IGNORED

Rode an F800R today

Matts_12GS

Went down to Dogtona for trailer week and got a chance to ride a bright yellow 800R.

I got slotted right behind the 4 guys on S1000RRs and the leader on a K1300S. We got a chance to wind the bikes up a little bit and I was pretty impressed! The bike is light and responsive, feels pretty nimble and like it'd be a whole bunch of fun up in the mountains or on a nice tight race track. The ergos were great save for this demo unit having a low seat for my 34" inseam. I would want a little more screen for the instrument cover but could probably do a 450-500 mile day on the bike.

Fuel economy is said to be high 40s to mid 50s.

I hope this bike takes off for BMW, it's a wonderful little bike, a great commuter and lightweight traveling bike, I was a little put off by the $13K price tag all blinged up, but damn it was a fun ride!

CoarsegoldKid

I got my weekends mixed up, thought the demos were yesterday. Wrong. Anyway I looked at that 800R. 13K is a might high and won't bring in the 600 class riders. I have no doubt about it's handling, and light weight. I believe they should have taken the S1000RR motor design and shave it to 600cc.

I got my weekends mixed up, thought the demos were yesterday. Wrong. Anyway I looked at that 800R. 13K is a might high and won't bring in the 600 class riders. I have no doubt about it's handling, and light weight. I believe they should have taken the S1000RR motor design and shave it to 600cc.

Yup,racing yesterday.

Demo rides/open house next Sat.at BMW Fresno.

JR356

Lone_RT_rider
I believe they should have taken the S1000RR motor design and shave it to 600cc.

Their giving away thousands of dollars per bike on the 1000 to be able to keep up with the Japanese in the American market. Suggesting to do that on a second 600 cc bike would probably not go over well in a model approval meeting. :grin::dopeslap:

I tend to think that the 800R is perhaps BMW's best kept secret for whatever unknown reason.

The F in that one decidedly stands for Fun.

I have an F800ST since October 2010, after many years of riding an oilhead.

I consider the F800ST - same engine as the F800R - a brilliantly designed bike concerning fun, speed, bottom power, weight, maintenance (less!) and ergos.

In some way or another it reminds me more of my trusty airhead boxer than boxers since 1993.

And that feels well. To be honest, it took mental time to leave the modern boxer family.

I only miss the telelever.

Matt, how was the rider position? Would you say sportier or more upright?

I'm always looking for Brynda's next bike (and 2nd option for me).

Ken,

I liked the riding position, akin to the GS, very UJM feeling. Upright but certainly capable of a spirited ride.

The one I rode had a low seat so it was a little cramped in the legs, but otherwise it was very comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple hundred miles on the F800R. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam. For me the riding position is a very moderate lean forward (quite comfortable), and the leg bend is higher and back relative to an 800GS -- about the same as an 800ST. The peg position is relatively comfortable for me even coming off an RT (but YMMV). I think some people with similar inseam length would be a little cramped on the 800R especially for longer trips, but with the smallish tank, you will be stopping for a mandatory gas refill every 2 hours.

I took the 800R on our Total Control range this weekend. It is very much at home on the tight turns used in Total Control. It came with the new Metzler M5 Interact tires. I can't wait to get the engine broken-in and for roads to warm up a little more to take it into the Blue Ridge mountains near here.

You should be the saint of a person that we know you are and bring it to the BRR in KY so that we can share your burden of "breaking it in" around the hills of KY.

I'm just saying! :rofl:

I thought it had over 4 usable gallons of gas?

That would be over 200 miles.

If that's every 2 hours...

:P

I thought it had over 4 usable gallons of gas?

That would be over 200 miles.

If that's every 2 hours...

:P

"Closed course, professional rider, don't try this at home, blah blah blah"

Owners manual states 3.6 gallons of which 2.1 qt is reserve. Whereas the MCN article states 4.2 gallons tank capacity, which is what is posted on the technical data sheet on the BMW Motorad website. So I did what any self-respecting beta tester would do -- ran it on the road until tank emptied, put in a half gallon I was carrying in a supply tank then proceeded 5 miles to the closest filling station where I filled the tank to the top of the neck. It took 3.05 gallons to fill. So the OM appears to be on the mark. Also, unlike most recent beemers I've ridden, when the low fuel light illuminates, it appears to accurately reflect a half-gallon of reserve. OKay...so smallish tank size is my only beef with the bike so far. Came as a big surprise as I believed the MCN review re. tank capacity; it seemed to make sense as I thought since the F bikes appear to have very similar under-seat tanks, the capacities would be similar. Not so; maybe tank capacity is influenced by the aluminum cast frame of the R vrs the tubular frame design of the GS??? Have any other early adapters measured their tank capacities? Sometimes, you don't know which info to believe.

In any event even during break-in the bike is a blast to ride.

Demo rides/open house next Sat.at BMW Fresno.

I've demoed bikes at BMW Fresno and Santa Cruz. I've never needed a SPECIAL day in the past.

Have they changed their test ride policy?

Johnny J

Archived