IGNORED

Some Quick help needed BMW Z3

azkaisr

Wife has sold her F650GS since she isn't riding it at all. So today we stumble upon an add for a 2001 Z3 RagTop. She wants a car she can take to the office, and leave the Tundra and its gas guzzling ways at home.

Anyone own one of these? Curious if I need to look for anything else. Going to gander at 1pm today.

Tommy

Tom,

I bought a Silver 2001 model back in 2004.

It was the 3.0 liter with auto transmission, and I think 17k miles.

Fun Fun car to drive.

It was the first car I ever owned that had wider wheels in the rear than in the front, so rotating was not an option.

It ran like a Swiss watch for over 30k, then one day the water pump went out. When the belt flew off, it punched a hole in the radiator.

Major overheating occurred before I realized what had happened.

Price tag for that repair:

$1700 :(

3 months later the auto transmission lets go.... probably related to the overheat condition earlier.

By now the car is 2k out of warranty.

Price tag for this repair:

The dealer wanted $6700.

Cottmans ended up doing it for $3300. :P

Next trip was to the dealer, and surprisingly I got a decent trade-in for it. :thumbsup:

Now I'm not saying that this is a normal Z3 experience, but it is my experience.

I have since then learned that in some models, the water pump was a weak spot. And if I had were to buy another, I would go with a manual gearbox.

If you are going to buy one I would consider a certified used one. You can go on the BMW website and search all dealers in the US. If that is more money than you want to spend. Take it to the dealer that did the service on it and get them to look it over. It may cost you 3 hrs of labor, but well worth it at the end. The BMW engines are very smooth and last for ever. We had a 2000 325i, traded it in with 260,000.00 km on it. I had a 2004 330i and traded it it with 170,000, never spent a cent.

A 10 year old vehicle could end up costing you a bit in repairs. You may want to consider a Mazda Miata, cheaper vehicle, and loads of fun.

Just curious, how many miles on it?

Bought one for my wife in 2004. she has 120K on it. runs great. Had to replace the injector control Box. $900

She has offers all the time to buy it from her. Won't sell.

We had a new Dakar Yellow 2001 Z3 Coupe which we drove for 3 years and 36000 miles. Ran flawlessly and we have kicked ourselves ever since that we let it go off lease.

No experience with Z3, but I owned 2 Miatas that were rock solid reliable, got very good mileage, and were a hoot to drive.

And...you'd have your very own Miata expert handy when you needed him...Mr. Olson!

I owned a 2000 M Roadster.

You do NOT want to own a BMW that's out of warranty - period.

They can be a money pit for necessary maintenance let alone mechanical issues. This is a primary reason their values drop like a rock after the warranty ends. Certified will get 6 years or 100k miles from original in service date, but after that its, "WHAT? How much did you say that would cost? Holy Cow!"

Mike Miller is tech editor for Bimmer mag and his "old school" maintenance schedule has water pump and in many cases, the radiator being replaced at 70,000 miles on many models as "routine". He is very down on their auto transmissions passed 75,000 miles also. If she wants a convert, might look at Honda 2000, Lexus 250 or even a Miata...you'll get longer service with less cost...unless of course it's I gotta have the BMW or else.

If I were in your position I'd look at the Honda S2000 and Miata.

I owned a 2003 Z4 (64k) for 6 years, under warranty. I lived 3 blocks from the dealer and knew the mechanics, managers, porters and the doorman on a first name basis.

One reason I sold it before I left Chicago is that the nearest BMW dealer was going to be 45 minutes away from my home here. And...in snow, it was like driving a beach ball. (run flat tires)

Haven't owned a z3/4...but have owned 3 BMW cars all bought new. We put over 150k on the first two with no wrenches on the them other than maintenance, and I am on my 3rd BMW right now. It has a mere 135k. I had to replace 1 tail light bulb in the current...so inspite of the previous posters view... I wouldn't buy anything else.

We went and saw the car. We loved the ride, but got a really negative vibe from the owner. No question was answered in a straightforward way so in the end we passed for now and will keep looking for another car for Laura. Thanks all, I can see one in our future should it be the one.

Tommy

... I wouldn't buy anything else.

