IGNORED

Tires

MT Wallet

I hope I'm in the right forum for this subject. I'm used to having road tires on my bikes, mostly Dunlops. Now that I have a BMW it is equipted with Metzlers. The tread pattern is very different. I had read is some forum that these tires are superior in gripping the road. The tire reminds me of racing slicks with a lot of smooth rubber. Until last night I felt relatively confident about the tire's grip. Then I saw a Utube video posted by "Upflying" in the "ride well" forum. Here's the link www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4.html So heres my question: Should I be worried about the road gripping quality and the road handling characteristics? School me a little on tires.

Richard,

I had the same fear on my road bike when

I got it. Most of the tires out today will out

ride your skill unless you’re a professional

rider. The only thing that will give you a

problem is road contamination ie oil, gravel,

coolant ect. IMO all the tires are good some

just last longer than other.

I will never forget the first time I went around a

corner to hot and scraped the peg. Needless to say I

needed a diaper change after that:eek:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I wouldn't worry much about that video with one exception:

Brand new tires, parking lot and, or, high HP to weight ratio.

Where in ND? Going to visit relatives in Bismarck tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate the reassurance. The cold may be an issue. With a little luck that will change soon. Peter I live in Devils Lake. Enjoy our cold and snow. Feel free to take as much as you want back with you :)

• 2 weeks later...

You were all right!! I got the itch to ride today and the tires were a non-issue. 36 deg. bright sun and I got in about 4 miles.Love the tires and the bike.

2002 RT uses 170/60-17 on REAR and was recently told (of course it was a salesman) that I could run 180/55-17 without any real notice in performance, fit or wear.

Any experts out there with REAL experience on this?

This might work with a lot of hassle deflating the tire, squeezing the tire and wheel through the tight spot in the rear, etc. Personally the 170 is a little too big IMO and a 180 would be rediculous. As far as performance, it should decrease your quarter mile times and MPG.

ShovelStrokeEd
This might work with a lot of hassle deflating the tire, squeezing the tire and wheel through the tight spot in the rear, etc. Personally the 170 is a little too big IMO and a 180 would be rediculous. As far as performance, it should decrease your quarter mile times and MPG.

No it won't. The rounder profile of the tire on the too narrow rim of the RT will actually reduce the contact patch. In terms of MPG, there isn't enough difference in the relative tire diameters to matter.

Archived