IGNORED

R1100RT windshield motor

pwerlink

My movable windshield started operating intermittently and now has quit altogether. Dealer says it's probably a relay or switch as the motor rarely goes bad. Question: where specifically are the up & down relays? They don't appear to be in the relay box under the seat. Any suggestions?

Clive Liddell

The front fairing will have to come off (after both side fairings, the windscreen and instrument panel cover are off) to get to all relays and connections.

I had similar issues with my windshield but not to the extreme you describe. I would first try the simplest solution, which by the way solved my problem. I cleaned out the switch by squirted WD-40 into it. Worked it a little and repeated the WD-40 application again. It's been a year now and it is still working fine. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the ones that solve the problem. Give it a shot it can't hurt.

Ken

hi mate

this is a common problem and always like to answer it .

Remve the nose cone and associated bits infront of you to your left will be 2 grey relays these are for the up/down on the screen, unfortunatley they are beneath a water trap .

what i did with mine was clean all of the connections and checked the screen was working , when i was happy with the screen i covered the relays and connections with clear silicone, no problems now it works just fine. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Switch gear on motorcycle needs to be cleaned evey once in awhile. When you ride in the rain, or wash your bike, you are getting moisture in the switches. Radio Shack sells some stuff called contact cleaner. There are other brands available in the electronics industry. Use it to blow the accumulated crap out of you switch gear every once in a while and it will stay happy longer. I used to use WD40 after using contact cleaner. Now I use Bo-Shield. It is marketed by Aerostitch. www.aerostitch.com. Before you start tearing tupperwear off, clean the switch with contact cleaner and then lube it with WD40 or Bo-Shield. I find that the high-beam rocker and the windshield switch on my 97 need the most frequent cleaning. The turn signal cancel has also hung up. The contact cleaner has pretty good preasure and flys every where when you use it. Cover every thing else on the bike with old towels first. You were warned.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I cleaned out the switch by squirted WD-40 into it. Worked it a little and repeated the WD-40 application again. It's been a year now and it is still working fine.

The switches are supposed to be waterproof, but after time the rubber boots may crack. WD-40 in the switchgear may help, and it's easier than the relays.

I actually replaced one of the switches several years ago, and that fixed my problem at the time. Then a month ago the "down" function became intermittent. I could hear the relays clicking, so I knew the switch was working. At El Paseo last weekend I replaced the relays. PITA, as you have to strip off all the tupperware including the nose fairing, but it worked. It seems to be the connections between the relay and its socket; subject to corrosion over time.

Relays are to the right of and above the headlight, inside the nose fairing.

Archived