IGNORED

Front Brake Rotors... Please tell I didn't mess something up!

Pat Buzzard

Pat Buzzard

OK, so I got the bike out for it's first ride of the season today. While going at slower speeds I heard some funky noises coming from the front end, but they went away after I got up to speed. Upon returning from 60 miles of sheer ecstasy I did a quick post ride inspection and discovered that their was some resistance\noise when I spun the front wheel. It felt like the brake was grabbing. I then touched the front brake discs and to my surprise\shock\horror they are loose! Both rotors have side to side play in them. WHAT DO I DO?!! HOW DO I FIX THIS!??!?!

I then touched the front brake discs and to my surprise\shock\horror they are loose! Both rotors have side to side play in them. WHAT DO I DO?!! HOW DO I FIX THIS!??!?!

By tightening them for starters. Then tell us if you still have play or warp. If the rotors are not worn down to spec, your bobbins might need to be replaced.

Relax .....

Side to side play is ok, its play in a front to back direction that would be a problem signifying that the bobbins were worn ( they are replaceable ).

And the noises at set off I would suspect are normally those atributed to the ABS engaging / setting up as you ride off

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Brakes can rub at low friction levels and make noise without damaging anything. I'd first make sure the bobbins aren't worn per the prior post.

Then, take the bike out without touching the front brake. Get up to a 30 ish MPH and make a stop using the rear brake. Get off the bike and see if the front rotor is hot/warm. It should be tepid at most if the front wasn't used. If it is, your calipers could be sticky due to dirt or just age.

As others have said - the side to side play is normal and deliberate. It is designed to reduce the chance of disk warping and to allow the disk to self-align with the calipers. The rotor is held on by bobbins which will wear over time. The check for good bobbins is to try to rotate the disk with respect to the wheel. Fore and aft play indicates worn bobbins which are a cheap and easy fix.

Andy

Archived