IGNORED

Tires

Tshader

I have recently noticed a new tire brand, at least to me, on the market namely SHINKO. I have done a little research on them and discovered that this company bought YOKOHAMA. I have always stuck with Michelin, Metzeler or Avon, well known name brands. Now, with the way the economy is and the price of tires in specific, I am leaning toward the Shinko tires where I can save over a hundred dollers per set for my R1150RT. Has anyone out there run these Shinkos (Ravens or Verge) on their RT and if so what did you think of them? Any feedback would be helpful. :S

Thanks in advance.

Shinkos have been around a while. I've used them on a Triumph America, they worked fine. There are those who say Shinkos are too cheap to be good. Maybe that's why they're getting more expensive. Like the guy who goes to a tailor and says how much is that suit, tailor says $500, guy says I want a more expensive suit, tailor says, OK, the suit is $1000, guy says great, I'll take it. Once Shinkos get expensive enough, maybe they'll get better reviews, or at least reviews from people who use them. They don't have a 100% success rate (they have a failure every now and again). Of course every other tire has a %100 success rate, especially the gold plated ones. If I could find them in the weird size the R1100RT uses, I'd get them. Of course you don't know me from Adam, so take it for what it's worth.

Had Shinko dual sport tires on my GS. Liked them alot. Yes, sold the GS before they got alot of miles on them, but I liked them from the day there were put on, good grip, good feed back. I think I had 3K on them when I sold the bike. Some have complained about failures, but my tires never showed any odd wear or characteristics, unlike the Continentals that developed a wobble at less the 2K miles. Contacted Continental who said, sorry to hear that, we have never heard of that problem. Must be your bike. A quick google search found all kinds of complaints for the tires I was running.

So I figured why not give the inexpensive tires a shot.

I have approx. 8K miles on a pair of Shinko tires on my R1200RT. They've carried me through the heat of the SW and the rain of the NW since last year and didn't do to bad in the snow/slush on the commute home yesterday. The cheapest thing about the tire is the name, a fair tire at a fair price.

I have approx. 8K miles on a pair of Shinko tires on my R1200RT. They've carried me through the heat of the SW and the rain of the NW since last year and didn't do to bad in the snow/slush on the commute home yesterday. The cheapest thing about the tire is the name, a fair tire at a fair price.

What model Shinko are you using on your RT?

Thanks

What model Shinko are you using on your RT?

Thanks

F009 and R009, designation for Ravens front and rear respectively.

I have been thru three sets of the Advance 005's and am currently running Raven 009's. I have found both styles to handle great in all weather and road conditions.

I get between 7500 to 8000 miles plus from the 005's and at present have over 3000 on the 009;s and showing only a minimum of wear.

For the price I don't see how one could do better.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the Shinko tires. I will probably try a set of the Ravens on my RT. I'll give my feedback a little later in the year.

Ride safe and often!!!

Archived