IGNORED

Strange "to me" Speedo failure

bmweerman

Was coming out of the last curve of a great run yesterday when I noticed the Speedo start to fluctuate wildly. Thought the cable was coming loose, (again), but that was not the case. Cable seems fine and ododmeter continues to work but speedo needle just rattles at about 10 MPH no matter how fast I go?

Any help? grin.gif

TIA

Cameron

Joe Frickin' Friday

Cable is broken, and the broken ends are just barely clicking past each other enough to tickle the speedo (more likely).

The drive unit at the hub is similarly broken (less likely).

Had this exact issue some months ago.. much grief later, i was all prepared to order a speedo cable..

turns out (on my 1100rt) the retainer ring at the back of the cluster had just worked its way loose, and the cable wasn't tight in there...

5 min's of fiddling with it and I was good to go.... thumbsup.gif

I had a similar problem present itself this past weekend while blasting through WV: after a vigorous uphill pass, the speedo started bouncing around wildly. Interestingly, it was reading HIGHER than GPS. GPS said I was going about 65, and the speedo would bounce chaotically (there was nothing sinusoidal about it) between about 80 and 110. After a while, it stopped for an hour, then restarted, etc etc.

If it was a slipping cable, I can see it reading lower, but HIGHER? eek.gif

russell_bynum

If it was a slipping cable, I can see it reading lower, but HIGHER?

Just thinking out loud...what if the cable isn't completely broken? Say it's got a few strands still hanging on but now the weakened section is less resistant to twist. So...it is continually winding up (slower speedo reading) and springing lose (higher speedo reading).

Or maybe there's a bit of frayed cable sticking out grabbing a spot on the inside of the cable sheath. It grabs, speedo takes a dive, cable winds up. The extra tension breaks the frayed cable free and the wound-up tension is released (speedo reads high).

Archived