IGNORED

Crack on my Cat converter

tgregg

Anybody dealt with a cracked Cat? I'm thinking it needs replacement but I have questions: New Cat? Whole new after market pipe? I want quiet so stock is good but cost is always an issue. Any thoughts?

Evening Gregg

It kind of depends on where cat. is cracked. If in a decent location it can be welded. You need to ride by a decent welder in your area and have it looked at. Probably have to come off the bike for the actual welding.

As far as replacement goes-- look on E-Bay and in the classified of sites like this one. Maybe post a wanted in the classified.

Evening Gregg

It kind of depends on where cat. is cracked. If in a decent location it can be welded. You need to ride by a decent welder in your area and have it looked at. Probably have to come off the bike for the actual welding.

As far as replacement goes-- look on E-Bay and in the classified of sites like this one. Maybe post a wanted in the classified.

I'm going to check with the dealer for a "take off" and I might be able to weld it up. I'm thinking a muffler shop could weld it but it would look ugly. Right now it is blowing "gunk" all over the bike.

Yup.....mine cracked a few years ago. That was around 90k miles

exhaust_crack-2_Print.jpg

exhaust_crack-1_Print.jpg

I had a buddy weld the crack, and then I started keeping an eye out in the classifieds for a replacement (the guts of the canister were starting to rot out on mine)

Evening Gregg

Personally I wouldn’t use a regular muffler shop as they probably only have a Mig welder with conventional steel wire in it. (makes an ugly mess of the weld on stainless steel)

You want a professional welder that will TIG weld it using a 30 or 40 series stainless steel filler rod. A good welder can make it look pretty darn good after repair.

Agreed........you need a good TIG welder.

Here is what mine looked like after the repair

exhaust_crack-9_Print.jpg

And a link to when I posted about it years ago if you are interested LINK

Thanks D.R. and Keith, good info. I've been in the middle of moving from So Cal to Utah so my maintenance of the RT sucks. I need to get this fixed before Torrey.

I just had one welded that was cracked in the EXACT same spot as yours and Keith's. Go to a professional welder as it is stainless and to get a good weld they have to have the right equipment and wire as well as fill the inside of the pipe with a special gas so it won't contaminate the weld from the other side, etc. I had mine done for $100 from a very good professional welder I found on Craigs List who was doing side jobs from his garage. My welded piece is MUCH better looking than Keiths. ;)

Be wary of buying used pipes. I bought 2 off eBay at a good price and the one was cracked and the other was corroded all the way thru internally. I did get my money back but ate some freight. All of these bikes are getting old now, so if yours is still decent I would weld it or only buy from a reliable source. The aftermarket pipes are outrageously expensive and louder than stock.

Frog

Good Morning Gregg:

There is one for sale on Kijiji in Edmonton complete with muffler for $40.00 Cdn. The shipping would probably be a deal breaker but from the photographs it looks to be in good condition. I'm trying to make it to spring Torrey but sounds like that is too late for you and I'm not sure what the US Customs folks would say if they saw it strapped to the back of my bike. In any event, it is a point of comparison for price shopping for a used one. Good Luck!

My welded piece is MUCH better looking than Keiths. ;)

I got what a paid for :grin:

Keith,

I would have done the same thing if I had a welder and the know how! :thumbsup: It looks good for a home job for sure. How many miles on your weld? Is it still holding up?

Frog

The weld held up fine, but I ended up having other problems with my exhaust. The guts of the canister were literally rotting from the inside out. The bike was starting to run like crap, so I pulled the exhaust back off. When I did, I noticed that I could shake it and the insides of the canister were just rattling around inside. I turned is upside down and the rust just poured out of it.

I ended up finding an almost brand new exhaust for $50 off of Ebay

DSC04897.jpg

Keith,

That one is gorgeous, wish I had found one like that! The rust issue was what I ran into on one of my eBay buys. Sounded like one of those rainstick things when I turned it over!

Well, at least I am up and running again. :clap:

Frog

Archived