IGNORED

AZ Route Suggestion Please

Kathy R

I'm planning a little ride out to UT by way of AZ. I'm looking for route suggestions for the following sections:

Albuquerque to Gilbert AZ

Goodyear AZ to Sedona - this one is too simple, right? :grin:

Sedona to Where should I go to see the Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon to Zion

I would like to stay on pavement. I've ridden some gravel and dirt, but with a loaded bike and riding alone I don't want to add the complication. I'm planning to stop for the night in Gilbert, maybe Sedona, Grand Canyon area and possibly Zion.

Looking for suggestions for where to stay in

Sedona

Grand Canyon area

Zion

I'm happy with clean, neat, walk to eat/beer and inexpensive or nicer

I don't need to spa it this trip

No camping this trip

I am thinking of making this series of sections over the course of 5 days, so as to allow for some sight seeing. Sound reasonable?

This trip should put about 6500 on the meter.

All my thanks for your suggestions, in advance :thumbsup::)

Dennis Andress

You're going to miss all the good stuff.

There's good riding North of Albuquerque. Check out Sipapu, New Mexico.

If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon, then that is probably something you've got to do. Sedona is cool, and Hwy 89A is too, but they're crowded and touristy. For a ride to remember try going to Srpingerville, Arizona from Albuquerque. Then take US 180 South, and return via US 191. US 191 used to be US 666; The Devil's Highway. I remember it as 120 miles of footpeg to footpeg curves. After a good night's rest, you could ride from Springerville to Show Low, Arizona and then on to Camp Verde, Airzona. That'll put you real close to Sedona. You could still catch the Grand Canyon on the way to Torrey.

Arizona has a lot of Highway Patrol -- when I lived there in the late '80s they bragged that for Labor Day weekend they'd have one car for every mile of Interstate. These days most of them are unmarked...

Dennis

Arizona has a lot of Highway Patrol -- when I lived there in the late '80s they bragged that for Labor Day weekend they'd have one car for every mile of Interstate. These days most of them are unmarked...

Yeah, but if you sweet talk 'em, and flash your fireman id, they might just cite you for wasting natural resources, instead of speeding. :clap::rofl::rofl::S

Don't ask Jamie and Whip how they know though, just saying. :D

Dennis Andress

Yeah, you can sweet talk them. The one I blew by at XXX wrote me up for "99 plus" and told me to immediately leave Arizona, at no more than 65 mph. He chased me down half on hour later, just to make sure I was doing 65...

My buddy in Tucson wrenches for the Arizona Hwy. Patrol. He sent me a picture last year of some equipment hidden behind that grill of a patrol car. There was a license plate reader, and a GPS dart.

Kathy,

The best way to go from Goodyear to Sedona is via Jerome the back way through Wickenburg and Prescott. The ride is beautiful and you will love it.

I personally think that if I were coming from ABQ, I would go South on I 25 and either go over 60 to highway 180 via 12 and see the VLA (Big Radio Telescopes) or if you want more twisties, go down 25 and cut accross 152 to Silver City and then UP 180 to NM/AZ 78 which is Mule Creek Road. I think that it is one of the BEST roads and Howard and I try and ride it at least once a year.

156559715_Mb2Du-L.jpg

Mule Creek Road

As much as the Devils Highway is a cool road, I wouldn't say it is one of my all time favorite AZ motorcycle roads. Especially if you have to make some more miles and ride to Gilbert in a day.

From 78 just motor down to highway 70 and into Globe before heading on AZ 60 to Gilbert. That would be a glorious day in my book.

Can't wait to see ya!!

I enjoyed my stay in Bisbee at the Copper Queen hotel, It is kind of a neat little town but it is just about exactly in the middle of nowhere.

All good THANKS SO MUCH!

I'm riding out from NY, through IN, MO, & OK as fast as possible

into Albuquerque to meet a client for a day and a half

and then to Gilbert and Goodyear to visit family

Then I thought I'd check out places I've never seen, on my way to Torrey

With all these suggestions I'll have to make some tough decisions

and probably just pack more socks :grin:

Jack Herbst

Hi Kathy R. Nice to meet a real BMW rider who is not afraid of mileage. I like your little girl picture.

If I were going from ALB to Gilbert I would take I-25 south from ALB to Socorro then 60 all the way to Gilbert. It is a good ride through interesting semi-Mountain country. A few small towns and you cross the Contental Divide at Pie Town. Quemado has a great little restaurant on the west side of town (southside).Continue on to Springerville, AZ Show Low, Globe, Apache Junction and left a couple of miles to Gilbert, AZ. This is a very nice two lane road all the way from Socorro to Gilbert. I 40 is a very boring and sometimes dangerous road.

Jack

Hi Kathy R. Nice to meet a real former BMW now Suzuki rider who is not afraid of mileage.

I fixed it for ya ;)

Were it not for the BMW I never would have developed this love of crossing state lines.

Thanks for the route help. I really appreciate it, Jack!

TracyMurphy
You're going to miss all the good stuff.

There's good riding North of Albuquerque. Check out Sipapu, New Mexico.

If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon, then that is probably something you've got to do. Sedona is cool, and Hwy 89A is too, but they're crowded and touristy. For a ride to remember try going to Srpingerville, Arizona from Albuquerque. Then take US 180 South, and return via US 191. US 191 used to be US 666; The Devil's Highway. I remember it as 120 miles of footpeg to footpeg curves. After a good night's rest, you could ride from Springerville to Show Low, Arizona and then on to Camp Verde, Airzona. That'll put you real close to Sedona. You could still catch the Grand Canyon on the way to Torrey.

