IGNORED

Fight fires with your BMW R1200GS, sorta

John Ranalletta

Years ago there was a company that powered a portable pump with a two-stroke Evinrude motor, about 100 hp as I remember. It was demonstrated at a fire training academy I attended. It would sure put out some water, but the sound of that engine running wide open was deafening.

John Ranalletta
Is it liquid cooled?
Air cooled w/ fan. Must be under shroud.

Weighs 330lbs, dry. Holds 5.5gal fuel; so, nearly 400lbs full. Needs wheels and drive chain.

On March 24th, 1999, a truck loaded with butter and flour caught fire just past the half-way mark, about 3-3/4 miles into the Mont Blanc tunnel (750 meters into the "Italian" section). The blaze reached 1830 degrees Fahrenheit and burned for over two days. Of the 50 people trapped in the tunnel when the blaze started, only 12 survived. All 12 of them were saved by an Italian motorcyclist...

So, today, the 12th anniversary of Pierlucio Tinazzi's incredible heroism and tragic death, all bikers around the world are asked to carry a flower in remembrance if they ride that day... To remember the bravest biker hero you probably have never heard of before.

Pierlucio Tinazzi

and

a longer version of the story with photos

... To remember the bravest biker hero you probably have never heard of before.....

I had heard of him but it's been a while since I've revisited his story.

Thanks.

Firefight911
Nifty, but I sure wouldn't want to tote it.

.....all the way to your water source to realize the battery is dead, its final drive is leaking, and its new laser cut ignition switch doesn't work.

Oh come on, you all thought it! I just said it.

Firefight911
Years ago there was a company that powered a portable pump with a two-stroke Evinrude motor, about 100 hp as I remember. It was demonstrated at a fire training academy I attended. It would sure put out some water, but the sound of that engine running wide open was deafening.

And our current floto-pumps are sooooooo quiet. Huh, wha, can't hear ya there Ed!!!

Firefight911

Pull cord? Ha, that's easy!!! I wanna meet the person who's gonna pull said pull cord!!! He/She is gonna need someone to call the orthopedic surgeon for the limb re-attachment.

And our current floto-pumps are sooooooo quiet. Huh, wha, can't hear ya there Ed!!!

Our current one is the Honda-powered CET which isn't too bad. Our old Hale with a rusted muffler would make your ears bleed.

Firefight911

We have both as well. Oh dear goodness that floto with it's

2 stroke and "muffler" is true bleeding material!

Archived