IGNORED

Your Favorite Sayings...

Kathy R

Old standby:

It's not a problem. It's an unsolved opportunity.

Newly found:

Time is free, but it is priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you have lost it you can never get it back. (Harvey MacKay)

Not necessarily my favorites....

It's not how bad you "F" it up, it's how well you fix it.

Or in another version, it's how well you hide it :eek:

Cut it twice & it's still too short :P

Not necessarily my favorites....

It's not how bad you "F" it up, it's how well you fix it.

Or in another version, it's how well you hide it :eek:

Reminds me of another favorite:

75% of fixing a problem is understanding you have one

Lineareagle

While working as a young man with a carpenter he gave some sage observations on carpentry and life in general.

"Anyone can do 95% of a job, you are only special if you can complete the other 5%."

Boy is that ever true!

While working as a young man with a carpenter he gave some sage observations on carpentry and life in general.

"Anyone can do 95% of a job, you are only special if you can complete the other 5%."

Boy is that ever true!

on that note, another oft reported statistic (although I think it's really a saying):

10% of all salespeople are responsible for 90% of all sales

75% of fixing a problem is understanding you have one

Problems?

Don't tell me your problems.....

Tell me your solutions.

A favorite from a past employer :P

Paul Mihalka

One of my often used sayings at my work (I'm the author :) ): There are no loud motorcycles - only loud riders.

NOt mine; I think I first saw it on this site a few years ago.

When asked "aren't you hot in all that gear?"

"yep, but I'd rather sweat than bleed." :eek:

some get it -- some don't

markgoodrich

Well, I dunno if I'd call it a FAVORITE saying, but around here, whoever gets to the paper first these days and reads what the Governor and the Legislature did or said the day before quotes the great Dennis Hopper in the even greater 1986 film, "Blue Velvet." I cannot say more, or I would be banned from this site. But hey, you asked....

We must be the change we wish to see in the world. (Gandhi)

The sooner you realize you're just polishing a turd, the better. (Unknown)

Joe Frickin' Friday
10% of all salespeople are responsible for 90% of all sales

Good one. This observation (with slightly different percentages) is more broadly expressed as the Pareto principle (A.K.A. "the 80-20 rule") and also finds application in many fields other than sales.

Paul Mihalka

My dad, giving us kids a business lesson: You can sell shite wrapped in gold, but you can't sell gold wrapped in shite.

Well, I dunno if I'd call it a FAVORITE saying, but around here, whoever gets to the paper first these days and reads what the Governor and the Legislature did or said the day before quotes the great Dennis Hopper in the even greater 1986 film, "Blue Velvet." I cannot say more, or I would be banned from this site. But hey, you asked....

I actually saw that movie when it came out. I realized then that it was a great movie, but that I'd likely never see it again. And I have a memory like a sieve, so I don't remember what spooky ol'Hopper said. Somehow, I don't think I want to know.

You can wish in one hand, and $hit in the other, and see which one fills up first.

There is a Turkish saying along this line. "Working at this place is like riding a donkey with saddle bags. One bag is being filled with gold; the other with manure. When the donkey tips over to one side or the other, or just collapses, it's time to quit."

The gold saddlebag allowed me to leave Saudi Arabia in 1983; the manure saddlebag was a factor in deciding to retire early from my position at Emory University. I have no regrets about either decision.

For my (current) favorite pithy saying, see my sig. (I should probably add that I'm currently in week 4 of a deck rebuilding project, and there have been times when I questioned my sanity.I've lost 7 pounds, thanks to the exercise. Thursday included picking, then unloading 3000 pounds of lumber from Home Depot. How do I know it was 3000 pounds? The HD rental truck was rated for 3000 pounds, and the overload alarm started shrieking when I climbed into the driver's seat. I drove off anyway.

My old Kung Fu teacher used to quote:

"If you think you can, you're correct. If you think you can't, you're also correct."

and

"Experience is the hardest teacher in that she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward."

-MKL

bayoubengal

I'm not real smart, but Im not real stupid either...

Anyone who thinks they don't need a good helmet is probably right...

If you are not 10 minutes early, you are late (it's that military officer thing)...

Never, ever, trust anybody who says "trust me".

Andy

"Trust me" translates to eff you in Hebrew... -Gila Gerzon

Groucho Marx - I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. Winston Churchill

RichEdwards

I told my students what Mark Twain said about reluctant readers:

A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill, undated.

CoarsegoldKid

Back in the old days I often said "Ten dollar head, ten dollar helmet." The price of the helmet is higher these days. Heads, still the same.

Wife would ask where are you going? What did you do? "Look at stuff and talk to guys"

One you have heard before as my Mom used to say "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

Paul Mihalka

Real story. My uncle married late, at age 40 he was the head of the family business but still lived in the big house with his parents. One night he comes home around midnight. His mom (my grandmother) is waiting for him and asks: Son, where have you been this late? He: Mom, if you ask again I'll tell you!

I have only one saying up in my office.

"What am I doing Right?"

"What am I doing Wrong?"

"And how am I making up the difference"

Lone_RT_rider

I have a couple of favorites.

From my new quality job: "Just when you think something is idiot proof, they build a bigger idiot"

From my old Judo instructor in college: "Minimum input, maximum efficiency"

Shawn

"Dance like no one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt,sing like no one is listening,and live like it's heaven on earth."

You can't make time, find time, or save time.

But there is always enough time to do what is right.

Every day that I've dropped my daughter off at school since 1st grade I've said "grow your brain". Her responses have gone from "okay daddy" to "daaad?".

Archived