IGNORED

non-servo ABS circuit bleed?

sgendler

Anyone got a link to brake bleeding methodology for pre-servo pre-linked brakes? I know how to do the wheel circuits, but I assume there is an ABS circuit that needs bleeding, too?

--sam

The ABS unit has it's own bleed valves. One for each circuit if I recall correctly.

Unless you get air in the lines there is no requirement to bleed at the ABS unit. As long as the brakes feel solid I would simple ignore the ABS unit and just bleed at the wheels. Indeed, I have been ignoring my '96 RT's ABS bleed valves for almost 9 years (8 annual blake flushes).

However, next year may be different. I will probably replace the brake lines, after 10 years of service I feel that they a likely candidate for failure. When I do, I'll bleed the whole system just to be safe.

Stan

russell_bynum

What Stan said.

The ABS unit is under the tank, and there's two bleed nipples on top. I wouldn't bother with it. Just flush the system at the calipers and call it a day.

Speed Bleeders make life really easy.

Sam, with all due respect to Stan and Russell's opinions, I disagree. The ABS unit bleeders are the high point in the rear brake hydraulic circuit and a relative high point in front circuit. Since they point upwards, not only are they high, but they create dead legs (no flow through the "dead leg").

As such, they will collect air.

To flush/bleed them, remove your tank, and then treat them just like any other bleeder.

I bleed them every year, but I tend to overdo my maintenance.

Archived