IGNORED

Cam chain tensioner upgrade

bluesguitarboy

bluesguitarboy

I did the cam chain tensioner upgrade for the 1150RT. If you have not done this do it now. No noise at start DSC_0900.jpgThe old style has a spring.DSC_0921.jpg

Got the parts, but have not done it yet. Plan to before the start of the riding season on my 02RT. Any pointers? Gonna do that at the same time I put on the new alternator belt.

I've just bought a 2003 1150rt. Ought I be doing the upgrade or will it have the new style already?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the board :wave:

Your bike came out of the factory with the old style tensioner and they are only replaced by the owners, there is no tech buletin or recall. Only the left-hand tensioner is replaced.

To tell if your bike has been upgraded check out the hex head. As you can see in the pictures above, the old style tensioner has a larger hex head than the new one. If I recall correctly, the old style is 17mm and the new either 13 or 14mm.

Andy

I've just bought a 2003 1150rt. Ought I be doing the upgrade or will it have the new style already?

Thanks

Old style has 17mm hex, new style has 15mm hex.

If you get a rattle on startup, and have the 17mm style, you will be happy that you replaced it when you do.

rubberchickengarage.com has a direct link to it. The link also has directions for replacing the tensioner. You can shop around, but you'll find that all sources have about the same price.

This is an upgrade that once you hear the rattling at startup should be done as soon as you can.

A loose cam chain, which is what you hear, can destroy the cam chain rails. Replacing them isn't for the faint hearted....

John Montoya

I bought the bike new in April of 99 and it does it from time to time. Mostly when it sits for a week or two. I'll get to it next time I have it down for maintenance.

On a cold start (bike stored for a week or more) I get a very light rattle for about 1 second. Hot starts don't make any rattling noise. The 1100 has 60,000 on it now.

How long does this "rattling" duration last on the bikes that are being repaired with this kit?

Maybe it's time to think about doing mine :S

And I just sync'd the throttle bodies too. :mad:

Steve Maxwell

04 1150GS I did mine a couple months ago @ 42,000 miles. I rolled 43,000 this afternoon. Makes a BIG difference in noise

04 1150GS I did mine a couple months ago @ 42,000 miles. I rolled 43,000 this afternoon. Makes a BIG difference in noise

... during startup that is, right? AFAIK, there should be no noise difference after 3 seconds have passed since it was started :)

Dan.

... during startup that is, right? AFAIK, there should be no noise difference after 3 seconds have passed since it was started :)

Dan.

My bike also rattled at idle with a very hot engine - the modified tensioner has stopped that too.

Andy

rubberchickenracinggarage.com has a direct link to it. The link also has directions for replacing the tensioner. You can shop around, but you'll find that all sources have about the same price.

If you live in the USA, RCRG is, by far, the easiest way to handle this upgrade, unless you live in a state with no sales tax, right next door to a dealer, who has the parts in stock.

I replaced the left side cam chain tensioner with one I purchased from Rubber chicken racing last summer.......it got rid of the death rattle , so for that I am pleased. It took less than an hour to complete the job.

Paralever bushing install is next.

rustyfingerz

I did the upgrade a few weeks ago before my trip to Bristol, Tenn.

Noticeable difference, quiete and smooth.

Keep in mind, when ordering get yourself two throttle body "0" rings also.

I took the opportunity to clean TB while it is disconnected and hanging there.

Also removed the big brass screw and did a much needed cleaning.

Did both sides. Unfortunately I only had one new 0 ring. reassembling with the old one was a pain because its kinda stretched out,so putting the intake tube can be a pain. I just put some air compressor oil on in and put it in the freezer or a couple mins, much easier.

Thanks

Archived