IGNORED

Listen to the sound of that K1600

RT66Rider

Dave_zoom_zoom
Eh

Sounds too much like a Rice Burner crotch rocket. (IMHO)

I MUCH prefer the more muted rumble of my RT.

I'll second that emotion!!! :)

Joe Frickin' Friday
Eh

Really? I didn't think it sounded anything like the typical

definitely sounded more like an exotic sportscar.
Dave_zoom_zoom
Eh

Really? I didn't think it sounded anything like the typical

definitely sounded more like an exotic sportscar.

I agree that it is not the sound of a high rev. 4. I realize a desirable sound is very much in the eye of the beholder. (or ear of the beholder)

I loved the road! It was interesting to see that due to the downhill nature of the road and the high low RPM torque of the 1600 there was not a great demand for an excessive amount of downshifting.

For my ear the sound was a bit too tinny. I prefer the sound of my R1200RT. But then, I also like the sounds of a mellow sounding Harley, a big V-8 with glass-paks, etc. So what do I know?

Dave

Not sure if this is the GT or the GTL, or if it makes any difference,

but something that is absent in the audio track is any signs of dragging hardware,

that I thought I had heard in other clips.

Or did I miss it in this one ?

It looks like the rider is leaning it over quite a bit in some of those corners too.

Eh

me too. but not surprising.

One other thought comes to mind. (can't believe I never pondered this before) How do our friends in England and Australia wave to other riders? Doesn't seem plausible to take one's hand off the throttle.....

RPG

RPG

I was listening for the sound of dragging hardware also. I liked the sound but, hard to tell absolutely from the video. I think it was going slower than I'm used to in the tighter corners on my BMW twin. Could be extra caution with a pricey bike. As much as I like the 6's sound, I have no affinity towards heavy bikes. Doesn't look like my fantasy sporting weight six will ever be produced. :cry:

Sounds pretty good to my ears. Although I own an R12RT, I'm not a big fan of how it sounds, frankly.

What it sounds like is a BMW straight six. A littl mini version of all the glorious inline six BMW automobiles I have owned and driven (from 2.5-3.0L in my case). The BMW straight six is one of the greatest engines ever in automotive history, in my opinion, and deserves respect unto its own.

-MKL

Dennis Andress
What it sounds like is a BMW straight six. A littl mini version of all the glorious inline six BMW automobiles I have owned and driven (from 2.5-3.0L in my case). The BMW straight six is one of the greatest engines ever in automotive history, in my opinion, and deserves respect unto its own.

-MKL

Yeah, like the one I had in Frankfurt, that overheated and warped its head....

Yeah, like the one I had in Frankfurt, that overheated and warped its head....

This huge sample is obviously a positive indicator of the whole fleet. :)

One other thought comes to mind. (can't believe I never pondered this before) How do our friends in England and Australia wave to other riders? Doesn't seem plausible to take one's hand off the throttle.....

We use the left hand, the extra 800mm distance does not appear to impact visibility of said wave, though to be honest, we more often nod than wave.

roadscholar
I think it has a bit of
to it.

Watkins Glen, nice.

Yes, the induction noise (and that's what you're hearing) sounds very much like a water-cooled 911 Carrera, with the top down.

The bike is a little higher pitched because of smaller displacement and higher rpms.

Sounds pretty good to my ears. Although I own an R12RT, I'm not a big fan of how it sounds, frankly.

The new RT's make a sound?? That solves it then. I always thought someone was vacuuming out their car wherever I went. :)

Archived