Gotta agree Tommy. I've got an '01 with the 2.5L and 5-speed, it's a great little car. Planted on the hiway at speed (although a little noisy w/the single layer soft top), gets around 30 mpg (hwy), and is a hoot in the twisties (very well balanced w/the smaller, lighter engine). With the top down, it's as much fun as you can have, and the exhaust note and long hood with center bulge are reminiscent of an XKE, albeit in 2/3 scale.

I've put about 7,000 miles on it in five years (have other cars) and it's got around 91k now with no issues, very reliable. When shopping for a used premium German car, try not to find a bargain, the cheap ones will usually bite back and cost even more down the road. Look for a one or two owner, preferably w/maintenance history that documents the mileage (and sometimes even high mileage can mean repairs are already done and the price should be significantly lower) and owner care, and pay a fair price. It's already depreciated more than it should've because most people are rightfully scared that Hanzi and Franzi are going to pump You up when it's time for service. :)

Find an independent shop you trust that know the cars for maintenance, it's worth doing the research on this. If costly repairs are worrisome put away $4-5k in reserve, that's how much is built in up front on a certified car, you'll likely never use it.

I have a 2001 Z3 3.0 Manual. 44k on clock now and only things done, front brakes and unfortunately the gyro sensor for DSC control.

I also drive other BMWs (1200RT and cars) mostly but I love this one and would not trade for a Z4 as this one has a nicer older car feel.

I also have offers all the time.

The newer the car the more critical the warranty gets. More electronics in particular and concerns all makes.

h

I have a 2000 Dakar yellow 5 speed with 30K miles. Near mint. I have owned it for 1 year but it belonged to one of my best friends previously. No problems. Great car. And FUUUN! Everything I own except my wife and kids can be bought. And on the right day...

BMW Sub-Frame Settlement Approved - Updated information as of 8/3/2009

We are pleased to report that the BMW 3 Series (E46) Sub-Frame Settlement has been granted final court approval. In response to allegations that 1999-2006 BMW 3 Series vehicles can suffer from sub-frame cracking that enlarges over time, BMW has agreed to provide the following benefits:

(1) If you paid for a sub-frame repair to your 1999-2006 BMW 3 Series vehicle, you can obtain reimbursement from BMW by submitting a completed claim form and proof of expenditure to the Claims Administrator. Claim forms can be downloaded from http://www.e46subframeclassactionsettlement.com and should be mailed to the address listed on the claim form. The deadline to postmark you claim is September 9, 2010.

(2) If you currently own or lease a 1999-2006 BMW 3 Series vehicle, you can contact an authorized BMW dealer and make an appointment to receive a free sub-frame inspection. If the inspection reveals any sub-frame cracking, the dealer will provide a free repair as well. The deadline for free sub-frame inspections is September 9, 2010, for vehicles no longer under warranty. If your vehicle remains under warranty, you will have one year from the expiration of your warranty to receive a free sub-frame inspection.

To learn more about the BMW Sub-Frame Settlement, please visit http://www.e46subframeclassactionsettlement.com, where you can download a claim form and read answers to frequently asked questions. Any extensions of the deadlines listed above will be posted on the website as well.

Many thanks to all of the BMW 3 Series owners and lessees who contacted us over the last few years to share their experiences. The relief provided through the BMW Sub-Frame litigation and settlement would not have been possible without the level of consumer involvement and concern that this issue received.

Girard Gibbs llp

601 California Street, Suite 1400

San Francisco, CA 94108

Phone: (415) 981-4800

Fax: (415) 981-4846

www.girardgibbs.com

If you are going to buy one I would consider a certified used one. You can go on the BMW website and search all dealers in the US.

This is good advice, though a vehicle of that age would be beyond the BMW Certified program's age limit. I just got a certified 535xi, a great car, but the cost of repairs on newer BMWs would cause me pause if I wasn't assured that it was covered for maintenance and repairs for a decent amount of time after the purchase.

Personally, I think that the Miata would be a good alternative, too.

I've now owned several BMW's (but not a Z3). I've found them a blast to drive. Very few other cars I've owned handle as predictably nor as stable as a BMW.

