IGNORED

Interesting Graph on Impact of Distractions on Driving/Riding

David

Peter Parts

Yes interesting and a cause for all bikers to worry. I often comment to my wife, "A driver on a cellphone is a driver who is willing to kill a biker." Leads me to be rude when I see morons on their cellphones.

Without wanting to sound like a person from a past century, sad that nearly everybody knows it is wrong to be distracted yet so many people lack the moxie* to "keep it in their pants" (referring to cellphones here).

Are New Englanders better at that than folks in southern California, as the map suggests?

Ben

*Either the moral fiber or the ability to figure out how not to have to use their phone at that moment.

Are New Englanders better at that than folks in southern California, as the map suggests?

*Either the moral fiber or the ability to figure out how not to have to use their phone at that moment.

I am totally against the things while driving, but even I will use them on rural highways in the west (if there is a signal). We are talking long wide open lonely spaces vs. the 2 hours it took us to get 30 miles on rural roads from the Lancaster NH Unrally to the Interstate.

Completely different conditions and risks.

I don't use my phone when I'm driving at all, but I hate that every iteration of the ipod has been progressively less tactile and possible to use without taking your eyes off the road for extended periods. Music has long been a part of driving and I'd like to be able to navigate the ipod interface without having to read tiny fonts and look at touchscreen buttons in order to find them. The touchscreen ipods need a gesture-driven interface for use while driving, so that I don't have to visually find actual buttons on-screen. Make the correct gesture anywhere on the screen and it should just work. That'd work for play, pause, next and prev, but it'd also be nice to have large-font version of the list views which would be easier to read at a quick glance when scrolling. Those changes would make a big impact in the usability of the music player features behind the wheel - features that we all know people are using and will continue to use no matter what laws get passed.

Archived