IGNORED

96' RT down roadside

Treetopflyer

Treetopflyer

Have friends on the way with truck and ramps. Seems fuel related maybe? New acquired bike, only put 124 miles on the clock myself, she has 25k. Began to stumble around 4k rpm in several gears, then got out right sluggish. I believe I heard a bit more whining from the fuel pump during startup and then intermittently at idle when stopped which I had not heard previously heard on this bike. Not yet familiar with Motronic system, me thinks fuel pump or horribly stale fuel from PO. What say you?

Thanks!

What say you?

Thanks!

Afternioon Treetopflyer

With the info furnished, I say it could be fuel, could be fuel pump, could be fuel filter, could be spark, could be HES, could be broken wire, could be side stand switch, could be about anything.

Let us know if you have spark while cranking?

If you have fuel under pressure TO the injectors?

If your dash RID is operating?

One more thing-- IF you have a Techlusion type fuel controller on that bike try completely disconnecting that as the early ones can have an internal moisture issue causing what you are seeing.

What is the tacho doing?

May be water in the fuel, may be separated ethanol fuel, may be Hall Effect Sensor (HES)

Andy

How long since you last put fuel in the bike?

How low were you running?

No chance you have put the wrong fuel in? (In the UK people have been known to accidently drop diesel in the tank).

Was the RID behaving normally?

Have you done ANY work on the bike recently?

Andy

Treetopflyer

Let us know if you have spark while cranking?

If you have fuel under pressure TO the injectors?

If your dash RID is operating?

Looked to have a decent spark, appeared to jump a good 1/2" but I was in nearly direct sunlight, will double check again in low light.

Have not checked into fuel pressure yet

RID temp and gear indication are fine, fuel strip/display not funcional for some time now.

What is the tacho doing?

Andy

Tach is operating normal. The initial boggging began happening at highway speed, tach responded exactly as I would expect, the stumbling and bogging that I felt matched tach behavior.

How long since you last put fuel in the bike?

How low were you running?

No chance you have put the wrong fuel in? (In the UK people have been known to accidently drop diesel in the tank).

Was the RID behaving normally?

Have you done ANY work on the bike recently?

Andy

Aquired bike last week, tank was topped by PO, still on same tank, 124miles into it. I will drain tank and replace with fresh non-ethanol 89 octane before moving forward.

I had been running for about 10-15 minutes when I first noticed the stumbling/bogging.

No chance of diesel. By the way, I've always been jealous of the selection of diesel passenger cars in EU. I drive a VW TDI turbocharged intercooled diesel sedan.

RID works except fuel indication/strip

I have not worked on this bike yet, but here we go!

If the fuel pump is whining, it's still working. I'm thinking fuel filter.

Jim, the fuel pump behavior while at idle (stop light) seem very odd, but I am still very new to this bike. I know it pressures up on start up, but how does it typically behave at idle? At the last stop light before the breakdown, it was cycling on and off, inconsistent on and off durations, almost sounded like a failing DC motor.

possible tank venting problem? have you opened the gas cap ?

Yup, one of the first things I tried.

To all, let me says this ahead of time, thanks for posting. Your time and valuable experience and knowledge is well appreciated. Internet forums have enabled unbelievable engagement in my interest and hobbies.

I bought this bike only a few days ago. I work in New Orleans and commute 120mile round trip daily. I bought the bike in NO, and still have it stored in a buddy's garage near the office. It'll be a few days before I can continue to troubleshoot. I chose to keep it near the office for the time being, I had been running a 20 mile loop twice daily before and after work in order to familiarize and adjust a new bike and sort out any issues, like this one. I really got an amazing deal on this RT and I fully expected to deal with moderate issues for the price.

Thanks again folks, to be continued....

Morning Treetopflyer

Well if you have spark next move is to pull a fuel line off an injector and place in (or at) a container, then turn the key on. You need to see about a pencil sized stream of fuel for bout 2-3 seconds. If not then suspect a plugged filter or other reason no fuel delivery.

If you have both spark and fuel delivery put the fuel line back on then remove the injector (leave wires and line hooked up). Then point the injector into a container and crank engine (you need to see a nice strong fuel spray pattern coming from the injector)

If you have both fuel and spark look into contaminated fuel or maybe a mouse nest in the air box or something similar.

Treetopflyer
Well if you have spark next move is...

Thanks for the method summary, will possibly continue this evening depending on work hours. Do you hear your fuel pump whining intermittently while at idle? I had not heard it except at startup prior to this incident.

One more thing-- IF you have a Techlusion type fuel controller on that bike try completely disconnecting that as the early ones can have an internal moisture issue causing what you are seeing.

Forgive the ignorance, is the Techlusion controller a mod or OEM controller? Will I be able to easily identify whether or not I have the Techlusion or other type controller? I think I may go there first if it is a known problem similar to mine. Thanks again DR.

Do you know this isn't a flood bike?

Just asking because ...

good luck, hope it is just fuel issue.

Forgive the ignorance, is the Techlusion controller a mod or OEM controller? Will I be able to easily identify whether or not I have the Techlusion or other type controller? I think I may go there first if it is a known problem similar to mine. Thanks again DR.

Yes it is an aftermarket thing.

The check on the injector squirt is what I wait for. I wonder if you have had a similar problem to athe bike I just worked on. This had one of the pipes come off inside the fuel tank.

Treetopflyer
Do you know this isn't a flood bike?

Just asking because ...

good luck, hope it is just fuel issue.

If so, PO and local dealer have outight lied to my face (hey, it may have easily happened), but I seriously doubt it. Guys went to forensic levels on the cleanup if that is the case. I've rebuilt several Katrina small engines, its a hobby that funds other interest. Thanks throwing it in the hat though. I know a few helpless victims of fraudulent flooded auto sales....

Treetopflyer

Solved, bad fuel. Thanks for the information guys.

Had spark, pulled fuel line and aimed into jar. After collecting a nice size sample, water was evident. Gonna change the filter immediately. Whew! Glad it was that simple.

Solved, bad fuel..........Gonna change the filter immediately.........Glad it was that simple.

I've replaced my filter once and should probably do it again this Spring. I would not categorize a fuel filter swap as simple. ;)

Hi Mark, do you guys as a matter of course have dirty fuel in your area?

If not, why change the filter.

If treetopflyer had water in his fuel, it probably wasn't accumalated over time, it was likely a single contamination problem. So, even if he had changed the filter the day before, that wouldn't have helped.

Andy

Valid points, Andy. No -- I've never had bad fuel nor has anyone I know/travel with.

Thing is, well over half the miles I add each year are spent travelling some pretty out-of-the way places and I've had to gas up at some pretty iffy looking stations. I realize that water will kill a filter in no time, but I'm primarily worried about sediment in some of these underground tanks.

I probably shouldn't worry -- I almost never change filters in our cars.

From a risk/reward standpoint, I'm sure you're right. You might just talk me out of it! :thumbsup:

Treetopflyer
I've replaced my filter once and should probably do it again this Spring. I would not categorize a fuel filter swap as simple. ;)

Let me clarify my earlier statement of relief: I meant, whew that was a quick and relatively painless troubleshooting process. The mechanical solution may not be simple and quick, but it will get done. Troubleshooting was easy thanks to you all.

Archived