IGNORED

Speaking of Tire Pressure Monitors...

OlGeezer

Also discussed in-depth in this thread.

As an aside, currently having both the TireWatch and TireGard on different bikes, I'd go with a Doran because they're local to the US. Contact info (for parts, warranty, etc) on the others is not so clear.

Unfortunately, the Doran is not compatible with the R1200RT :(

I liked it the best of the three discussed in this thread.

Also discussed in-depth in this thread.

As an aside, currently having both the TireWatch and TireGard on different bikes, I'd go with a Doran because they're local to the US. Contact info (for parts, warranty, etc) on the others is not so clear.

I have been pleased with the OE TPM or TPC systems. A little pricey but they give real time pressures and not just a go / no-go indicator.

The referenced TireGard, TireWatch, and Doran provide pressures (not simply go/no-go) and provide some type of alarm. The alarm level can be set to user preference. With the Doran you only see one tire at a time and, I believe, don't get temps. The TG and TW provide temps.

They're all pretty neat safety devices. I think they've gone beyond the gadget stage.

RussInParis

Our '08 R1200RT is the first machine we've had with TPM. I really like the system, but on a trip last week (our first longish trip with this bike), the readout was a little intermittent. Every once in a while the front would stop reporting, and less occasionally they both would not report and I would get the warning symbol.

First time this happened I got a little worried, pulled over and checked pressures at a gas station, but they were fine.

Does this mean the batteries in the sensors need to be replaced? Or something else?

Russ

Nice n Easy Rider

My TPM has been functioning for 3 1/2 years without a battery replacement. I have had it do what you described probably 3 or 4 times during that period. It stops working for maybe 5 or 10 minutes and then all is fine for another 6-12 months. I've just attributed it to those "tire gremlins" for lack of a better explanation. :S

Archived