IGNORED

New shocks for ESA

Pletch

What are the recommendations and preferences out there for new shocks on an 06 R12RT with ESA? I am having some trouble finding quality shocks that mate up with the ESA on my bike. I am over 22k with mostly 2 up riding so I am sure I am due a new set, plus I have felt some fade in deeper curves.

Thanks

just ditched ESA and installed Ohlins in their place. Yes, not as convenient, but nowhere near the price of new BMW ESA struts (I realize that's not the same as grafting the existing ESA components onto new struts/springs from a third party supplier to retain ESA functionality). The only thing I adjust on my Ohlins is rear pre-load based on load carried.

Hyperpro. See http://www.epmperf.com/ I tested these shocks (non-ESA, on my 2004 RT) for MCN, and they were great. More importantly, Klaus definitely knows what he's doing regarding tuning and setup. A few on the board have already used his Hyperpro ESA combo and I believe they're happy.

-MKL

I purchased Hyperpro shocks for ESA last year. Here is the quote that I got then, probably more $ now:

The Hyperpro shock has some advantages over other products

on the marketplace today.

--- It has a 16 mm shaft which is not only sturdier, but also displaces

more oil in the compression stroke so that you can regulate the compression

and rebound damping better.

--- The shocks have a new seal design which has been proven in tough

Moto-cross competition use and showed that it is far better than others when

it comes to leakers.

--- The Hyperpro " 3 D " shock utilizes the "Bladder" technology when it

comes to separate the oil from nitrogen gas. Other manufacturers utilize a

floating piston. A floating piston always has to overcome stiction first

before it begins to move. A rubber bladder does not "know" what friction or

stiction is and therefore reacts smoother and quicker to pressure changes.

--- The Hyperpro shocks come with a progressive spring to ensure a compliant

ride and to prevent bottoming out under load.

The shocks are all black with a purple spring.

A black spring is an alternative.

Front shock: Model 360 = $ 569.00

with adjustable rebound damping

Rear shock: Model 460 = $ 589.00

with adjustable rebound damping

Removing ESA components from OEM shocks and installing them on the new Hyperpro shocks = $ 250.00

The shocks come with a 2 year warranty, and are fully rebuildable.

You will be asked to set the ESA in a certain position prior to disconnecting and removing the shocks.

Upon receiving your shocks we will check the ESA functionality of pre-load and rebound adjusters to make sure they operate.

Delivery time : we try our best to get the order from the manufacturer and

ship it to you within 3 - 4 weeks.

Our shipping charges are based on UPS Ground shipments.

It can take up to 6 business days to some western parts of the country.

S&H within the continental US = $ 35.00

About $1450.

I am happy with the shocks, but the turnaround time took longer than quoted.......

The computer on my bike also needed a dealer visit (additional $150) before the pre-load would work correctly.

The 2005-2007 bikes have a different sensor system for the pre-load that can cause problems similar to mine. Once I got the shocks to talk to the computer correctly all is good! I DO like them :thumbsup: They work much better than the stock shocks. My 2004 RT had Ohlins and they worked great as well :)

Your info says you're in Heidelberg, Germany (beautiful area) so this suggestion may be meaningless to you, but here is a website you might look at and contact for info regarding the rebuilding your OEM ESA shocks and replacing the valving with much higher grade components for a HUGE savings over the cost of new shocks.

IF you actually are in Germany, they might be able to steer you to a European counterpart.

It is most definitely worth a look.

I have 28K miles on my 05RT with ESA and I WILL be letting them do the rebuild on mine when I decide the time is right!

Good Luck!

Bernd (formerly from Berlin)

http://www.racetech.com/page.aspx?id=97&menuid=125

Your info says you're in Heidelberg, Germany (beautiful area) so this suggestion may be meaningless to you, but here is a website you might look at and contact for info regarding the rebuilding your OEM ESA shocks and replacing the valving with much higher grade components for a HUGE savings over the cost of new shocks.

IF you actually are in Germany, they might be able to steer you to a European counterpart.

It is most definitely worth a look.

I have 28K miles on my 05RT with ESA and I WILL be letting them do the rebuild on mine when I decide the time is right!

Good Luck!

Bernd (formerly from Berlin)

http://www.racetech.com/page.aspx?id=97&menuid=125

Have you gotten a price for a ESA shock rebuild yet?

When I contacted them a few months ago, they said that if I bring the ESA shocks to them, off the bike, the approx cost for BOTH will be around $600. I hope the guy I was talking to knew what he was talking about. If so, then it sure beats the beejeezers out of close to $4K for a new set from BMW.

BTW...they are in Corona, CA.

Here's a link to to a thread about Works ESA shocks. Has install pics as well. I also went with Works shortly after Tapatio's thread and found them to be a tremendous improvement on my 06.

Tapatio's Works thread

My ESA just started acting goofy. I replaced them with Ohlins. Seems that much of the time its the electronics that fail on the ESA systems ... so it made more sense to me to just ditch the electronics.

I stopped by the nearby RaceTech facility in Corona, SoCal yesterday and they looked my 05 RT over and quoted me $1100-$1150 to rebuild BOTH my OEM-ESA shocks with high performance valving set to my weight and riding preferences.

The price I mentioned a few postings ago was for ONE shock, sorry 'bout that mistake.

Still, $1150 instead of $4000 is very acceptable, don't you think?

I'd save about $100 if I took the uninstalled shocks to them. Not worth the hassle IMO.

I stopped by the nearby RaceTech facility in Corona, SoCal yesterday and they looked my 05 RT over and quoted me $1100-$1150 to rebuild BOTH my OEM-ESA shocks with high performance valving set to my weight and riding preferences.

The price I mentioned a few postings ago was for ONE shock, sorry 'bout that mistake.

Still, $1150 instead of $4000 is very acceptable, don't you think?

I'd save about $100 if I took the uninstalled shocks to them. Not worth the hassle IMO.

I call them today and got the same price. I think I'm going to have them do it, they said it would take a week.

GREAT!

PLEASE let us know the outcome if you do decide to go thru with it. I'm approaching a point where I will need to make a decision.

Regards

Bernd

• 2 months later...

Hey Bswag, how is the Race Tech upgrade working for you? I presume they are putting in the Gold Valve Emulators.

I'm planning on doing mine on my 2007 R1200RT that has ESA.

Let me know.

Thx,

Rainor

Hey Bswag, how is the Race Tech upgrade working for you? I presume they are putting in the Gold Valve Emulators.

I'm planning on doing mine on my 2007 R1200RT that has ESA.

Let me know.

Thx,

Rainor

I had 70k when I did mine, it's better than it was, but I think if I were to do it again I would not keep the ESA. I would put a good non ESA shock on. They did the complete rebuild with the gold valving and new springs for my weight. It works real good when I'm pushing hard in the twisty, but it's a little harsh when I'm riding around town, just not enought adjustment with the ESA, with the proper spring weight for me. If I set it on comfort with one helmet on the freeway, and it seems to me like it doesen't have enought rebound dampening, when I hit a bump it rebounds a little faster than I like. The front is harsh and you can't do anything with the spring rate with the ESA, but again when riding hard in the twisty it feel good.

Bernd,

Thanks. Yeah I actually am in HD, more percisely, I live in Walldorf but work in HD, been here about 12 years now.

Dan

+1 on Racetech. Be aware that their gold valves will not fit in an ohlins body. I ran into that problem while having them go through my R1200S with factory Ohlins. Still, they know their business and if you live in SoCal it is worth it to give them the bike as they will test ride it and make sure the suspension is perfect for your weight.

JT

Archived