IGNORED

R1200RT Jammed Topcase

DiggerJim

Ok so it's all my fault & Karma has a way of payback :) but, I have the BMW 49L topcase on the back of the bike (2007 R1200RT) and it's jammed - caught a jacket in the back lip so I think either the locking mechanism or bar is under stress or bent. I can't get the key in more than 1/2 way. And of course it's in "lock" mode so I can't pop the top & get the stuff out. It's not blocked by anything in the cylinder because I can slip a wire (or small feeler gauge) in all the way but when I slide the key in it seems to hit something which I expect is a wafer not moving out of position properly.

So, I cut off the peened end of the hinge pins & drove them out so I could get enough room between the top & bottom to be able to push the jacket back in. Now the top is seated properly on the bottom half's lip but the key won't go in.

So, anyone have any thoughts as to options? I'm thinking my next step is to drill the cylinder but before I do that I figure I ought to see if someone smarter than me has an idea or two. And if I do have to drill it, what size bit - something the size of the cylinder or something smaller?

The good news is my laptop is in it so I can't work tonight :-)

Thanks - Jim

I would try taking it to a locksmith before drilling it out. They frequently have a trick or two they can use and may save you the cost of a new lock.

Did you try pushing down on the top so as to relieve the pressure on the lock?

Just another crazy idea.

Yep :) Even took a ratcheting strap around it and tightened it down, that took the pressure off of the locking bar, etc. Since the wafers appear to be blocked I'm thinking maybe the lock cylinder is deformed a bit.

I'll check the cost of a new lock vs a locksmith.

Thanks - Jim

Try lightly tapping the back of the key with a hammer of some sort after spraying the lock with lube. That has worked for me on several office doors. Good luck.

Max's is going to drill it & drop in a new lock cylinder. They believe it's distorted a bit (it's no longer under any pressure once I removed the hinge pins & got the pants out). A new lock is $30 keyed to my ignition - well worth having them do it on a $900 case vs. me potentially over drilling and mucking it up. Happens enough that they had detailed instructions on how I could drill it :) But they can do it in 10 minutes so I'm going to let them. Of course now I'll buy the ridiculously expensive ($140) internal bag so I don't ever get anything caught in there again.

Nice n Easy Rider

You might want to take a look at this first before you spend that much on a topcase liner.

tlcproducts

http://www.tlcproducts.com/servlet/StoreFront

I've been using their topcase & sidebag liners for several years now. Well-made (in USA), monogrammed for free, double-zippers, etc. And the price can't be beat. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'll look at it but I have their side bag liners for my 1150 and although they were generally shaped okay they weren't as close a match to the case profile as the OEM ones for the 1200 and the 1200's although not stiff/hardsided are much less flexible & hold their shape better (there's a layer of padding I think sandwiched in a double wall construction). I hate paying BMW prices but sometimes they do actually have better quality. I'll have to do some measuring to see how close theirs will fit as their pictures for the top case look like side cases and the drawing doesn't match the picture.

Nice n Easy Rider

Jim

If you continue down the link with the pictures of the sidecases (where the picture of the topcase should be) they have a schematic of the topcase bag and its dimensions. I don't know about any of their other products but both my R1200RT sidecase bags and my R1200RT topcase bag have excellent fits. Since I haven't had any other products I can't compare the quality & fit of these to what else is out there but I've been extremely happy with these. They have given me good use and no sign of wear & tear. Just saying it might be worth $40 to see if it will do the job. :)

Nice price on those! I have the Cee Baileys side case bags and was thinking of getting a top case bag. For 40 bucks I'll have to give that one a try based on your positive review!

Max's is going to drill it & drop in a new lock cylinder. They believe it's distorted a bit (it's no longer under any pressure once I removed the hinge pins & got the pants out). A new lock is $30 keyed to my ignition - well worth having them do it on a $900 case vs. me potentially over drilling and mucking it up. Happens enough that they had detailed instructions on how I could drill it :) But they can do it in 10 minutes so I'm going to let them. Of course now I'll buy the ridiculously expensive ($140) internal bag so I don't ever get anything caught in there again.

Good call!

Glad you are getting it straightened out. ;)

Archived