IGNORED

Glue for kneepads

m_bagg

I just had my RT-P painted...well, the tupperware anyway! I had carefully removed the kneepads, though in the process the adhesive tape that originally held the kneepad on is pretty much ruined, as most of the tape was left on the tupperware.

The pads themselves are in fine shape. My question is, what should I use to glue them back on?

Any suggestions?

M

Double sided tape. Dabs of silicon. Epoxy.

Just depends on how awkward you want it to be next time you take it off.

Cheers,

Radio Shack sells some heavy-duty, or super-strength, or whatever they call it foam double stick tape that should work well... I have used some for various applications and it is quite strong. Note that the heavy-duty tape is a different product then their normal double-stick tape so be sure to locate the right item.

I used silicone to replace the tank pads on my K11 a while before I sold it. Had taken pads off to clean the tank. The silicone worked well in my case.

Jerry Johnston

I tried many different types of tape and glues (which all failed when it got really hot out) until I used something called Seal-All from an automotive store. The tube says it's not affected by gasoline, seals, bonds, insulates etc.

I cleaned up the pad and the fairing as best I could. The I put masking tape over the area and put the pad in place so I could trace and cut, leaving just the area that gets glue exposed. Then I put the glue on the pad, next the fairing and waited till nearly dry. I put the pad on, removed the tape and it's been on for a couple of years with out coming loose. It may be the pad will be ruined if I ever decide to repaint but I have a spare set in stock just for such a time.

Clive Liddell

I also used silicone sealant. My bike is neon blue so the black "car" silicone blended in best where it may show a little between pad and fairing. If your bike is white I think white silicone may be best?

There is a silicone type adhisive called "The Right Stuff" you will find it at Napa automotive stores it is awsome. Withstands anthing that I know of and it STICKS.

So I ended up using the "HiTemp/HiStrength Supermount Tape" that you can get from Radio Shack (who knew!). The tape itself is "3M VHB), and I ended up cutting the strips into thin segments that I placed all around the pads.

One discovery I learned, after laboring to pick the remnants of the tape off one pad, is that you can use a heat gun (very carefully, 5-10 seconds for each few inches) to easily remove the tape...phew!

So it works, looks stock! Better than glue would have!!

Thanks for all the tips!

Archived