IGNORED

Jason Pridemore's STAR School

Pat Buzzard

Pat Buzzard

I have the opportunity to attend a track day\training at no cost. I have always been a big believer in receiving as much training as possible, but question whether a track day would be beneficial or not. I am fairly new to my R1100RT and the majority of my driving is highway driving. I'm a fairly leisurely rider and rarely push the bike's limits. That being said it might be worthwhile to learn just what the bike and I are capable of. However, this school seems to be geared more towards pure sport bike riders rather than sport tour styles. Either way what do you all think any and all input will be greatly appreciated Would this be beneficial to me? Oh here is the link to the school: I've never heard\read of them before.

http://www.starmotorcycle.com/nationalguard_training.html

Paul Mihalka

I have not attended Jason's Star school but I participated many times in Reg Pridmore's CLASS track school. At that time Jason was a instructor at his dad's school so he had excellent training. Instructed/supervised track riding is wonderful training. It's the only safe way to extend your limits and get closer to the bike's limits. Even if it is a more sports oriented school, at your price :) I wouldn't miss it.

I think you'll learn a lot and really enjoy it.

I felt much like you when I enrolled in Keith Code's California Superbike School for 2 days. I had never been on a track with my bike before, and I was expecting the vast majority of the students to be racers or wanna-be's.

It turned out that there were a good number of track tested riders, but also plenty in my situation. They split the groups according to track experience, and everyone got plenty of track time and excellent instruction. By far and away the best time I've ever spent on my bike.

I have attended Keith Code 4 times now, and have another 2 days scheduled in June of this year. As Keith Code always says in his class, if you only have a 1,000.00 to spend on improving a bike, spend it on instructions. It is the biggest bang for your buck you can get. I agree. My first Keith Code class was on my 1996 R1100RT and I had only had one prior track class. It was a great experience. I know go at least once a year, and if I can afford it, up to 4 days a year to various "riding" courses. This year I will do Keith Code for 2 days, and a local school Ed Bargy for a 1 day course.

Go. It's just that simple. I've been to Jason's school several times, and if he still held them back here in the East, I would sign up again without hesitation. As for STAR's orientation, from their website: "The Skills and Techniques for Advanced Riding Motorcycle School was created to help you become a more proficient, more confident rider. Whether you're a street rider who wants to improve your skills to gain confidence and become a safer rider, or a track day junkie and racer looking for answers on how to go faster on the racetrack, the STAR Motorcycle School has a training program designed specifically for you."

And schools like Jason's are an amazingly fun way to improve your skills while riding as quickly as you care to. Trust me, there will be no pressure to ride beyond your comfort zone...not from the instructors, not from your fellow students.

And you get to do it for free? Oh, this is such a no-brainer.

I did Reg's CLASS Class last summer and had a great time. My first impression is that we would have an instructor lead us around the track all day at increasing speeds, but in the third session the instructor pulled in the pits and we were WOT the rest of the day. There was a wide variety of guys on the track - some were awesome riders, some were extremely timid. I'm in the middle, but was able to pass some liter bikes on my little F800, while in turn getting trounced by some 600s.

Prior to CLASS, I had a lot of car racing experience at VIR, and it was pure joy to get some flat out laps there on a bike. And I definitely know the limits of my little bike now.

DSCN0153.JPG

Archived