IGNORED

Removing tele-lever

canoehead

I have to swap out a tele-lever. I'm concerned that something's amiss. Clymers says unscrew the bolt on right side and then drift shaft out. The bolt on that side just seems to turn without loosening. There's a large allen screw on the other side, it doesn't move when I turn the bolt on the right side. I didn't see any indication of a left hand thread, so I assumed normal rules apply.

Am I doin' something wrong?

Okay, the job's done, everything went smooth once I went into town and bought the 12mm allen wrench to remove the cap. I said Clymer's above, it was actually the Haynes manual I was following. It was a bit sparse on detail and they missed some necessary steps. The link to the fiche diagram gave me enough detail to confirm what I figured, there had to be something under the large allen screw. I wasn't holding the opposite end of the pivot shaft, so when I was loosening the bolt visible on the circlip side, the shaft was just spinning round. Once I got the cap off and had a wrench on both ends of the shaft, the rest of the swap was fairly quick and painless.

Mike, the A-arm arrived Friday. Was going to send you an email from the office Monday. Thanks for getting it to me so promptly.

Archived