IGNORED

Time for the 6000 miler

jackflash

Hope to take the R1200RT in next weekend for the 6000 miler. Learned a lot in 6000 miles.

The Bridgestone Battlax tires are going in the trash. Besides being very worn out, they have too strange of a wear pattern on both the front and rear. My dealer told me to expect this when the bike was new. He was right. Going with Z6's.

Also learned the engine seems to be bullet proof. After 600 miles, it was shown no mercy. Not to say it did 130mph all the time but it has seen that more than once...with power left to go, seen redline a LOT of times and eats twisties like breakfast cereal. The bike will do it and I even got better at helping it do the twisties, LOL!

Since 550 miles, the bike has used exactly a quart of BMW dino oil. The last 600 miles have been as hard as I will ever run it and it used exactly no oil.

We always read about the oil buring threads here but I never see them where a new bike uses only a quart in 5550 miles. It seems like it's stopped usage. I feel fortunate. We'll see.

Anyone else experience this little usage in the first 6000?

I have not owned an RT until I bought mine in July. After the first month with the bike, I thought my R1200RT was using an unusual amount of oil, but I attributed that to the break in period. While putting oil into the bike, I discovered an oil slick on the side of the hexhead where the oil filler cap is located. I visited the dealership with a friend of mine and was looking over an RT on display. It was then that I discovered the plastic oil filler cap has an o-ring. Mine had been missing apparently from the time I took the bike in for the 600 mile service. I fitted an o-ring to the oil filler cap and now my bike does not use any oil. I have 3,500 miles on it. I suggest that all RT owners examine their bikes to check that your oil filler cap o-ring is in place.

I am about 30 miles shy of 6000 with my RT, and can confer with all of the above. I have added a couple of tablespoons of oil since my last oil change at 3500 miles, and this was just to keep the oil warning light from coming on.

I had one strange episode of the high beam flickering on and off for a couple of dozen miles after washing it once. This has not recurred since then, and the dealer said they would replace the high beam switch if it ever happens again.

Jay

Yeah, I took my 12 gs on a 5500 mile trip to nova scotia when it showed 1k. I used about a quarter of a quart on the trip. Run them in hard/they don't use oil.

I have 4900 miles on my 05 RT and have used just a bit over a half quart of oil - most of that put in not long after the 600 mile service. Just made a 1400 mile trip and perhaps used a couple of tablespoons. Performance is flawless except for the "singing" Michelin Pilots. Why are they so loud? I keep the pressure correct. Wow. At least they do not seem to be wearing at too fast a rate and they stick to the road just fine.

At 6200 miles I have added 3 quarts of BMW oil. I donot consider this excessive during break in. The 04RT used more than this. I expect it to taper off closer to 12,000 miles. Leon

I was hoping this thread would start some GOOD stories about new BMW's. Sometimes all we hear are bad experiences of one kind or another.

Also, this forum is even more enjoyable with a glass of wine after work. Sooths the savage beast... thumbsup.gif

3300 miles in three weeks, and have added 2.5 quarts of oil so far. ooo.gif

I ride it hard, and am trying to break it in, but it sucks down the oil. Still within BMW specs, so I'll live with it.

Jim cool.gif

My 1200RT used over a quart during the first 5,000 miles but by 12,000 miles consumption seems to have dropped to near zero.

This bike came with Pilot Roads. They handled well and gave me almost 7,000 miles but I was glad to get rid of them - I never had a tire that made so much noise! I now have Z-6's with 5,000 on them and the rear is ready for replacement. I am going to try Avon Azaro's next.

HairyCannonball
My 1200RT used over a quart during the first 5,000 miles but by 12,000 miles consumption seems to have dropped to near zero.

This bike came with Pilot Roads. They handled well and gave me almost 7,000 miles but I was glad to get rid of them - I never had a tire that made so much noise! I now have Z-6's with 5,000 on them and the rear is ready for replacement. I am going to try Avon Azaro's next.

Well for what its worth I put the Azaro's on mine at 11000 miles and I love em. I have only ridden about 1000 miles since so I cant comment on how long they will last, but they handle much better than the D220's that it had before. Seems to be more stable straight line but also turns in easier. At any rate I am pleased with them so far.

Tim

Archived