IGNORED

I've committed the mortal BMW sin.

bluesguitarboy

bluesguitarboy

?action=view&current=DSC_0871.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1220.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd455%2Fbluesguitarboy%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DDSC_0871.jpg

I put a 2 Bros Exhaust on my R1150RT. The engine sounds amazing. How can they say BMW's sound like sewing machines. The stock exhaust sounds like a sewing machine. The boxer engine sounds like a monster. I know BMW's are supposed to be quiet but I don't think I can go back to stock. You must understand I was going to buy a Victory for my next bike and then a friend let me ride his BMW. I had never ridden a more comfortable better engineered bike I was sold and went out and bought and RT. The only think I hated was the sound and now I don't hate that anymore. This bike just continues to impress.

Missouri Bob

No, it's probably only a Venial Sin.

Once upon a time, I replaced my R60/6's exhaust with one made by Hooker Headers. Remember those? I spent the next couple of months riding 11,000 miles around North America. The first thing I did when I got home was switch back to the stock exhaust.

YMMV

Bob

I'm glad the new exhaust makes you happy. To be honest, you won't get too many atta boys on this forum for an aftermarket exhaust. My RS had a Remus system on it when I bought it. Yes it sounded beefier than the stock pipe and it wasn't that loud, but the droning at road speed drove me nuts. Fortunately, I got the factory exhaust along with some other bits when I bought the bike. I am much less fatigued after a long riding day with the quieter pipe. I also get a kick out of seeing people react to a quiet motorcycle.

bluesguitarboy

DSC_0871.jpg

Yea I am keeping my stock. But I hear you should ride with earplugs anyway just because of wind noise. Also funny thing on the highway I really can't hear the exhaust.

Attaboy! Pulled mine off at 3000 miles. I went with a Staintune tough. Now at 88,000 miles, still smiling. Ear plugs are an option I use when on the highway.

So, where can you buy some hi-viz chaps with reflective fringe?

Maybe get a Starbucks tattoo?

Whole new market of crossover vehicles.

-----

Don't pay any attention to the naysayers. They are the same guys you remember from school that used to tell the teacher everybody that did anything they weren't supposed to.

It's your bike, if they don't like it tell them to pass you. If they can....

Starfighter

I put a Remus on my LT when the stock header cracked.

Much heavier gauge material than BMW.

Was a bit too loud for me so I tuned it down by inserting a length of tubing in the tail pipe...

(also big improvement in power with the remus)

I'm glad the new exhaust makes you happy. To be honest, you won't get too many atta boys on this forum for an aftermarket exhaust. My RS had a Remus system on it when I bought it. Yes it sounded beefier than the stock pipe and it wasn't that loud, but the droning at road speed drove me nuts. Fortunately, I got the factory exhaust along with some other bits when I bought the bike. I am much less fatigued after a long riding day with the quieter pipe. I also get a kick out of seeing people react to a quiet motorcycle.

As far as I'm concerned it's his bike so he can do with it as he pleases. On the other hand I agree wholeheartedly with your comment because I get that sort of reaction quite often. I love it when people notice my bike running either alongside them in traffic or idling in my driveway and see them smile. Yes, as much as it's fun to hear a "rumble" noise it's also fun to make a positive impression and chip away at stereotypical image of loud motorcycles.

My RS had a Remus system on it when I bought it. Yes it sounded beefier than the stock pipe and it wasn't that loud, but the droning at road speed drove me nuts. Fortunately, I got the factory exhaust along with some other bits when I bought the bike. I am much less fatigued after a long riding day with the quieter pipe.

Similar story...

My RT came with a D&D and, although lighter by quite a bit, it was entirely too loud even though I always wear earplugs. Stock also came with the bike so shortly after getting it home, the D&D went to a box for shipping, waiting on a buyer, ever since.

Yes, anyone can do what they want with their machine even if it makes it louder... within reason.

For myself the older I get the more OK I am with sounding like a sewing machine.

maybe not a mortal sin, but you'll go back to the quiet side....in time.

I've found the Oilhead has a nice subdued howl when pushing hard. It's on a different wavelength that maybe some dogs fully hear, but definitely there and quite pleasing to the ear.

Its nice to wick the throttle really hard, enjoy the rush of acceleration, but not disturb a fly.

RPG

I installed a Laser system on mine and never looked back. Great sound. BTW , BMW installed Laser exhausts , and is now installing both Remus and Akropovic at the factory on certain models. Guess they do not hate them either.

• 3 weeks later...

Sooooo. Nobody (virtually) has put a two brothers exhaust on their 1100 and 1150rt's, but two brothers has a model just for them. I for one would love more feedback on exactly how they change the sound and how loud they are. They offer 2 models of mini silencers that you can install in the muffler if you like. I personally like to hear the pipes more than the valve train clatter, even if just slightly. I like it to 'sound' at least somewhat like a motorcycle, not like a big Vespa. But before I buy, I'd like to hear one! Any one of you guys have one for sale?

