IGNORED

Wal-Mart CEO to America

1LIFE2LIVE

I've commented on this in a couple of other threads. I've lived through a couple of inflationary cycles and it ain't fun. I'm looking forward to retirement someday but with inflation coming down the pike the time keeps getting pushed back. Will I pull the trigger when I'm 65, 67, 69, 70? If I can't afford to live decently I might be one of these guys who dies at his desk LOL. Anyone got a strategy or solution to cope?

I'm already seeing inflation. I just paid $4.19 for a 24 oz. jar of Claussen pickles at my local grocery store. Last time I'm doing that. I will spend that $4.19 on a gallon of gas instead.

I know what's causing inflation but my reply is political, so I will keep my mouth shut.

As far as strategies go, investing in companies that make the stuff that is needed to bring in commodities is a way to go......Never buy the gold, own the shovel company. Buy stock in the outfit that makes drill heads for oil exploration, rather than the oil company.

Otherwise, collectible commodities can work as well. Last inflationary cycle, collectible gold coins did much, much better than than inflation, and much better than bullion, Krugerrands, stocks or bonds.

From the other direction, you could work at developing a taste for pet food..... :dopeslap:

Paul Mihalka
I've commented on this in a couple of other threads. I've lived through a couple of inflationary cycles and it ain't fun. I'm looking forward to retirement someday but with inflation coming down the pike the time keeps getting pushed back. Will I pull the trigger when I'm 65, 67, 69, 70? If I can't afford to live decently I might be one of these guys who dies at his desk LOL. Anyone got a strategy or solution to cope?

One strategy may be to not fully retiring, but finding a job that you really enjoy even if it pays less. It worked well for me.

beemerman2k
Hey, big news recently at the company I'm at, an employee finally made it to retirement - age 90!

I'm all for being able to retire, but I am also of the opinion that the reason this employee made it to 90 is because he worked. He had a purpose and a mission, and therefore he was too busy to die. I hope I can take sabbaticals someday, but I would hope to never ever actually retire.

John Ranalletta
Hey, big news recently at the company I'm at, an employee finally made it to retirement - age 90!

I'm all for being able to retire, but I am also of the opinion that the reason this employee made it to 90 is because he worked. He had a purpose and a mission, and therefore he was too busy to die. I hope I can take sabbaticals someday, but I would hope to never ever actually retire.

That'll change.

That'll change.

I retired at 49 and have not looked back. Problem with working till 90, he is at deaths door now, no time to relax. His job must have been his joy and his world.

One strategy may be to not fully retiring, but finding a job that you really enjoy even if it pays less. It worked well for me.

+65

Though work as a circus aerialist may be beyond my grasp at that point.

steve.foote

Fortunately, our county is in good fiscal shape. Decades of responsible financial policy has us in the envious position of low debt and high savings. We should weather this without breaking a sweat.

Fortunately, our county is in good fiscal shape. Decades of responsible financial policy has us in the envious position of low debt and high savings. We should weather this without breaking a sweat.

+1; as Buckwheat from the "Little Rascals" would say "Everything is going to be O'Tay!"

RichEdwards
He had a purpose and a mission, and therefore he was too busy to die.

There is no reason a retiree cannot have a "purpose and a mission." I'm busier than ever after 10 years of retirement. Those who think that retirement means an end to a fulfilling life lack imagination. It's an end to doing one thing and the freedom to do about a billion other things.

Joe Frickin' Friday
He had a purpose and a mission, and therefore he was too busy to die.

There is no reason a retiree cannot have a "purpose and a mission." I'm busier than ever after 10 years of retirement. Those who think that retirement means an end to a fulfilling life lack imagination. It's an end to doing one thing and the freedom to do about a billion other things.

Working in one's senior years makes sense if the income is needed, but if not, that's an ideal time to pursue a "purpose/mission" that doesn't generate income; with the need for income removed, one can pursue things based solely on their value as a purpose/mission.

One of my dad's friends was the owner of a manufacturing company until he retired; after that, he found fulfillment working for free as a machinist in a charity machine shop that fabricated custom components for devices used by disabled people. No mass production, since every individual's disability is unique. What a great deal: nobody breathing down your neck to make money, you just get to spend your day being creative and using a lifetime of accumulated skills and wisdom to make the best possible device for someone who really needs it. I hope I can find something that good after I retire.

beemerman2k

We are all on the same page: if you can find a vocation that gives you that sense of mission and purpose, then great! I suppose I am really comparing a life of retirement where you practically do nothing but sit around and shine the bike versus doing something productive and rewarding.

For instance, I dream of leaving software development someday and devoting myself to photography, and to serving my community in that way. But I see this as a career change more so than a retirement. In my world view, there's no such thing as retirement.

Sure you can have a meaningful and emotionally rewarding retirement. You'd be crazy to sit in the rocking chair and wait on the reaper. If you rest you rust. Money= Security+Independence, just because money is worth less doesn't mean a retirement will be worthless. I'd just like to retire in some kind of style-burger bits and Alpo ain't that style!! Hershey's (my favorite) just announced a 10% increase in price and I'll bet you that the size of the candy shrinks in the process. If this applies across the spectrum of comsumer goods& services my trips (it costs) to save the whales will be few and far between LOL. Anyone got a good lottery pick system going?

John Ranalletta
50,000 'McJobs' up for grabs April 19
It's a strategy. The only inventory we have is time. Every day that passes with idle time is lost opportunity.

Agreed. My mother turns 90 later this year, and still runs a B&B with 6 guest rooms. She was hospitalized for the first time I can ever remember (other than 2 elective hip replacements 6 years ago) last week, with a case of cellulitis, which is a bacterial skin infection. Almost as soon as she was admitted, she asked for her paper work, so she could continue working on paying bills, etc.

I consider my present "retirement" a breather before taking on her B&B and real estate business. I can't say I'm really looking forward to it, but I know it will keep me occupied 7 days a week.

ive known people who retired and got bored so they came back to work....never made ay sense to me....why be bored when you can go to movies, go to the library, go to musuems, go riding, go golfing , go fishing, go hunting, go to a restaurant, go to the gym, take the dog for a long walk,, visit a nursing home,etc etc etc

Archived