IGNORED

Rear Tire Size ?

Toto

2002 RT uses 170/60-17 REAR and I was recently told (of course it was a salesman) that I could run 180/55-17 without any change in performance, fit or wear.

Anyone have REAL experience with this?

Afternoon Toto

The KEY word here is “salesman”.

While the 180/55-17 might fit the bike it takes a different rim width than what your 170/60-17 came mounted on. Therefore it WILL effect the handling, will effect the tire wear, not sure what performance you are talking about but probably there also.

I was curious about the 180/55 as well. The Bridvestone BT-023 GT is only availble in that size. I love the 023GT on the front. Had the 023 non-GT on he rear. Loved it but wore it out much sooner than the front.

ShovelStrokeEd

You can install the tire but with some caveat.

Your RT has a 5.0" width rear rim.

The minimum recommended rim width for a 180-55 section tire is 5.5" and 6" is preferred.

What you will lose is tire profile. It will have a more rounded profile than desired or designed and the side walls will not support the tread as well as a proper rim width. This will certainly adversely effect the tire wear (it'll get a flat spot in the middle) and is likely to have a bad effect on the handling as well.

I believe a K1200RS has a 5.5" rim, I know an R1100S Boxer Cup or Prep model comes with them. They can be bolted to your RT and should fit. (Sidewall to swingarm clearance may be a bit snug but that can be fixed with spacers, or a grinder :/

Thanks to everyone for input. Reason; Pirelli Diablo also only comes in that size and found a local dealer with a really great sale ($175 for the set - mounted).

I'll stay with what I have and not mess with the unknown.

I was curious about the 180/55 as well. The Bridvestone BT-023 GT is only availble in that size. I love the 023GT on the front. Had the 023 non-GT on he rear. Loved it but wore it out much sooner than the front.

But rear tyres DO tend to wear out much quicker than the front.

They are doing A LOT more work.

Andy

Archived