IGNORED

Sapphire NC

johnnash

This place is near Franklin.I have a timeshare there for a week 22nd April.Any suggestions on which roads to check out,this would be much appriecated information.I explored a little there last April until my slave cyclinder went out on my 1150GS.

roadscholar

You're kidding, right? At US64 turn left or right, then go to any numbered road and turn left or right. :grin:

OK seriously, assuming you want to stay on pavement here are a few loops.

Go to Cashiers, turn left on 107. Just into S.C. turn left (Oscar Wiginton Mem. Hwy.), then left on 130/281. Right on 64. Left on 215 then up to and onto Parkway. Either way on BRP, exit at first opportunity and loop back to Sapphire thru Sylva or Brevard.

Same as above but stay on 107 until it ends at 28. Turn right and head up into Highlands, then 64 back to Cashiers.

This time go thru Cashiers on 64, turn right on Norton Rd., left on Yellow Mtn. Rd., then left at stop. At bottom of hill (you'll know it) left on Walnut Creek Rd. (toward Franklin). Left on 28, then left on Buck Creek Rd. back up to 64, then left.

One more. Again to Cashiers, right on 107 then down into the flat, right on 281, left on Charley's Creek Rd. to stop. Right on 215 to Balsam Grove. Right on Macedonia Ch. Rd. then left on Silversteen Rd. (I've told myself I'd never divulge this road over the internet :)) then right on 64. Hope this helps some.

You're kidding, right? At US64 turn left or right, then go to any numbered road and turn left or right. :grin:

Go to Cashiers, turn left on 107. Just into S.C. turn left (Oscar Wiginton Mem. Hwy.), then left on 130/281. Right on 64. Left on 215 then up to and onto Parkway. Either way on BRP, exit at first opportunity and loop back to Sapphire thru Sylva or Brevard.

Same as above but stay on 107 until it ends at 28. Turn right and head up into Highlands, then 64 back to Cashiers.

This time go thru Cashiers on 64, turn right on Norton Rd., left on Yellow Mtn. Rd., then left at stop. At bottom of hill (you'll know it) left on Walnut Creek Rd. (toward Franklin). Left on 28, then left on Buck Creek Rd. back up to 64, then left.

One more. Again to Cashiers, right on 107 then down into the flat, right on 281, left on Charley's Creek Rd. to stop. Right on 215 to Balsam Grove. Right on Macedonia Ch. Rd. then left on Silversteen Rd. (I've told myself I'd never divulge this road over the internet :)) then right on 64. Hope this helps some.

Pay no attention to the man behind the GS. :/

Bill, have you been drinkin'?

Silversteen was our little secret....I thought you had gone far enough with Norton and Yellow Mountain, but now you've stepped over the line :/

Since you're on a GS, ask for directions to the Old Iron Bridge.

It is on a backroad between 107 and Highlands.

Most of it is paved.

Some locals use it to avoid US 64.

Stop at the bridge and take a break.

Bill gave you some nearby roads, there are one or two others if you venture towards other locales.

roadscholar
Since you're on a GS, ask for directions to the Old Iron Bridge.

It is on a backroad between 107 and Highlands.

Most of it is paved.

Some locals use it to avoid US 64.

Stop at the bridge and take a break.

Or take lunch along and have a picnic out on the rocks, a spot recommended by BMWST'ers from far and wide. :) Just don't stray much off the main road, there could be banjo music. :grin:

To get there turn right on Whiteside Cove Rd. off 107 just south of Cashiers (at the golf course) then left on Bull Pen Rd. Or from Highlands left at the main TL and follow Horse Cove Rd., then right on Bull Pen.

Thanks for all the road info guys.I really liked it there last year,thats why I am going back.Paul,I am taking the GS & might take you up on the BRR as I check out the morning of the 29th.

Or take lunch along and have a picnic out on the rocks, a spot recommended by BMWST'ers from far and wide. :) Just don't stray much off the main road, there could be banjo music. :grin:

I hear that place makes a quiche only a GS rider would love! :thumbsup:

Me, I was eating a croissant.... :rofl:

roadscholar

A spinach one at that...one may remember it was slim pickins.

Well, they went out of business so they weren't doing something right, lol.

Besides, Kinsley told me about the place, I think he kinda liked it. :grin:

A spinach one at that...one may remember it was slim pickins.

Well, they went out of business so they weren't doing something right. :grin:

Yeah, but the other place there you told me about, they make some excellent jams and preserves! When we going back?

Funny, I lived in highlands for 10 years and sat on those rocks many times drinking wine and enjoying life. Never crossed the bridge and didn't know where the road went until this thread.

Funny, I lived in highlands for 10 years and sat on those rocks many times drinking wine and enjoying life. Never crossed the bridge and didn't know where the road went until this thread.

With a nice view, great company and a bottle of wine to match, why would you? Maybe I can convince Ken to show me that 'secret' road today!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery. Today is a gift, which is why we call it “the present”. (Cheesy quote of the day)

Archived