IGNORED

This just burns my butt

tallman

that my heated seat needs a 4 amp mini fuse and everywhere I looked (Auto parts, Radio shack) has the;

3, 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, available...

but no 4's.

Will pick some up (hopefully) dopeslap.gifat the dealership.

Anyone have a favorite source for this size?

Word to the wise, pick up a spare. thumbsup.gif

Sorry, Tim. I picked up a handful from the dealer last year and shared them with Laney.

Oooops. Do you suppose that could be the cause of.... blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

I agree Tim... what is one amp + or - between friends?.....

What the heck are you using the seat heater this early for?

Next thing you will have heated gear for the ride to work... grin.gif

Calvin,

ambient temperature 40, speed xx(x), wind chill eek.gif.

Would I be better off using a 3, or a 5 ?

Part of my reptillian brain says if I put in a 5 I could wreak havoc on my circuit.

Your always supposed to go a little less than the max. that the manufacture recommends. If it came with a4 and you can only get a 3.. use it and buy a handful of them. If you step up to a higher rated fuse you may damage the wiring. Although I'm sure there's what we call the fudge factor built in, that may allow you to increase the size. The question is how much can you go in that direction. ooo.gif

Personally I would go with the 5. It is highly unlikely that one additional amp in the fuse rating could possibly damage the wiring and it would be annoying to have the 3-amp blow at the wrong time.

I agree with Seth, Put a 5 in there and watch it for a while. You might have some wires shorting to ground somewhere but a 5 Amp fuse will still protect the wiring.

Are you SURE it calls for a 4 Amp fuse?

Mick

Yes, I'm sure it's a 4 amp.

There are several others too.

Will probably go w/a 5 for now until I can replace w/a 4.

Dealer was out too. crazy.gif

Gotta love german engineering. grin.gif

Just take one 5 and one 3, cut them in half and glue one half from each back together. Presto you have 2 4s!
No, I think the proper procedure would be to just use a 4-amp and a 1-amp in series. wink.gif
No, I think the proper procedure would be to just use a 4-amp and a 1-amp in series. wink.gif

I think that would give you a burnt out 1-amp fuse very quickly. It is the weakest link in the chain smirk.gif

Yes, I guess I meant to say to use a 5-amp and a 1-amp fuse, because then when the 1-amp fuse burns out that's 5 amps minus 1 amp for the blown fuse which equals 4 amps, and you're good to go.

Yes, I guess I meant to say to use a 5-amp and a 1-amp fuse, because then when the 1-amp fuse burns out that's 5 amps minus 1 amp for the blown fuse which equals 4 amps, and you're good to go.

Are you kind of tongue in cheek? smirk.gif If you have a 1-amp fuse in series with anything, when it burns out all you have is a open circuit...

Dennis Andress
But(t) could you do two 2A fuses in parallel? Or 4 1A fuses all in parallel?

Oh geez - this is getting silling. Just use a gum wrapper and get it over with...

that my heated seat needs a 4 amp mini fuse and everywhere I looked (Auto parts, Radio shack) has the;

3, 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, available...

but no 4's.

Will pick some up (hopefully) dopeslap.gifat the dealership.

Anyone have a favorite source for this size?

Word to the wise, pick up a spare. thumbsup.gif

Just use a 5 Amp. for heaven's sake! Fuses are rated at 50% to 100% more than the actual current consumed. All they are intended to do is protect against short circuit! There is no point in obsessing about 4 versus 5 amps! Just put the 5 amp one in and leave it at that!

Bob.

Yes, I'm sure it's a 4 amp.

There are several others too.

Will probably go w/a 5 for now until I can replace w/a 4.

Dealer was out too. crazy.gif

Gotta love german engineering. grin.gif

Actually, this is not typically "German" at all. 4A is not a standard DIN fuse rating. Standard DIN fuses are multipliers of 1, 2.5, 5, and 7.5 or 8. Where "4" came from, I have no idea!

Bob.

Lone_RT_rider
With a title like that, I was really, really afraid to click on this thread...

Hell, I was suprised to see you respond at all! I was starting to see if we should send a search party down to Miami to do an intervention at your work place, drag you down to South Beach and make you consume mass quantities of Rum Runners from a really cute hispanic bartender/waitress. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Good to hear from you again Jake... cool.gif

Shawn

• 4 weeks later...

Replaced my seat today under warranty. thumbsup.gif

Seems it had a short which led to fuses blowing.

Toasty buns again. grin.gif

Now if my Gerbing will get here... cool.gif

Archived