IGNORED

Stoopid Question

OlGeezer

That little hole on the right side of the body panel right at the idle adjustment screw. What good is that? If you use it to adjust your idle, you won't be synchronized.

????

The idea is that you sync off the left throttle body to match the right. That said I also think it is a silly idea as a proper sync involves both sides in order to get everything perfect.

I might drill a hole in my right side so i can syn it without having to remove six hours of plastic first. LOL:

Marc

Hi Ol'Geezer, I beleive that design feature is a left in place relic of earlier design ideas when you could set the throttle cable from the lefthand side of the bike (via a cross over cable)and you only needed access to the RHS for BBS tweaking. Therefore (in theory), saving time (and service costs).

Andy

Andy has it. The first iteration of R1100RT had a single throttle cable that looped over the RH throttle then went to the LH side. The RH side fairing also has a removeable insert, so the throttles could be synched by removing the footplate insert and adjusting the RH side only.

That throttle arrangement however, was prone to issues, so BMW changed to the later bowden box. They did not however, see the need to spend money updating the fairing molds - not even when they introduced the 1150 - the fairing side panels are the same on both 1100 and 1150 RTs.

Andy

Andy has it. The first iteration of R1100RT had a single throttle cable that looped over the RH throttle then went to the LH side. The RH side fairing also has a removeable insert, so the throttles could be synched by removing the footplate insert and adjusting the RH side only.

That throttle arrangement however, was prone to issues, so BMW changed to the later bowden box. They did not however, see the need to spend money updating the fairing molds - not even when they introduced the 1150 - the fairing side panels are the same on both 1100 and 1150 RTs.

Andy

Morning Andy

Right idea wrong side— On the original (early 1100) the throttle cable fist ran to the (Left) side TB where it looped around the (Left) TB pulley then the single cable continued on over to the (Right) side TB.

Morning Dan

OR, on USA bikes use the existing vacuum hose that runs between the 2 TB units. Just plug or clamp the little hose pigtail going to the purge solenoid then simply pull the purge hose off the bottom of the L/H TB nipple. The open hose is R/H TB vacuum and the TB nipple is L/H TB vacuum.

Archived