IGNORED

1911 hand gun options.

randy

my son is looking at a 1911 hand gun.

Kimber

Smith & Wesson

Sprinfield

any feedback to help me learn is appreciated.

also he has shoot the Springfied 45 XD and liked it.

Remember my son understand's all this (ex Marine) but I have never even held a hand gun let alone used one. I know in the Marine corp he shot pretty high. He was not the highest rank, but I think he was only one grade below, so he is very competent, accurate and well trained.

So please if possible keep it simple when giving me advice. He is probably looking at buying it next Feb with tax refund, and his birthday is in Jan so we will probably "match" his tax refund to help him buy the right item. I am figuring around $1,500.00 max.

If I need to provide other information so you can help me, let me know. In advance many thanks

I'd go Kimber. Pricey but well made and highly regarded. That being said, I own a Colt .45 ACP (Series 70) and consider it to be the best of breed unless someone's comparing it against a race gun.

Pat Buzzard

I'm on the opposite end of the scale. Get a Rock Island Armory, and throw some after market parts on it. The RIA's I've shot are on par with the finer 1911s at a fraction of the price. Besides at least with guns, it's always more fun to get a base model and modify the heck out of it. It's part of the fun right?

Kimbers are made in NY, whereas many (if not all) of the new Springfield 1911s are made in Brazil. Why not support an American company? The craftsmanship on the Kimbers is amazing.

I have an older, American-made Springfield 1911 and like it a lot. That said, if you want very fine quality and superior resale it is hard to beat the original -- Colt. The Kimbers are very well regarded, too and the Rock Islands have a fine reputation for a budget-priced 1911.

szurszewski

Hard to answer that question without knowing what he wants to do with it: plink at the range, carry it, competitive target shooting, home defense?

There's such a range of options in 1911s out there.

I used to have a Springfield Ultra Compact which I bought to carry (and 'cause my buddy who owned a gun shop was smart enough to point it out to me in his case at a "great" price). I really liked several aspects of it, but depending on your rig most any 1911 -even the "small" ones - is heavy to carry, and the Ultra Compact sizes seem to end up with really steep ramps into the chamber - mine had trouble cycling some brands of hollow point, but worked well with round-nosed ammo.

If I were going to buy another 1911 I'd probably get something from Springfield's XD line...but my next handgun almost certainly won't be a 1911 at all.

5515.jpg.42b3dad2a20e3de9aea14841121f1545.jpg

Pat Buzzard

I have fired many thousand rounds with both the 1911 and the Beretta M9. I must say I'm partial to the .45. There's just something fun about firing nearly half inch diameter projectiles down range...

ericfoerster

Springfield XDM-45.

I wouldn't get a 1911 unless its for fun or comp shooting. The new XDM is high capacity and a match grade barrel from the factory. Fit and finish is excellent.

I carried a Glock 21 on duty for 13 years and this is the only gun that made me change my mind. It is a shooters gun.

i love sigs there 1911 is as good or better than some 1911s costing $3000.... at least check out the sig 1911 tac ops....one can't get a more accurate pistol out of the box than a sig....i believe they are as reliable as a glock.....but you gotta keep em well lubed

As much as I like my single action 1911 it spooks me a little for concealed carry. I know there are multiple safeties on a 1911, but cocked and locked makes me nervous. Ironically, my usual carry piece is a Kahr MK9 which is double action only and like a Glock has no lever safety. Somehow it seems safer for pocket carry.

I own two Kimbers and one Sig. Kimber is leaps and bounds a better gun IMO. Grip Safety, ambidex safety. It is also more expensive. Lot's of LEO's carry Glock, but I am not comfortable with lack of safety on Glock.

Quote from Kimber site:

America's best shooters keep choosing Kimber. Legendary LAPD™ SWAT tested five major 1911 brands and chose Kimber. United States Marines assigned to Special Operations Command chose Kimber. The U.S.A. Shooting Rapid Fire Pistol Team trains for Olympic competition with a Kimber. Most recently, LAPD™ SIS transitioned to Kimber. They all chose Kimber for the same reason: quality, dependability and accuracy.

No Affiliation....

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, I'm down to 2 handguns. A 1911, but not exactly, it is a Colt Delta Elite, and is 10mm not .45, also a series 80 design.

The second, cause I like to keep my guns working the same, is a Browning Hi Power. Same controls as the 1911, designed by the same guy, after all. 14 shots and 9mm parabellum rather than .45. I find it, overall, to be a better gun. More mag capacity, I hate stuffing rounds in a mag. Shoots better than I can hold it and the slightly fatter grip makes for a more comfortable hand at the end of a couple hundred rounds of fun.

I once set out to own one of every brand/model of .45 made. At one point, I was up to 37 guns and worried my gun safe would crash through the floor. Still hadn't made a dent in the market either.

This is definitely not a thread you'd read on a Canadian forum.

