IGNORED

Oh @#$%%^

randys

Saturday I did a valve adjust on the 1200GS, hadnt even looked at them since before going to alaska, 16K miles ago. Bike was running great! no ticking from the valves, smooth acceleration, good MPG. The valves checked out pretty good, on both cylinders the bottom exhaust valve was a bit tight, the top was fine, the intake on both sides needed to be tightened up a wee bit. I could feel drag on the feeler gage, but just not as tight as when I did them at 7K.

Today, taking the bike out for the first time since the work, the bike ran great, UNTIL it warmed up completely, 8-10 miles. once its warm, around 4k rpm it seems like it is surging, or skipping. The valves sound great still. I did put new spark plugs in, gapped to .35. I did not touch the throttle cables at all.

Any thoughts?

tickle_my_tummy

A long shot ....I'm not sure if the fault is the same, but on two of my 1150's there was a fault with the potentiometer. I'm not sure what it does (experts please fill in), but on both bikes it caused the bike to 'splutter', in my case at 7k revs grin.gif. Once replaced the bikes were back to normal with no spluttering or intermittent firing. (It's the black thing on the left hand side near the throttle housings that looks stuck on)

Hey Randy,

Try disconnecting your battery, then reconnect it. Turn on the key, let it go through the self test, then turn the throttle all the way twice, then start it.

Sometimes the computer gets confused when things change. This will reset it.

Otherwise, check your plug wires, and your battery connections. Lose wires and battery cables cause interesting results on the canbus system.

Jim cool.gif

Thanks. Sparkplugs first when I get to it in the morning. I will try the battery after that. Last thing I want to do is take the valve covers off again, and I find it hard to believe there is a valve problem, as well as the bike runs (6K shifts and 5K steady speed) while it is cold.

Would a TBS problem wait to show up till the engine is warm?

Calvin  (no socks)

Randy....ya haven't been pulling on those wires too hard have ya? That could do it.. or a loose wire, or carbon on the plug.. or a decreased gap from dropping one?....Start with the things that you touched.... Then we can get serious about other things...Calvin thumbsup.gif

Well, I think I found the problem. At least the problems gone away, lol. One spark plug was finger tight. I pulled and reinstalled all four plugs, reinstalled the wires, and went for a ride. Smooth acceleration all the way to the rev limiter , 90 in 6th.

I may recheck the valves again this weekend, and do the TBS as soon as I get my 2$ vacuum gage fixed up .

Well, I think I found the problem. At least the problems gone away, lol. One spark plug was finger tight. I pulled and reinstalled all four plugs, reinstalled the wires, and went for a ride. Smooth acceleration all the way to the rev limiter , 90 in 6th.

You can't go any faster than 90mph in 6th gear? eek.gif

Something isn't right.

Jim cool.gif

Glad to hear it! thumbsup.gif

Sounds like you need to have a little talk with that guy who did the work. dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

On a serious note, so often it turns out that problems can be sorted out by checking the basics. All of the really good mechanics check the basics before considering anything exotic.

You can't go any faster than 90mph in 6th gear? eek.gif

Something isn't right.

Jim cool.gif

What Jim said. confused.gifconfused.gif

90 sounds more like rev limiter for 3rd gear.

I've hit it in 5th and that was waaaaayy past 90. eek.gif

Sorry, I see how confusing that looks the way I wrote it. I can go much faster than 90 in 6th, 5th and 4th, lol, I just ran out of road on the route I was using .

I should have said, smooth acceleration to the rev limiter in all gears, and SMOOTH cruising at 90 in 6th.

Archived