Dennis

I second the 180-78-191 loop if you can spare a day. Big open pit coper mine north of Clifton.

http://www.colindaylinks.com/arizona/morenci1.html

Here is my recommendation!! as there are many good ones listed.

From ABQ head to Socorro and across 60 (just to say you saw the Very Large Array (Contact movie). Over 260/60 to Show Low. Down to Globe and across to Gilbert (or to Payson and down 87). From Goodyear up to WIckenburg, take 89 to Prescott and Sedona. Stay anywhere, but eat at Elote Cafe behind the BW Ransom Inn on 179 just out of the main town. Open Tue-Sat 5-8 no Res(ie, stand in line at 4:30!)

up 89 to Flagstaff and 180 to South Rim Grand Cyn, stay and eat at El Tovar Hotel IF possible!

Follow 64 to Cameron 89 to Jacobs lake and 389 and 59 to Hurrican and into Springerville (Zion) stay at Flannagan's Inn and eat at Spotted Dog Cafe (hotel grounds). Then to 89 via park road and up to 12 and to Torrey. Most riders stay at Austin's but probably full, I like the old Wonderland on the hill-but has a new name?? BUT, a must eat is Cafe Diablo (res recommended). If there for another night or two, go to Boulder for evening meal at Hell's Backbone Grill at Boulder Mtn Ldg, but make res there too.

Sorry for being so opinionated.

Allen.

I cannot wait to see and ride these areas!

I'm going to have to do this trip more often.

Cafe Diablo - Isn't it the most amazing thing to find yourself in the middle of what seems like nowhere, only to find cuisine of that quality!

Chuckwagon - Oh yeah! I emailed Randy and Co. many months ago ;)

Kathy,

So you know Diablo, so believe me on the others. FYI, others in the area.

Kanab- Rocking V

Bluff-Cow Canyon TP and Rest. Dinner only, and only 1 entree per night

Durango- Ken and Sue's

Santa Fe-Coyote Cafe

Winslow-La Posada Hotel

These are all Southwestern cuisine ,nee. Ken's but even they are somewhat.

Now you'll return 25 pounds heavier.

Allen.

PS: I consider, btw, 191(old666) to be one of the great hwys of the world. 525 switchbacks in100 miles, add that to US 180 as a loop and you have perfection.

Charles Elms

Kathy,

You are probably used to being able to find gas within 30 or 40 miles. Do NOT make that assumption in the desert west. With non linear fuel guages, strong headwinds, and stations that might be closed, do not let you gas fall below 1/2. If you suck it dry, it's a long, possibly hot, walk to assistance. I was within a few ounces of going dry just short of Vaughn, on highway 60 just west of the VLA. Very desolate compared to east coast. I would not have been able to park my bike on pavement if I ran out of gas. Two lane road, no shoulders, and bar ditch on side. I dropped speed to 40, lowered windshield, and bent over. Prayed I made it to the top of the next hill. Made it, but just barely. Never again.

You will love the area.

Thank you for the heads up, Charles. That is a great reminder for me, as it's been 7 years since I was out that way. I tend to be cautious, but with my memory this is good advice indeed.

Lot's of reasons to miss the super tanker known as RT ;)

Allen, You know, I was on a Rt 666 in AZ when I went to Torrey the first time. I'd come south through CO on US 25 to avoid snow in the passes. I went down to Ratoon (sp?) and then west and up into UT from the south. As some point that morning I was on Rt 666. Gave me the creeps in a Roman Catholic kind of way :grin:

And then I discovered I'd lost my fanny pack with my phone, wallet, jewelry ( I know, stupid - first and last time I EVER traveled with bangles ) and assorted beloved things. All of those things ended up on a road near Las Vegas, NM.

Thank goodness I'd taken advice and put my license, $50 and a Visa in my overpant pocket. When I got to Torrey I was handed a delightful "only for you" :dopeslap: cash advance :)

I cannot wait to see and ride these areas!

I'm going to have to do this trip more often.

Cafe Diablo - Isn't it the most amazing thing to find yourself in the middle of what seems like nowhere, only to find cuisine of that quality!

Chuckwagon - Oh yeah! I emailed Randy and Co. many months ago ;)

Will be good to see you again! :clap:

Kathy,

Just to clairify myself, the 666/191 and 180 loop I was refering to, is South of Springerville,AZ. Both roads are between there and Clifton,AZ.

But I do believe all the states 666 runs thru were changed to 191 or 491, because of the connotation. Sorry to hear of your goodies loss!

What I was suggesting, was a possibe loop enroute the Phoenix area, to take in the 'Coronado Trail'...its other name! Just another way to get there, as someone mentioned.

Enjoy your trip.

Allen.

Jack Herbst

666-191-Devils Highway-Coronado Trail IMO very overated and a long way off the trail to your destination. Head down 60 from Show Low to Globe on your way to Gilbert. You will be traveling down and up the Salt River Canyon. Exiting, and incredible views with a challenging ride. Many Kodak moments.

We have a summer home in Show Low and make this drive/ride often.

Looking forward to meeting you in Torrey.

Jack

excellent road

Kathy, So you know Diablo,

996286043_oAR26-L.jpg

Yes, Kathy, love those flowery delights from Chef Gary at Diablo.

Whatever routes you take have a wonderful trip and say hello to Janet B, (via British Bob).

Allen.

Archived