JOHNNYWISHBONE

I had a white brothers exhaust on a R100/7. for one day. loud belongs on some bikes. not on BMW. this DEUCE gets 110 ft lb torque. 117 mph. very easy to ride.

"quiet riot" baffle. only loud when you push it. then, ears bleed. on sale, $15,000. i just got a new RT.

DSC00192.jpg

Sooooo. Nobody (virtually) has put a two brothers exhaust on their 1100 and 1150rt's, but two brothers has a model just for them. I for one would love more feedback on exactly how they change the sound and how loud they are. They offer 2 models of mini silencers that you can install in the muffler if you like. I personally like to hear the pipes more than the valve train clatter, even if just slightly. I like it to 'sound' at least somewhat like a motorcycle, not like a big Vespa. But before I buy, I'd like to hear one! Any one of you guys have one for sale?

Two bikes ago I had an RS which had transmission issues. After getting it fixed I was talked into replacing the stock system based on the theory that the cat was cooking the transmission oil. I went with the Two Brothers as it was inexpensive and the folks at 2-bros assured me it had a "nice mellow sound". Total BS. I nicknamed it the muffler for sociopaths. It was way loud and an embarrassment to ride. I sold it after a couple of months of trying very hard to like it. The guy who bought it transported it home strapped to the back of his seat and it fell off on his way home. He never found it. A proper end to that muffler.

Years ago a few people were using the the Two Bros. headers and a used stock VFR muffler and seemed to like the results. Me, I like quiet.

I dont mind a bit of rumble in a bike, and oddly enough my wife who doesnt really like bikes as a rule PREFERS loud pipes. She says she likes to hear a bike coming.

I prefer my BMW quiet, but its cool if someone want to hear it.

Funny story: When I first bought my RT I went over to an old Harley buddies to show it off, he loved it until I started it. Then of course the teasing and harassment started...."my kids 50 is louder than that...when are you gonna start it...and of course"is that thing running yet?" My answer was.."nope, Im just hemming my pants" and rode off smiling

I guess I have to fess up as well. Last summer when I had a tire blow, I called every dealer within several hundred miles to try and find a tire for my 1150RT, to no avail. I then walked to the end of the block, where an HD dealer sat. Lo and behold, they had a tire that fit the rear of my bike! They got me in and out in about 2 hours (from time of arrival) and I drove off with a new Dunlop on the back....complete with the words Harley Davidson in raised black letters. It has about the deepest tread for a rear tire I have ever seen. The book they used told us it is a fit for the V-Rod. It has held up well for the 3,000 miles it has on my bike. I keep waiting for my site glass to pop out and drip oil.....

I had never ridden a more comfortable better engineered bike I was sold and went out and bought and RT. The only think I hated was the sound and now I don't hate that anymore. This bike just continues to impress.

IMHO, part of the "comfortable" feeling of the RT is the low sound levels. More sound = fatigue = less comfort. Just roll down your car windows and do a 500 mile trip if you don't think so.

The RT is not a show bike in the sense of a custom cruiser or modded crotch rocket. So most mods to it are not going to impress the cafe crowd anyway. My $0.02. Good luck though.

I really think it was a greater venial sin. Oh God that brings me back to my youth in Catholic school.

I like the quiet of the original exhaust. To that I add earplugs. Oh well, to each his own.

On my first 1100RT, I installed a used Remus. Took it for a ride locally. Music.

That weekend I went for a long ride (a 640-mile Saturday). Sunday I took the Remus off.

A modest but throaty exhaust note can be pleasant in small doses. But a steady, day-long stream of barking power pulses gets irritating. At least to me.

Mortal sin--yes agree, you be going straight down when you die. :D:D

But I just gotta know, did the flaming doo-rag come with the non-muffler or was that extra? :rofl::rofl:

I "thought about it" meaning I thought some noise would'nt hurt.My wife who still rides a Harley say's

"My Lawnmower is louder than that thing"

After some thought I agree with what has been said. The quiet has a great deal to do with the level of comfort.

The very reason I sold my Harley

It has been said if you really want to get someones attention... Whisper.

I am planning an IBA ride in June I think I will keep it quiet.

I've got an 04 R1150R I've been tinkering with quite a bit.

Incl the exhaust. But kept it simple and cheap.

First thing, I am NOT a long distance rider with this machine,

so enjoy a little more "masculine" sound.

The way I have it, you can hear it without ear plugs on the

road at steady speed but just sort of "in the background".

Not at all annoying or overbearing.

When you get on the loud pedal, then it sounds off pretty decently.

http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/macx351/Exhaust%20Tip%202/

I bought my bike used with a Remus on it. I rode a few miles and liked the tone. I normally wear ear plugs anyway so it's noise ought to fade into the background.

bluesguitarboy

I recently installed the power tip on my 2 bros. DSC_0872-1.jpg it quiets the pipe 8 decibels now on long rides the wind noise bothers me more than the pipe. I agree without the tip the pipe gave me a headache. Now I love it.

Archived