IGNORED

Zion and Vermillion Cliffs - 6 Images

Twisties

Went down to retrieve our bikes and trailer from Phoenix this weekend. Took the route through Zion and then up to Jacob Lake. A few pics from along the way:

1195683338_xQxtQ-O.jpg

I love the bokeh (out of focus background) that the red rocks of Zion made in this image. I guess these are Desert Bighorn Sheep Ewes, although Sharon and Jean seemed to think they are some kind of goat.

1195683315_YUfXk-O.jpg

This is actually the same image with less crop.

1195683280_5TEb7-O.jpg

This is a different individual, and she was in the Ponderosa Pines, for a little different lighting and background.

1195683359_bAbJC-O.jpg

And the third of the group, looks like she has been eating well, or is about to drop a lamb.

This is now the second time we have seen members of this herd, twice in a row, actually. Last time it was March and there were new lambs gamboling about.

1195683282_DLRik-O.jpg

Zion

1195683334_TzGhc-O.jpg

Vermillion Cliffs.

The sheep are with my 3 yo Rebel XSi and a 400mm lens. The two landscapes are some first shots with my new camera and lens... which I will need to get the hang of with time.

Doesn't look like your camera???

Did you upgrade?

Nice stuff!!!

I got a 5D Mark II and a 17-40mm lens. It's only been out of the house twice, and based on initial impressions, the old Rebel with the crop sensor is actually better for the wildlife shots, at least if the light is good. The 5D seems better for landscape. This is pretty much consistent with what you read, but actually getting out and experiencing it is a little different.

If you noticed, Sharon's shots at the Farmington Bay site are actually better than mine using a camera with a crop sensor like the Rebel, we were both using similar lenses. I couldn't get that eagle at all. Using the 5D in that setting was a mistake.

So this time I kept both cameras ready, the wildlife lens on the Rebel, and the landscape lens on the 5D. That was pretty much the plan anyway, but this was the first time I actually got out and tried it.

The macro shots are going to be interesting. The lines are not so clear cut as between wildlife and landscape. The 5D won't be capable of as much magnification as the Rebel, but has much better low light performance. I lose a lot of macro shots to low light.

Ideally I ought to get a new crop body, the T2i, which would allow better low light performance. But, as Scott (Couchrocket) pointed out in another thread, we also have had improvements in noise reduction in the software. I need to go back and take another look at some high iso shots I thought were trash from the old Rebel and see if I can reprocess them with the new software and I might just find that I don't need a T2i after all.

Glad everyone enjoyed the pics, we were pretty excited to find those Bighorn again.

Meanwhile, someone just gave me an old Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens. Did you know that for about $8 you can buy a reversing ring, and mount these lenses (old 50 mm or 35 mm with manual f-stop control) backwards and use them for macro? The reversing ring should be here tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. But I am expecting to be able to achieve much greater magnification than what you have seen before.

I got a 5D Mark II and a 17-40mm lens. It's only been out of the house twice, and based on initial impressions, the old Rebel with the crop sensor is actually better for the wildlife shots, at least if the light is good. The 5D seems better for landscape. This is pretty much consistent with what you read, but actually getting out and experiencing it is a little different.

Jan,

You'll discover three main differences with the FF 5D II from the crop sensor. Assuming you're shooting RAW. First, the need to be sensitive to DOF issues as the "apparent" DOF at any given aperture is less. Second, the huge resolution of the 21+ mp sensor means that you can and will need to use more aggressive sharpening in PP than you do on crop sensors (you may have noticed already that your unprocessed RAW files have a softer look to them when starting out). Third, very high resolution large sensors are much less tolerant of camera movement. Very small amounts of camera shake in landscape shots will be detectable. Sounds weird, but true.

Nice photos, by the way! And enjoy that 5D II. My son has one and I do some processing and printing for him. VERY nice files to work with.

Jan,

You'll discover three main differences with the FF 5D II from the crop sensor. Assuming you're shooting RAW. First, the need to be sensitive to DOF issues as the "apparent" DOF at any given aperture is less. Second, the huge resolution of the 21+ mp sensor means that you can and will need to use more aggressive sharpening in PP than you do on crop sensors (you may have noticed already that your unprocessed RAW files have a softer look to them when starting out). Third, very high resolution large sensors are much less tolerant of camera movement. Very small amounts of camera shake in landscape shots will be detectable. Sounds weird, but true.

Nice photos, by the way! And enjoy that 5D II. My son has one and I do some processing and printing for him. VERY nice files to work with.

Thanks Scott! Always appreciate your input.

Archived