IGNORED

Garmin Europe Maps - Disc or Download??

SK_in_AB

I got a Nuvi 1490 for Christmas. Of course its not biking weather here yet, but I am going to Italy/France in 2 weeks on holiday, and plan to take the Garmin for the rental car. This unit only has N.American maps, but Europe City Navigator is available for ~$100.

My question - is the CD disk version better than a download? I understand I can use my home computer then to plan trips, but do the full maps then transfer to the hand unit or just the trip route?

Why or why not just download the software directly onto the handheld? For this trip I am not planning detailed routes, but I might in the future with my bike rides.

What is the advantage (if any) of buying the SD card version?

Any help from the board appreciated.

PS: As I am leaving in 2 weeks I need to decide in a couple days if a disc is to be shipped out in time.

... but Europe City Navigator is available for ~$100.

My question - is the CD disk version better than a download? I understand I can use my home computer then to plan trips, but do the full maps then transfer to the hand unit or just the trip route?

Why or why not just download the software directly onto the handheld? For this trip I am not planning detailed routes, but I might in the future with my bike rides.

What is the advantage (if any) of buying the SD card version?

Any help from the board appreciated.

PS: As I am leaving in 2 weeks I need to decide in a couple days if a disc is to be shipped out in time.

Went down that path in Oct 2010, had borrowed a friend's Nuvi 550 but I had to buy EU maps. Disk didn't arrive in time, so at 8pm the night before departure I went to Wal-Mart and got an SD card, then went online to Garmin and downloaded the City Navigator Europe NT map pack. Fired up just fine when loaded into the GPS and the level of detail was simply amazing. We were in Milan, Bologna, Minerbio, Florence, Vercelli and Cervinia but the map never had a hiccup.

Note that the SD card will be locked in to that specific GPS and can't be used on another, whereas a disk might not have the same restriction.

Neither method is very good but they do work.

Some issues

1) As noted you will have to have enough memory. Most (all??) current Garmins can't hold all of North America/US maps let alone add Europe unless you have a card. Odd given the very low prices for memory these days. You might want to discuss this with the folks on their tech line for your model.

2) Last time I did a disc, all it did was refer you to an online download anyway

3) Garmin map downloads take hour(s) on broadband - I've got lifetime updates on mine but its such a damn nuisance I do it only periodically- like once every couple years.

4) FWIW- I wouldn't do and part of Europe without good local maps. Planning is slow and a nuisance on a gps cpmapred to maps though the gps cam mke city navigation simpler/easier. Both have uses.

thanks for the responses.

I talked to Garmin today. THey said even using the download I can load it on my computer first then select maps to put on a SD to transfer to the Nuvi. Also if the computer ever crashes or i lose the software I can get a free re-install.

Sounds like there is no reason to buy a dvd and risk it doesnt' arrive before I leave in 12 days.

Archived