When I was in the Canadian Forces I spent a bit of time on the range with Browning 9 mm pistols, but I couldn't tell you which model. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought we were talking about 100 - year old firearms.

Anyhoo, I was curious, so I went to the Kimber web site and saw a photo of a carton of hollow-point bullets. Legal in the USA?

ShovelStrokeEd

Still have a box of Black Talons for each of mine.

I shoot mostly ball ammo as the fun is in the shooting.

Agent_Orange

My first choice would be the Kimber. Second would be the Springfield. Third would be Colt.

JMHO, but a .45 is the best self-defence caliber ever made. :thumbsup:

This thread is gonna be worse than the "Made in America" post from last week!

IF he wants a 1911 style pistol, then the Kimber is the route to go. Yes, you could save money by buying a cheaper gun and then having it worked, tricked, etc...but why not buy the real deal our of the box?

If you're/he's looking for a .45 for self defense, then the Glock 45 can't be beat. I've carried Glock for 17 years and have dropped it, abused it, mounted funky things to it, dropped it again....and they've worked flawlessly. Put a relatively cheap Streamlight tactical light on the end and you have a great home defense weapon that will go bang every time you pull the trigger for the next 100 years.

My $.02, no affiliations. Best of luck and be safe.

this is not for defense, I should have noted that before. He wants to get involved in a local gun club that does target shooting, and something were you go threw a course (forgot what he called that).

Still have a box of Black Talons for each of mine.

Hmmm, me too. Nasty round.......really nasty.

baggerchris

From your choices, I would lean toward the Kimber. I shoot a Para-Ordnance 45 LDA myself.

Now that Para's are made in the US instead of Canada and call themselves Para-USA, they fit the "Made in America" option.

After the Kimber, I would choose the Springfield.

The above of course are if I couldn't have my "Para's".

this is not for defense, I should have noted that before. He wants to get involved in a local gun club that does target shooting, and something were you go threw a course (forgot what he called that).

USPSA? You can spend a lot for a set-up to do that kind of shooting. Or you can just brung what you've got and have fun.

My advice would be to pick up, and if possible, shoot a bunch of different ones and see which one works for you. If you go to a match, especially if he's ex-military, there should be lots of folks who would let him review some of the equipment. A range that rents could also help narrow down things a lot.

Regardless of what he buys, if he gets serious he's probably going to have some work done on the gun.

Ahhh, finally, the most important question is answered; what's it for?

Were it self-defense I'd say get an old GI one in good shape (and they aren't cheap) or a basic Colt. In either case, used is okay, as long as it is sound. The only reason to get anything better than that is bragging rights for how much you paid.

But for competition? Personally, I don't think the Kimber or any of the other "name" guns are ready for high-level competition right out of the box. Yes, they do shoot really well, probably well enough for local competition, but top-tier shooting calls for a top-tier gun, and that means a "built" gun. And if you're gonna have one built, might as well start with a basic model, a Colt or a Springfield, and fix it up. If your son knows the gunsmith he'll use, ask him what he likes to work on.

Leastways, that how I see it.

Pilgrim

Agent_Orange

"but top-tier shooting calls for a top-tier gun, and that means a "built" gun."

True 'dat. The 'farlking' will be endless. Just a smaller version of a 'beemer'. :dopeslap::rofl:

If it is for target shooting, the type of target shooting is going to have a big impact on the selection. If it is for Bullseye, he is going to need a firearm that has been tuned and modified specifically for firing low power semi-wadcutter ammunition.

When starting out in competitive shooting, the best thing to do is go to a few matches, and talk to the people there. They will provide you with a lot of guidance and assistance in selecting the right tool for the job. Often, they will even let you try out their firearms, and even loan you one so you can shoot the match.

Competition firearms are purpose built. Best to know the type of event you will be using it for first, then it will be easier to select the best vendor for that category.

ShovelStrokeEd
"but top-tier shooting calls for a top-tier gun, and that means a "built" gun."

True 'dat. The 'farlking' will be endless. Just a smaller version of a 'beemer'. :dopeslap::rofl:

Clark "pin guns" come to mind. Fast way to drop a couple of g's on a really fun way to spend an afternoon. Damn little more fun than bowling pins.

i am pretty sure this will be something he does for a long time. He sold his Ducati 996 and does not ride anymore. He loved practicing with his pistol in the Marine Corp, and has missed it the last 3 years. He got out in August 2008 and has not picked up a gun since then.

Yes he has a local gun shop/range. He has already rented three different weapons. I think a springfield 1911 and XD and a 45 beratta of some sort. Please forgive me I know nothing of this, I am just offering some suggestions to him based on the vast knowledge of this group.

I did ask him if he has a local gun "guy" to do work/modifications. He knows a couple, but no person that just jumps out. Ryan drives a subaru ZZZZ some sort of sports car made by subaru. He has a master mechanic that helps him to decide on aftermarket parts etc. So I think Ryan understands the importance of a good gun smith.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Archived