told me to-day that while the 2006 bike has a relocated sensor, no notice of fix has yet been recd for the earlier bikes. He expects that they will relocate the older sensors, but had no timeframe for this.

My dealer says he's got a friend inside the factory in Munich who sent him a photo of the proposed recall fix for the 2005 RT air temp problem. You can see it here:

Photo

Of course, this might not be the permanent solution, but just a "temp fix."

-Eric

I understand that the sensor is under the rear mudguard and that BMW are looking to relocate it - I think this will be done under warranty?

Why would this location be problematic? Does the sensor get covered with crud? Does heat from the engine get back there?

Jay

Yeah I broke them in. I use a 70% rear and 10% front brake balance when braking. I have 17.7K in four months. They started to pulsate at about 2K. I have had 30+ motorcycles in the last 38 years of riding and have never had this problem on any of my bikes. Even my sport bikes under heavy track use have never had this problem.

It`s the front rotors and they suck.

tickle_my_tummy

I don't know why its been a problem particularly. I'm just passing on info from my dealer after experiencing similar issues to everyone else. However one thought I have is that there will potentially be a constant wind chill factor in the present location under the rear mudguard. It seems like the 2006 model has sorted this.

I have had my 1200Rt since the end of July, the ambient temp has always read about 5 degrees cool. About a month ago I took the bike in for the 6K service (bike had 7K on it.). The battery had been going dead on me so they replaced it and updated the software on the bike. Since that the temp reading has been erratic, sometimes it reads cool and sometimes it reads warm, it never reads right. I don't know if the temp reading is a function of the software, but I don't know what else it could be.The battery has not given me any more problems, they told me that they have had a batch of bad batteries. They also took off the factory Dunlops and replaced them with the Pilot Roads, so far so good but only time will tell if that is what I will stay with. I am Curious about the Conti tires, I think they are callled the Road Attack.

UPS just dropped off my new Conti RA's tonight. Stock Dunlops with 5500 are showing the wear. I will let you know how I feel about the new ones as I get some experience with'um.

I also just installed the new Aeroflow tall screen and deflector kit and took it out for an 8 mile ride. Looks as if this will be the cat's meow for us tall guys. clap.gif

I had the RT out today and when I got home I checked the bike temp reading and compared it against the outdoor thermometer on the house. Only about 1 degree difference. There have been times when it did seem to be quite a bit off. Maybe it is more accurate in certain ranges? I dont know.

Rich

My one is showing 5 degrees too cold too. I looked at the sensor under the back mudguard, had a brain wave and cut out some styrofoam to fit in the hole and cover the sensor.

Guess what??? smirk.gif

Didn't make a blind bit of difference!!! dopeslap.gif

I'll wait for the fix....

Archived