The 2001 325CI is probably the closest to the model you're inquiring about. I had a 5-speed and it was on the track several times as well - its more car than I am capable of taking advantage of. And while I like the way these cars handle, I have to confess the interior quality leaves a lot to be desired. I've had parts mysteriously fall off (window trim, ashtray doors, etc.) and extraneous other oddities; all covered by warranty but not up to the quality standards of an Acura (wife owned - was flawless) or a Honda. That said, it didn't stop me from buying another one. The last (but not only) mechanical issue I had was an odd radiator fan that would just run on its own when it felt like it (even when it wasn't hot - go figure) As with any brand, while I like the reliability of the Acura/Honda, I found them both (and I'm being kind here) boring, and dull.

As for the Miata...brother has one of those - loves it. Handles well (looks like a big go-cart to me). My wife and I test drove a couple of them (and I've spent time in my brothers 2009). We found the Miata extremely cramped inside (for us).

Good luck with your search.

Mike O

I am waiting for a guy to call me back who has a 2000 with under 120K and its in good shape. Its even a 5spd. He wants a few dollars more than what I sold the moto for but like my man Bill says, you get what you pay for. Thanks all for the good words of wisdom.

Tom

Ok the plot thickens. We found another Z3 here tonight. It has lower miles, it is a 5 spd, it has a few issues that appear to be fixable

Back Window needs replacing (search of the web has them for about $275) as it is faded

There is a dent in the back left quarter panel that looks like it could be pulled out easily. I need to see how hard that is to do.

The passenger door handle needs needs some adjusting to disengage the locking mechanism

The Glove box needs replacing. It looks like someone put something heavy on it while open and it came off the hinge (did a search and can replace it for about $300.00

The Drivers seat has a small rip

The only thing I was a little put off by is that the Airbag light is on. I did a quick search on the net and found this to be mostly due to a BMW gremlin.

He is going to have the light checked tomorrow and he needs to get the title but I think we can come to a fair price. The engine was in great shape, the car shifted great and the clutch is good shape too.

I think a Miata would be a better car, with far superior handling and reliability, better fuel economy and a lower price. Just my two cents.

Although I am cramped in ours, and you would be too. Sharon loves it though, and it has become her car. I really think it would be perfect for Laura.

The Miata is pure fun to drive.

I actually fit very well in the Z3. I have driven both and they aren't really as compatible as one may think. At the end of the day, its Laura's call to make. I am just there to help drive her to pick it up

Ok the plot thickens. We found another Z3 here tonight. It has lower miles, it is a 5 spd, it has a few issues that appear to be fixable

Back Window needs replacing (search of the web has them for about $275) as it is faded

There is a dent in the back left quarter panel that looks like it could be pulled out easily. I need to see how hard that is to do.

The passenger door handle needs needs some adjusting to disengage the locking mechanism

The Glove box needs replacing. It looks like someone put something heavy on it while open and it came off the hinge (did a search and can replace it for about $300.00

The only thing I was a little put off by is that the Airbag light is on. I did a quick search on the net and found this to be mostly due to a BMW gremlin.

He is going to have the light checked tomorrow and he needs to get the title but I think we can come to a fair price. The engine was in great shape, the car shifted great and the clutch is good shape too.

From what you are able to see, sounds like a higher than average potential for a money pit. Any service records available? If the owner or in this case, perhaps previous owners, couldn't or didn't deliver on the relative lower cost of keeping dents and dings in check...what's that say about more costly mechanical aspects?

Good luck....remember, you get what you pay for and sometimes much less.

In response to:

Poster: Dan5620

Subject: Re: Some Quick help needed BMW Z3

Originally Posted By: azkaisr

From what you are able to see, sounds like a higher than average potential for a money pit. Any service records available? If the owner or in this case, perhaps previous owners, couldn't or didn't deliver on the relative lower cost of keeping dents and dings in check...what's that say about more costly mechanical aspects?

Good luck....remember, you get what you pay for and sometimes much less.

I agree with Dan. Maintenance records should be a must.

I'm not sure how open BMW is with service records, but they do have an electronic database that shows all service done at BMW dealerships. When I bought my 535xi, the salesman printed out the records for me, so I could see all of the work that had been done on the car.

I have a friend who's bought a couple of used Lexuses privately, and he's been successful in having the local dealer provide him the service records, even though they were not involved in the transactions. It's worth asking this of your local BMW dealer. Also, Carfax, while less than perfect, can be helpful in researching a car's history.

...The only thing I was a little put off by is that the Airbag light is on. I did a quick search on the net and found this to be mostly due to a BMW gremlin.

While not directly comparable, we had the same symptom on our Totyota 4-Runner. Took it to dealer and there was a faulty sensor in the bumper area that triggers the airbag device to deploy. Cost? $1100 (out of warranty but due to our business with the dealer we split the cost). I realize it's not the same, but the other items are cosmetic. An airbag is a safety device and you are spot on for understanding what the cause and fix could cost you.

Mike O

I have a 2001 Z3 3.0i with a 5 speed manual transmission. I bought it new and now have 108,000 fun-filled miles on it. It uses no noticeable oil between changes. Only problems were an air conditioner compressor died at 60,000 miles and a cracked cooling expansion tank at 108,000 miles. I've been very happy with the car. As far as handling as well as the Miata - In my opinion the Miata is not even in the same class as the Z3. Since delivery, I have averaged 24.5 MPG (combination city and highway driving).

Thanks for the additional feedback.

I am going to get the service records for the car. Will advise once I hear back from the owner

Tom

The engine was in great shape, the car shifted great and the clutch is good shape too.

"Raise your arms in the air and back away from the car" :)

Patience, there will be others. I'd hold off on that one Tommy, you don't want to get into the restoration business. The engine, tranny, and clutch are a given on any of them.

Course you could give in and get a Miata, but that's like having a fake birthday cake. Alot of cardboard and pretty icing but no cake in the middle. It'll probably last a long time tho'. :grin:

Thanks for the additional feedback.

I am going to get the service records for the car. Will advise once I hear back from the owner

Tom

If I remember correctly, my 2001 Z3 stored historical data in the key.

It had a microchip in it that provided the dealer with a lot of information.

I'm with Bill. I think the problems listed speaks to how well this car was taken care of, or I should say, how it wasn't taken care of.

Yeah

I agree, looking at a 1997 that is $1700 more than 2000 but only has 83k on it and comes with more options. No Power Top, but it has every option available that year and a clear title. Oh and all the service records and a guy who knows what his car has.

DSC_0179.jpg

That is a nice one! One day I want one of those. That or a 911. I found a 1983 930 Turbo last night on Craig's List, with 50 (yes, FIFTY) original miles. Problem is they want $125k for it.

-MKL

That's nice. Glad you bought with service records..if nothing else it shows the owner cared about the Bimmer...gives one some piece of mind. Travel safe.

... As far as handling as well as the Miata - In my opinion the Miata is not even in the same class as the Z3. ...

Well, the SCCA disagrees - the Z3 (4cyl) and Miata (4 cyl. 1.6 liter) are both E (Stock), while the Z3 (6 cyl) and all other Miata models (4 cyl, 1.8 ) are B (Stock) (( Source: SCCA Car Classes ))

(Generally, the lower the letter, the better the class.)

So, in the eyes of a lot of club racers, the cars are essentially equal in terms of handling & performance.

I had a Miata (several, actually) and was drawn to the Z3 when it debuted -- but on driving one (early car, 4 cyl) found it rather sluggish by comparison.

Best handling BMW car I've owned: '73 2002 Tii

Best handling car I've owned: '76 Porsche 914

Most FUN car(s) I've owned: '90/'91/'93 Miata

That said - the Z3 is certainly a great little car, and congrats Tom, on your acquisition! Hope it gives you many fun and trouble free years.

Which is why I wouldn't touch a 4cyl.

Laura will drive this way more than I will. I am really looking forward seeing her smile as we drive. She was happy as a kid last night taking the kids around the block. Once she realized that she could still drive a stick like she used to, she was "cooking with gas" :)

That said - the Z3 is certainly a great little car, and congrats Tom, on your acquisition! Hope it gives you many fun and trouble free years.

+1

Looks like a nice one Tom, I like those wheels too. Keep an eye on it though, the little buggers have a tendency to multiply when you're not payin attention :)

Archived